Covid 19

Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Covid 19

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Can’t help thinking some of these border closures are economic. kSA must be fed up with so many expats doing the commute.
They just need to open a few bars, then problem solved.

Originally Posted by Lul37
I’m just wondering as a parent my question is: Do I, or do I not ignore the email coming soon from my childrens school saying that Term 3 fees are now due? I would think we should at least be eligible for a reduction or discount in fees if this goes on for more than two weeks of home learning

Surely distance learning is not going to be of the same quality (and cost) as in school learning?? especially since we won’t be using school facilities, plus it’s going to fall on us parents’ shoulder, and our sanity to make sure our children log in and actually do the work
Do they get up and go to school on their own without a nudge normally?

Ignore the fees email though, definitely. Then your kids won't have to worry about logging in.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought that, in the short term at least, the distance learning program and forced closure of the schools is a significant cost. Long-term, yes the costs reduce.

No wonder the lawyers are busy right now... force majeure claims everywhere.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody else heard the rumour about the KSA guy that was supposed to be in quarantine in Bahrain. Apparently he had 4 working girls sent up to his room. Whilst I hope this is just an urban myth, It does raise the question, how does one go about chasing down the people they have been in contact with?
Old Mar 8th 2020, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Not just that, which meant letters started flying weeks ago but coronavirus now actually features as part of a business plan I've seen. That's the kind of up to date SWOT analysis I wanna see.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
They just need to open a few bars, then problem solved.

Do they get up and go to school on their own without a nudge normally?

Ignore the fees email though, definitely. Then your kids won't have to worry about logging in.

They most definitely do not. They are 8 and 11 year old boys, more prone to playing games online if given the half the chance, unless monitored continuously. So there goes my day job out the window...unless I can ask the school to find and fund me a nanny??

Many parents at our school already have trouble accessing the homework app, I just can’t imagine how they will implement the online work from home. Not all parents are tech savvy, they need web platform training .

Also what about internet connection?

One commented that internet bandwidth is gonna be fun

Old Mar 8th 2020, 9:32 am
Account Closed

They most definitely do not. They are 8 and 11 year old boys, more prone to playing games online if given the half the chance, unless monitored continuously. So there goes my day job out the window...unless I can ask the school to find and fund me a nanny??

Many parents at our school already have trouble accessing the homework app, I just can’t imagine how they will implement the online work from home. Not all parents are tech savvy, they need web platform training .

Maybe they should just go in and potentially get coronavirus instead. Probably easier.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Bahrain F1 is now without spectators.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Maybe they should just go in and potentially get coronavirus instead. Probably easier.
Of course I’m not saying that schools must remain open if there are concerns for the health of the students.

I’m asking if parents are entitled to a reduction in school fees for this time period. Online learning just cannot be of the same quality as in school learning.

Do you think the teachers are putting in the same effort coming into work without any students and posting materials online??

Last edited by Lul37; Mar 8th 2020 at 10:00 am.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I’m not saying that schools must remain open if there are concerns for the health of the students.

I’m asking if parents are entitled to a reduction in school fees for this time period. Online learning just cannot be of the same quality as in school learning.

Do you think the teachers are putting in the same effort coming into work without any students and posting materials online??
There will be no discounts. If anything, expect a working from home e-materials supplement.

Be grateful that the schools even bothered. A few years ago this tech didn't exist and it would have been a pile of homework sent by email and you would have been told to figure it out yourself.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought that, in the short term at least, the distance learning program and forced closure of the schools is a significant cost. Long-term, yes the costs reduce.

Check the language of your fee contract with the school and see what it says about refunds or concessions.

But probably not. The school's expenses will go down from the building being dark, the buses not running etc but not significantly. About 80% of a school's costs are on personnel. If the students aren't coming in - teachers aren't coming in either.

You are correct that online results and quality are lower, but there isn't anything the teachers can really do about that. They didn't ask to be put in this situation, and the legal exposure the school would face from staying open while others are shutting, and then a bunch of kids getting sick as a result, would be almost unlimited.

It's an emergency stop-gap and everyone will try to do the best they can.

Whatever you do - don't mention the nanny comment, even in jest. Schools are not even remotely responsible for funding that, but aside from that, teachers and administrations are very sensitive and prickly about parents viewing their main function as being a daycare or babysitting service. The comment won't be appreciated even if said entirely and sincerely as a joke.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

There will be no discounts. If anything, expect a working from home e-materials supplement.

Be grateful that the schools even bothered. A few years ago this tech didn't exist and it would have been a pile of homework sent by email and you would have been told to figure it out yourself.
Ha. Yeah. If the school does go out and subscribe to a fancy new distance learning program because of this that they wouldn't have otherwise, that cost will be passed on . . . and the cost of those can be massive.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

All fair enough I suppose to those who get their school fees paid by their company.

As for me, I’m just going to hold out on paying the term 3 fees just yet.

To be honest, if the school closure remains until June I would rather home school my children myself (which it seems like I’m going to be doing anyways), and access a home schooling program from the UK for a fraction of the price.

Yes school is not for childcare it’s for accessing education, but this is still exactly why the UK won’t shut their schools. Most parents won’t be able to go to work if schools shut down and economy will grind to a halt.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes school is not for childcare it’s for accessing education, but this is still exactly why the UK won’t shut their schools.
Bet you they do.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

All fair enough I suppose to those who get their school fees paid by their company.

As for me, I’m just going to hold out on paying the term 3 fees just yet.

To be honest, if the school closure remains until June I would rather home school my children myself (which it seems like I’m going to be doing anyways), and access a home schooling program from the UK for a fraction of the price.

Yes school is not for childcare it’s for accessing education, but this is still exactly why the UK won’t shut their schools. Most parents won’t be able to go to work if schools shut down and economy will grind to a halt.
The UK will shut its schools if the health and safety situation requires it, which as of now, it hasn't. That it might inconvenience some parents, is irrelevant and won't be part of the thought process.

I understand you are in a pickle but that is not the school's problem.

I think your solution of holding out on fees, seeing what happens and then perhaps using home schooling as a temporary option may be the best way to go.

Can the kids not be sent back to the UK to live with grandma temporarily, and enrol in a government school there for the rest of the year?
Old Mar 8th 2020, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
The UK will shut its schools if the health and safety situation requires it, which as of now, it hasn't. That it might inconvenience some parents, is irrelevant and won't be part of the thought process.

I understand you are in a pickle but that is not the school's problem.

I think your solution of holding out on fees, seeing what happens and then perhaps using home schooling as a temporary option may be the best way to go.

Can the kids not be sent back to the UK to live with grandma temporarily, and enrol in a government school there for the rest of the year?
They might kill grandma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.