Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dallas Austin pardon

View Poll Results: Was Dallas Austins pardon fair?
No, too lenient.
92.86%
Fair got to keep good relations with the US even on nobodies.
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Dallas Austin pardon

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold
Default Dallas Austin pardon

Do you think this is fair. What will happen to the next guy who was found a few days later! Bet he gets the full wack!

Do you think it was fair that he was pardoned? Or was it far too lenient?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:19 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas Austin pardon

Originally Posted by Benson
Do you think it was fair that he was pardoned? Or was it far too lenient?
Unless it's been misreported, he's been quoted as saying that he didn't realise he was breaking any laws. So, in which countries exactly is it legal to smuggle in cocaine?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarethR
Unless it's been misreported, he's been quoted as saying that he didn't realise he was breaking any laws. So, in which countries exactly is it legal to smuggle in cocaine?
I don't think he meant it like that. I think he meant he didn't know it was in there so he did realise he was carrying the drugs therefore he didn't realise he was breaking the law. Still bit suspect as it was reported on the Beeb that he was attending Naiomi Campbells B'day party. WOnder if Kate Moss was invited?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Columbia
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:00 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

It's just this one rule for one and another for someone else that drives me nuts.

Not condoning anyone in this - I know a guy that got 4 years for 1 e. He claimed he thought it was a headache tablet that someone gave him. Was detained and blood tested the next day (a set up? who knows).

His defence was pretty much equivalent to Austin's - i.e. they made a mistake, didn't know they had it etc.

He get's 4 years and Austin gets a handshake and pat on the back from Big Mo.

Sickening.

(both should have got maximum of 1 year in my opinion, but the thing is they should have been treated the same)
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:06 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant he didn't know it was in there so he did realise he was carrying the drugs therefore he didn't realise he was breaking the law
Has anyone ever caught in possession of drugs (for personal use) ever admitted that they were doing so deliberately?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

How can anyone possibly accuse the UAE justice system of leniency?

Ripped from today's headlines:
http://gulfnews.com/nation/Police_an.../10051689.html

How much do you want to bet that this Omani won't be pardoned?
On another note - I've flown through that airport a half-dozen times. Their security appears to be pretty simple... how in the heck did he get nabbed? Nobody has ever looked in my wallet before.

Do they have some kind of high-tech dope sniffing system? I've never seen a drug-dog in Dubai. What do they use gypsy mind-readers? X-ray vision?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

On a related note, the Wall Street Journal published a report stating that 97% of the currency in America has traces of Coke found on it.

"The Sixth U.S.Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati also raised questions about the use of cocaine-tainted cash as evidence in a decision in January involving the seizure of $53,082. The court cited, among other studies, a test conducted four years ago by Lee Hearn, chief toxicologist for the Dade County medical examiner's officer in Miami. In a study of currency from banks in cities around the country, Mr. Hearn concluded that 97% of the bills tested positive for cocaine."

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/coca...e_media3.shtml

So... what then? Throw away your US currency before getting on the plane to UAE? In the world outside of Dubai, who hasn't got a coin with hash stuck on it at least once or twice? It's terrifying to think of the stiff penalty for "dirty change" at the checkout.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone ever caught in possession of drugs (for personal use) ever admitted that they were doing so deliberately?
What he means is he is protesting the fact he didn't know he was breaking the law as he didn't know there were drugs in the bag, wallet where ever they found them. Therefore if he didn't know the drugs were there he didn't know he was breaking the law.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:02 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
(both should have got maximum of 1 year in my opinion, but the thing is they should have been treated the same)

Both should not have got anything unless they were causing harm to others...drug laws worldwide create more problems than they solve.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Both should not have got anything unless they were causing harm to others...drug laws worldwide create more problems than they solve.
I don't fully agree with your ideas. Although directly they weren't causing anyone harm. You have to trace back from were the drugs came, which is riddled with crime, persecution and abuse. They that are buying and using drugs are supporting this. Drug use must be tackled. Sending someone to jail for 4 years isn't going to stop the problem. As has been noticed in the West, what the UAE should do is try and follow a form of passive drug rehabilitation and sentenced this guy to a few months of rehab. We have the money here, it's not just a problem of tourists in this land I am sure there are plenty of residents (alcohol abuse included) that could benefit from getting rehab for a few months rather than throw them in jail and throw away the key.

What the UAE has done here and in the case of the Indian celeb that was caught with the hash some time ago. If you are famous you can get away with anything you want! Also these guys weren't even proper A list celebs were they? I can't even say I have heard of this guy Dallas before had his collar felt. What would happen if a real Hollywood superstar was caught, even less I would of thought!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:38 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if a real Hollywood superstar was caught, even less I would of thought!
What makes you think this HASN'T happened.....
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJC
What makes you think this HASN'T happened.....
exactly, nothing. Could become a nice little haven for them couldn't it. No papparazzi, even if there is they have reported that they will clamp down harder on the Papps than Dallas got!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Autonomy
It's just this one rule for one and another for someone else that drives me nuts.

Not condoning anyone in this - I know a guy that got 4 years for 1 e. He claimed he thought it was a headache tablet that someone gave him. Was detained and blood tested the next day (a set up? who knows).

His defence was pretty much equivalent to Austin's - i.e. they made a mistake, didn't know they had it etc.

He get's 4 years and Austin gets a handshake and pat on the back from Big Mo.

Sickening.

I know, terrible init? I have started carrying panadol with me now, just incase I get a headache while listening to a thumping bass. You can't take the risk these days asking a complete stranger in club if he has any pills when all you want is an asprin for your head ache!
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fully agree with your ideas. Although directly they weren't causing anyone harm. You have to trace back from were the drugs came, which is riddled with crime, persecution and abuse. They that are buying and using drugs are supporting this.
And the reason for all the crime, persecution and abuse is because they are illigal...we've created the problem, made it worse and then we harp on about having to tackle it by doing the same things that made it worse in the first place.

This is exactly the same way many countries (such as the UAE) deal with prostitution too...and it's exactly why these issues cause as much damage as they do.

When will lawmakers realise people are going to take drugs no matter how illigal and that it would be better (and cheaper) to control the production and distribution of drugs than to leave it in the hands of criminals?

Drug use must be tackled. Sending someone to jail for 4 years isn't going to stop the problem. As has been noticed in the West, what the UAE should do is try and follow a form of passive drug rehabilitation and sentenced this guy to a few months of rehab. We have the money here, it's not just a problem of tourists in this land I am sure there are plenty of residents (alcohol abuse included) that could benefit from getting rehab for a few months rather than throw them in jail and throw away the key.
The judicial system here and in many places focuses on punishment, not rehabilitation.

The trouble with drugs is that there are many people who take them who never hurt anyone, or cause damage to society (a lot of doctors for example are regular morphine users)...just as there are many people who drink regularly and never hurt a fly.

What would happen if a real Hollywood superstar was caught, even less I would of thought!
This is the real problem - the law does not treat people equally in the UAE. I'm sure id you or I were caught with anything we would rot for at least 5 years before being deported....in the states this Austin chap would have been given the same sentance as Joe Average - but not in Dubai!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.