British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Curve or Hilton? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/curve-hilton-918177/)

Standanista Oct 10th 2018 3:55 pm

Curve or Hilton?

Does anybody have a preference between The Curve and the Hilton (West Bay), Doha, for a couple of months' stay?

DXBtoDOH Oct 11th 2018 5:37 am

Re: Curve or Hilton?

Curve is a newer hotel and a bit smarter. Has loads of serviced apartments, which I imagine you're looking at. Rooftop pool with views. There's a couple cafes and restaurants out in front.

Hilton is older and looking slightly worn. I've stayed in their rooms. They're fine. Not impressive but clean and comfortable enough. Massive bathrooms. Hotel is popular with Arab families on weekend staycations, which normally would have me running for the hills, but and this is a big but, the Hilton has a beach.

So I'd go for the Hilton. Beach access for the next few months is a nice thing to have.

Hilton F&B prices are ridiculous. Nearly 40 QAR for a small cappuccino. I sent it back. Walk to the Costa directly across the street.

martinbkk Oct 11th 2018 9:54 am

My personal preference is the Marriott Marquis at City Centre. They have long term deals and serviced apartments. Rooms are niceeeee!!! and for a long stay you should be able to get them to give you a high floor with great view, big bathroom with a walk in shower and separate whirlpool tub. Its attached to the City Centre mall so easy access without needing to go outside, hotel restaurants, Italian, Brazillian, sports bar which is better since they made everywhere non-smoking I think.

DXBtoDOH Oct 11th 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12576016)
My personal preference is the Marriott Marquis at City Centre. They have long term deals and serviced apartments. Rooms are niceeeee!!! and for a long stay you should be able to get them to give you a high floor with great view, big bathroom with a walk in shower and separate whirlpool tub. Its attached to the City Centre mall so easy access without needing to go outside, hotel restaurants, Italian, Brazillian, sports bar which is better since they made everywhere non-smoking I think.

Agreed. Marriott Marquis is a very well run hotel. Great gym and pool. Has a pretty good in house cafe on the ground floor and residents usually get a discount of 10-15% plus 50% off all unsold sandwiches and pastries between 6-7 PM when it closes, which is a great deal.

martinbkk Oct 11th 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12576019)
...plus 50% off all unsold sandwiches and pastries between 6-7 PM when it closes, which is a great deal.

Thanks for that, I never knew. I might be there again for a couple of months and will definitely take advantage of that :)

Standanista Oct 11th 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been in Champions a few times to watch the footy and partake of its QR 33 happy hour Stella. Unfortunately, the Marriott isn't an option as the company's paying. The other options were the ex-Adagio, but that's become a bit of a dump since the change of management, or the Oryx Rotana, but that's a bit far away from the action. Went for the Hilton in the end for the beach and Trader Vic's. It doesn't have The Curve's kitchenette with washing machine so I'll have to wash my socks and undies in the sea.