Customs Question

Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Customs Question

Originally Posted by reddiva
I love it and the drivers know me well haha
In fairness, it's not always their fault, if your name and special number aren't clear on the parcel then it arrives and is basically lost forever. Unless you do what I did and go mental for days and days and threaten to fly to the UK and find the parcel yourself.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
In fairness, it's not always their fault, if your name and special number aren't clear on the parcel then it arrives and is basically lost forever. Unless you do what I did and go mental for days and days and threaten to fly to the UK and find the parcel yourself.
Touch wood, nothing has ever gone missing
Old Jul 31st 2018, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by reddiva
Touch wood, nothing has ever gone missing
Once they have the parcel they can be awful too, just deciding to wait a few days before shipping and then charging quite a princely sum for the trouble.

Still, cheaper than flying home to buy a fleshlight the things you need.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I've used S&S a lot in the past and generally it's worked well, however, it seems to be a lot more expensive that it used to be. It's hardly worth buying stuff online (UK and US) anymore.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

would be wrong to expect vat not to be charged here just because it was charged somewhere else when there is no customs union between the countries... unless you’re importing from KSA which I doubt

Wrong technically, but not wrong through common sense. All the value being added is taking place outside the country. At best, I can understand charging VAT on the shipping fee (which of course, they do too).
Old Aug 1st 2018, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Wrong technically, but not wrong through common sense. All the value being added is taking place outside the country. At best, I can understand charging VAT on the shipping fee (which of course, they do too).
it never applies “technically”. Even in the UK.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Miss Ann Thrope;12540622]
Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1

Oh come on, you can't leave that hanging there without giving us the details...

I will only go as far as saying that said item was in a container shipped from Sheffield and when it was delivered I had to sign next to a red stamp saying “X Rated Goods Confiscated”. I’d even hidden it between loads of towels! Not my finest moment.

Last edited by Made in Sheffield 1; Aug 1st 2018 at 5:48 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I've used S&S a lot in the past and generally it's worked well, however, it seems to be a lot more expensive that it used to be. It's hardly worth buying stuff online (UK and US) anymore.
It all depends on what you buy. I buy clothes which are usually 30% cheaper in the UK than here and when the UK sales start i can save at least 60-70%. I am one of those weirdos though that goes into a shop, prices it and tries it on first
At a time i usually save AED1000
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 9:41 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I buy almost everything (except food) online and now mostly find that shipping direct from the states (Amazon) is cheaper than using S&S. As others have said, its much more expensive than it used to be and hopelessly unreliable. I've had stuff depart US and not land in Dubai for two weeks - god only knows where the products went.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
I buy almost everything (except food) online and now mostly find that shipping direct from the states (Amazon) is cheaper than using S&S. As others have said, its much more expensive than it used to be and hopelessly unreliable. I've had stuff depart US and not land in Dubai for two weeks - god only knows where the products went.
How do you do that tho as 90%+ of the things I look at on the US and UK Amazon say they won't ship to the UAE.

As for S&S, I've never had an issue with them..... but yeah its expensive now.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scamp
There is a special place in hell for SnS.
There is a special place in hell for Aramex in general... I used them recently to get some documents from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, and they were without exception the most awful company I have ever used in almost 8 years in the UAE. They even managed to make Etisalat look competent...
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by archie159
There is a special place in hell for Aramex in general... I used them recently to get some documents from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, and they were without exception the most awful company I have ever used in almost 8 years in the UAE. They even managed to make Etisalat look competent...
My eye twitched at the mention of the phone company.

However, we just won our battle with them. It took to emailing every single senior person we could find on Linkedin, including board members from their corporate website. BUT....we won in the end.

Tempted to go back to the shop where we were completely deceived and give the sales guy two fingers.