Reload this Page >

Cricket in Dubai? Anyone?

Cricket in Dubai? Anyone?

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Brandytime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cricket in Dubai? Anyone?

Hi all,

After some advice from the cricketing fraternity out there. I am a former pro (played at Leicestershire for a few seasons) in the UK who is looking to relocate to Dubai at the end of the year for lifestyle and career opps.

My first challenge is to find a suitable job. I am a qualified and experienced freelance sports journalist, as well as having experience in media monitoring and sub-editing so I'm looking for roles that would suit my skills.

I know the ICC are based in Dubai and they would be a perfect match so I think I will give them a go as a first port of call for any comms or press roles? Any other ideas?

Also, where can I play cricket in the city? I'm a qualified coach too so would like to really get involved somewhere but none of the contacts on the UAE cricket association have returned my mail.

Anyone play cricket?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket in Dubai? Anyone?

Originally Posted by Brandytime
Hi all,

After some advice from the cricketing fraternity out there. I am a former pro (played at Leicestershire for a few seasons) in the UK who is looking to relocate to Dubai at the end of the year for lifestyle and career opps.

My first challenge is to find a suitable job. I am a qualified and experienced freelance sports journalist, as well as having experience in media monitoring and sub-editing so I'm looking for roles that would suit my skills.

I know the ICC are based in Dubai and they would be a perfect match so I think I will give them a go as a first port of call for any comms or press roles? Any other ideas?

Also, where can I play cricket in the city? I'm a qualified coach too so would like to really get involved somewhere but none of the contacts on the UAE cricket association have returned my mail.

Anyone play cricket?
the cricket scene is very screwed up here now. The only real western expats club (Darjeeling Cricket Club) had their ground taken off them by the Government so they could build their nice shiny new horse racing place. It appears the locals want to watch their horses get beat by the Yankie and Saffa horses in more comfort!

So now they find it difficult to find places to play matches. Their matches I believe are mainly against Indian/Pakistani players for works teams.

Quite Ironic that the local government have basically shut down cricket in Dubai when the ICC is based here.

you will however find Indians/Pakistanis playing cricket every friday on practically every bit of open ground in the city (car parks etc).
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

but they are replacing Darjeeling up at Sports city or somewhere like that.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Try the Sharjah Cricket Association?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
but they are replacing Darjeeling up at Sports city or somewhere like that.
think we are finally hoping to get some proper hockey facilities up there.
Its amazing for a city with such a large Subcontinent/British/Aussie/Saffa expat population that there isnt a single proper hockey pitch.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Brandytime is an unknown quantity at this point

Just seems odd that in a place with so many expats there isn't any proper cricket played.

Surely increasing participation and global appeal is at the heart of the ICC's directives?

Shame. Nothing better than ripping a saffa's off-stump out the ground!! In the nicest possible way of course.