Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Criminal record - work in Dubai?

Criminal record - work in Dubai?

Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

worriedlad is a jewel in the roughworriedlad is a jewel in the roughworriedlad is a jewel in the roughworriedlad is a jewel in the roughworriedlad is a jewel in the rough
Question Criminal record - work in Dubai?

Can someone tell me definitively please.

I am a UK citizen. I am due to start work in two weeks in Dubai.

I have not been asked by my employer to provide a police certificate. Yet. Will i be?

I was convicted 16 years ago (spent now) of theft & fraudulent use of a driving licence. Fined only (no sentence).

When my employer applies for my residence visa (im told this happens after im in the country?) will this be checked by them (employer or embassy)? How will they check? What else will they be checking for? What will show up?

Many thanks

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:15 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record - work in Dubai?

Originally Posted by worriedlad

I have not been asked by my employer to provide a police certificate. Yet. Will i be?

I was convicted 16 years ago (spent now) of theft & fraudulent use of a driving licence. Fined only (no sentence).

When my employer applies for my residence visa (im told this happens after im in the country?) will this be checked by them (employer or embassy)? How will they check? What else will they be checking for? What will show up?

Many thanks

Ian
I know we didn't have to provide a police certificate 3 years ago and have never heard of it before. Also I know of a couple of people who have been jailed here for drink driving, kept their jobs and have had their visa renewed afterwards, so I'm sure you will be fine
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:29 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks

Ian

Hello Ian, welcome to the forum.

Just been looking through the Dubai Naturalization and Residency Department's website www.dnrd.ae and I cant see you facing any problems at all.

Good luck!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:16 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Hello Ian, welcome to the forum.

Just been looking through the Dubai Naturalization and Residency Department's website www.dnrd.ae and I cant see you facing any problems at all.

Good luck!

As I said
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

It shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes you might be asked for proof you have no criminal record in Dubai (as I was when I got married here - despite marriage being criminal, or prison at least in my eyes - that's another story though!).

All it entailed was going to the police station, being fingerprinted and getting a nice certificate saying I have no police record here...I've never heard of anyone being checked just to get a visa either here or in their home country though so unless you are wanted by interpol you should be fine.

Norm
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:42 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

I'm rusty on my Rehabiliation of Offenders Act, so I've just brushed up.

A rehabilitation period is a set length of time from the date of conviction. After this period, with certain exceptions, an ex-offender is not normally obliged to mention the conviction when applying for a job or obtaining insurance, or when involved in criminal or civil proceedings.
Also:

A person's offence will still remain on the Police National Computer even after it has become spent - it will not be deleted. Broadly, according to the guidelines from the Association of Chief Police Officers, records of 'recordable' offences (i.e. offences which can be tried in the Crown Court, whether or not they are) should be deleted after 10 years, unless they show that the offender (...list of circumstances that don't apply to you)
And:

Applicants with a criminal record who are asked on an application form or at an interview whether they have any previous convictions can answer 'no' if the convictions are spent and the job applied for is not excepted from the Act.
The exceptions to the act include jobs such as police, lawyers, doctors, social services, youth work, civil service, defence. So in Britain you should be absolutely fine. Legally it doesn't look as though you have to declare anything, and the police here (Dubai or Federal) don't make automatic checks with the UK authorities for employment visas.

However:

Going Abroad

The Act only covers Britain. Other countries have their own rules about those they will give visas and work permits to. Embassies or overseas employment agencies should have information about this.
My personal thought is that whatever the law here is, there is no way they would be able to trace your past, spent record without a special application, and there is no way they would make a special application unless you were charged with serious crime here. But I am not a lawyer.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:55 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

This country will be empty if the record of the people is checked.