Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Credit cards and all that

Credit cards and all that

Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Red face Credit cards and all that

Now I am sure this may be a really dumb question but here goes.

I am due to relocate to dubai mid to Late Feb, now my question is about credit cards. Do I use my UK one or do I apply for a new one with the local bank in Dubai?.

I am assuming I will probably need to use my own card for the first month or so while I sort out a bank account and then apply for a credit card.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards and all that

Most people seem to get a local credit card, even though the card interest rates here are often high compared to the UK - you need to shop around. There's obviously nothing stopping you using your UK one, but if you plan to pay it by sending money back to the UK from your UAE dirham account, you could find yourself out of pocket in terms of currency conversion and transfer costs.

Converting pounds to dirhams is good, converting dirhams to pounds is not
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the info and heads up on the currency thing. How long does it take to set up a bank account and get credit card set up. I would prefer not to have to use mine due to the money transfer problems. I do have to however, send money back to the Uk to cover some UK bills that have to be paid even though am out of the country.

I have a 20 yr old at Uni and I am paying his accommodation costs while he studies, the UK has really turned against its own nationals these days. It seems that because I am leaving the UK to work abroad in a country where I dont have to incur any UK taxes etc, my sons student load will be reduced as I will not be contributing towards his costs etc. I think this stinks, as foreign students gets all the financial help they ask for and more because they are away from their home country and their parents are unable to contribute. What happened to helping our own youngsters to get an education. Its fast becoming something only the very rich can afford to do, send their children to University.

I got made redundant on November 5th 2007, got in touch with the educational authority to make them aware of my changes in circumstances, only to find out that my sons loan is based on my salary for last year and does not take into account the fact that I am now unemployed. Nor would it for next year if I were still unemployed. What a system, lets penalise our kids because their parents are unfortunate to loose their job.
Sorry to drone on but this really gets me mad and is one of the reasons why I am looking to leave the UK.

I apologize to all who read this far and get an earful of woe.

Cheers for your patience.

Andy
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy,
Send me a PM once you get here - will help sort it out for you.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Credit cards and all that

Hi Indie girl,

Many thanks and will send you the pm on arrival, by the way what do you do in Dubai, are you in the banking sector. My only connection with the banking sector is as a customer to get at my salary etc. For my sins I am in the chemical industry.

Look forward to catching up with you and the rest of the guys and girls on here.

Very best regards,

Andy
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyB123
are you in the banking sector.

Aye
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Now I am sure this may be a really dumb question but here goes.

I am due to relocate to dubai mid to Late Feb, now my question is about credit cards. Do I use my UK one or do I apply for a new one with the local bank in Dubai?.

I am assuming I will probably need to use my own card for the first month or so while I sort out a bank account and then apply for a credit card.
once you get settled with your visa and a bank account you'll be bombarded weekly with phone calls from CC sales agents pushing their cards at you! And you'll never have to fill in a form... they'll come to your office and just ask you to sign a blank form with them helpfully filling in the rest later!