British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   CV Update in Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cv-update-dubai-617114/)

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 12:05 pm

CV Update in Dubai?

Does anybody know anywhere in Dubai where I can send my CV to be updated/pepped up?

Or alternatively done via the internet?

Bob Jun 27th 2009 12:54 pm

Re: CV Update in Dubai?

Do it yourself? Probably best way of doing it unless it's a shite one to begin with...plenty of tips online too.

That way, you won't get a butchered one that looks like everyone elses...

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7704516)
Do it yourself? Probably best way of doing it unless it's a shite one to begin with...plenty of tips online too.

That way, you won't get a butchered one that looks like everyone elses...

I have done it myself, and updated it. Its not sh1te, in the sense of what is in it/what I have done/achieved. As I have been working for so many years, it looks too 'busy' and a bit of a challenge to wade through.

I was looking more for alternative ways to present the information, advice on what to put in, emphasise, leave out, where to put additional detail , where not to etc, plus how to present the front page.

I had heard that there are companies who can do this.

Bob Jun 27th 2009 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 7704525)
I had heard that there are companies who can do this.

Yeah, and most of them charge a fortune and are shit...which is why your better off looking for the tips they'll charge you for online.

Also how you lay your CV out will depend on your field, so perhaps look at any trade bodies for info?

TGFKASE Jun 27th 2009 3:20 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think the OP is kinda hoping someone posts suggesting that they take their CV to a well-known, disreputable and, quite frankly, conning wuncha bankers CV service based here, in our very own Dubai????

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 3:23 pm

What a cynic!!

It was actually a genuine request. I need to get mine done as I plan to move sometime in the next 2 years and being of a senior age, need all the help I can get.

shakh your bootie Jun 27th 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 7704824)
What a cynic!!

It was actually a genuine request. I need to get mine done as I plan to move sometime in the next 2 years and being of a senior age, need all the help I can get.

What kind of profession are you in? Perhaps one of us who regularly reviews CV's as part of our jobs could help you for free?

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 3:36 pm

Education. In fact, even someone from outside education might be able to give a different angle/viewpoint.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

shakh your bootie Jun 27th 2009 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 7704856)
Education. In fact, even someone from outside education might be able to give a different angle/viewpoint.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

I've done a stint in academia - I'd be happy to look at it for you (I'm not an HR person, but I do technical interviews for engineering candidates so have a bit of experience in reviewing CV's).

I'll PM you my email address.

Anyone else better placed to help this chap out, please shout!

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 4:52 pm

Just sent you CV via email. Cheers. VM :frown:

Bob Jun 27th 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7704817)
Is it just me or does anyone else think the OP is kinda hoping someone posts suggesting that they take their CV to a well-known, disreputable and, quite frankly, conning wuncha bankers CV service based here, in our very own Dubai????

4Yr old member, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, had he only just signed up, I'd have had the same thought :D

Victor Meldrew Jun 27th 2009 5:43 pm

I signed up 4 years ago to BE, but have only just really started looking in.
You must get some dodgy characters on here for people to be so suspicious.
VM - still grumpy :frown:

littlejimmy Jun 27th 2009 6:20 pm

Don't be grumpy, VM. This board has seen a lot of trolls and fruit loops in its time, so people are naturally cynical. You just have to get your face (or your avatar - get an avatar, man!) known around here. And take everything commander says with a large pinch of salt...;)

Spugsy Jun 27th 2009 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 7704984)
Just sent you CV via email. Cheers. VM :frown:

my missus is high up HR, she can have a look and give you tips if you want, se does this sort of thing and is briliant at it, I can't promise anything but send it over and let me see what she can do.

TGFKASE Jun 28th 2009 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7705039)
4Yr old member, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, had he only just signed up, I'd have had the same thought :D

WTF?? Shouldnt he be posting in the Youth Club????