Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

current outsiders views on the UAE and Middle East

current outsiders views on the UAE and Middle East

Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:17 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold
Default current outsiders views on the UAE and Middle East

So guys, what are your thoughts on this? Does anyone work in the tourism industry and if so have there been any cancellations of holidays or a decline in visitors as a knock on effect of the Lebanon crisis?

It would just be interesting to get some insight into how the outside world views the UAE and Middle East. I know of a friend who had to come here because of her hubbys 'job' from Australia, and she was so worried, she was asking if it was safe and we told her 'Lebanon is further away than Iraq is dear', to which she replied; 'but I am flying over Bagdad with Gulf airways I think' (!?)..and we said...'erm...don't you mean Bahrain?'....'Oh right, umm ok then'.

And does anyone get relatives and/or friends from back home who keep asking if you're 'ok' and is it 'safe'?

without going too much in to politics (lets keep it light)...please share your experiences of outsiders views.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:11 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: current outsiders views on the UAE and Middle East

I get the occasional mail along the "hope you are still ok" lines but we have been here long enough now that most of our friends and family have visited so appreciate just how far removed we are...

With regard to tourism for the UAE they were saying on the radio that most of the hotels here are stating the the conflict has had little or no impact and that occupancy is still at 90-95%. I appreciate that a certain amount of the good news is the "positive spin" cycle but that still a fairly impressive number bearing in mind both season and the troubles....
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Headlined as "Middle East Conflict" in newspapers and TV back home.
It's hardly the WHOLE middle east in conflict now is it?!

Friends and family know I live in the middle east and therefore must be in some form of danger.

Those that have been here before understand how far removed we are...those that haven't are the ones who are concerned.

Parents are due to travel here in a couple of months....they've no plans to cancel their arrangments...
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:43 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: current outsiders views on the UAE and Middle East

Originally Posted by Happiness
So guys, what are your thoughts on this? Does anyone work in the tourism industry and if so have there been any cancellations of holidays or a decline in visitors as a knock on effect of the Lebanon crisis?

It would just be interesting to get some insight into how the outside world views the UAE and Middle East. I know of a friend who had to come here because of her hubbys 'job' from Australia, and she was so worried, she was asking if it was safe and we told her 'Lebanon is further away than Iraq is dear', to which she replied; 'but I am flying over Bagdad with Gulf airways I think' (!?)..and we said...'erm...don't you mean Bahrain?'....'Oh right, umm ok then'.

And does anyone get relatives and/or friends from back home who keep asking if you're 'ok' and is it 'safe'?

without going too much in to politics (lets keep it light)...please share your experiences of outsiders views.
As a general rule it depends how good peoples knowledge of geography is. If they are American they haven't got a clue. If they are European then they know the UAE is far away from any trouble.

I think the biggest security risk here is the border with Saudi Arabia. As Brits we are more aware than many nationalities of risks due to the IRA experience and take any necessary precautions.

Due to strict immigration checks in America & EEC countries I think many GCC Nationals are choosing to vacation in Dubai, everywhere seems pretty full at present.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:33 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ray2gill
As a general rule it depends how good peoples knowledge of geography is. If they are American they haven't got a clue. If they are European then they know the UAE is far away from any trouble.

I think the biggest security risk here is the border with Saudi Arabia. As Brits we are more aware than many nationalities of risks due to the IRA experience and take any necessary precautions.

Due to strict immigration checks in America & EEC countries I think many GCC Nationals are choosing to vacation in Dubai, everywhere seems pretty full at present.

Just to add...I came back on a flight to London Heathrow the other day and they were giving everyone a hard time. There was this one women at the passport control that was snapping at everyone, she looked like she was crapping her pants too and seemed real stressed. (the flights were coming in from Tehran, Qatar and Cairo, Terminal 3) You could see they were all hyped up. Mind you, if I believed everything they were saying on the news at the moment and worked there, I'd be paranoid too.