British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Covid Passport Yes or No? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/covid-passport-yes-no-937582/)

HiHo Mar 11th 2021 6:25 am

Covid Passport Yes or No?

There are 200,000 flat earth t**ts in the UK that only go to Spain once a year campaigning against Covid Passports. No thought for those of us that will need them to avoid weeks in Quarantine.

scot47 Mar 11th 2021 7:08 am

Re: Covid Passport Yes or No?

Flat Earthery is alas prevalent in these days.

Johnnyboy11 Mar 11th 2021 1:38 pm

I dunno, but ever since I got the vaccine, I've been getting a 5G signal on my iphone...

scot47 Mar 11th 2021 4:17 pm

How far do I have to walk before I fall off The Edge of the World ?

Millhouse Mar 11th 2021 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12982480)
I dunno, but ever since I got the vaccine, I've been getting a 5G signal on my iphone...

decent upgrade for a 3210 on a belt holster

Elgin1983 Mar 11th 2021 8:29 pm

Papieren, bitte...

Benny80 Mar 13th 2021 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12982480)

This made me chuckle.

I think the vaccine passports will happen. Certainly hope so as the thought of not being able to travel without excessive quarantining is pretty tough. I guess us expats we take it for granted.

Just think it will take a lot of time. IMO the GCC countries will introduce this soonish to support their airlines. UK is obsessed with fairness so may wait until most of the population have access to the vaccine.​​​​​

HiHo Mar 13th 2021 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12982614)
Papieren, bitte...

I concur, any control system is open to abuse. I further recognise that the bumbling baboons at Heathrow are ill equip to detect any such fraud. Although since Covid the Liberals have been less willing to reject electronic surveillance as a result of which it has improved. Any system of transmission control would need to be administered by quiet reflective boys and girls as opposed to the peacocks in highvi, and I get the impression this transition is happening. Lets hope boarder control is improved and shenanigans zone becomes a matter for the EU alone post Covid.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 14th 2021 5:57 am

I find the butthurt around covid passports as utterly laughable.

Your passport doesn't guarantee you entry to anywhere. The same crowds whining probably voted for Brexit and actively reduced the number of places you can get into without hassle.
Travel to X Country and you have to show yellow fever or ABC vaccination - nobody bats an eyelid......yet now, it's a disastrous attack on civil liberties.

I think we should ban them from reproducing, or speaking.

NorthernLad Mar 15th 2021 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12983332)
The same crowds whining probably voted for Brexit and actively reduced the number of places you can get into without hassle.

Slightly off tangent, but I was on a call last week and a (staunch) Irish colleague said 'the UK is the envy of the western world right now', then the EU vaccination program came up and there was a few other people piped up about how bad it was and they were hoping to be vaccinated by 2030.
Whatever people think about Brexit and the government, we have got the vaccination program right.

nonthaburi Mar 15th 2021 8:29 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 12983643)
Slightly off tangent, but I was on a call last week and a (staunch) Irish colleague said 'the UK is the envy of the western world right now', then the EU vaccination program came up and there was a few other people piped up about how bad it was and they were hoping to be vaccinated by 2030.
Whatever people think about Brexit and the government, we have got the vaccination program right.

That's true. General consensus being that the success is due to the NHS being in charge of it rather than the government.

nonthaburi Mar 15th 2021 8:42 am

Good article here

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproje...accine-uk.html

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 15th 2021 8:59 am

It's been superb. On other threads on this website there are genuinely still people slinging shit at the government for it as well. Bizarre.
Forget all the emotion and guff around it, they backed every vaccine going very early, throwing cash at them and committing. It was a gamble but paid off and they've got on order something like 400 million in total.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12983650)
That's true. General consensus being that the success is due to the NHS being in charge of it rather than the government.

I don't think the NHS could buy that much vaccine volume in 1000 years, let alone a year.
Leave them to organising the roll out and delivering the service, there's not going to be a better team for it, but buying it? I'm skeptical.

NorthernLad Mar 15th 2021 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12983676)
It's been superb. On other threads on this website there are genuinely still people slinging shit at the government for it as well. Bizarre.
Forget all the emotion and guff around it, they backed every vaccine going very early, throwing cash at them and committing. It was a gamble but paid off and they've got on order something like 400 million in total.

I don't think the NHS could buy that much vaccine volume in 1000 years, let alone a year.
Leave them to organising the roll out and delivering the service, there's not going to be a better team for it, but buying it? I'm skeptical.

Sky did an interesting article on this:
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...upply-12204044

'German MEP Peter Liese said the UK was behaving "like Donald Trump" by trying to guarantee it would receive vaccine doses first. In reality, according to this account, it was fear of Trump - or Trump-like behaviour - that prompted the government to seek additional security.'

nonthaburi Mar 15th 2021 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12983676)

Agreed, I didn't mean the purchase of it, just the rollout.