Covid 19

Old Mar 5th 2020, 9:28 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19

I'm currently living back in the UK, family in Dubai (the plan was for our daughter to finish Easter term then I'd come back to close everything down and we'd leave together).
With the schools closing early I changed flights to fly back to Dubai this Sunday, close down banks/utilities, cancel residency etc.. and HR just told me not to risk flying in as the rules on quarantine aren't clear.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Someone gave me an overview of a guys diary from the Daily Mail. Apparently mentions his cat dying too. Almost tempted to visit.
I read it. Anyone who doesn’t shed a tear when the cat dies is an asshole.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Cats are *****. I laughed when it was read aloud earlier. Sorry not sorry
Old Mar 5th 2020, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

We were/are meant to be travelling in a couple of weeks, but now school holidays have changed she can't go. She might fly this weekend and I might still go, might not. Don't want to go and then not get back easily, but don't think there'll be a meltdown of international travel and all flights banned etc.

In fact, we've just had a work email advising that if you travel for personal reasons and can't get back into the office for reasons of needing to be quarantined (if you go to somewhere on a list) - you either work remotely and that's that, or you have to take it as leave / unpaid. Everyone has a laptop and mobile though, so hardly an issue. If kids can be expected to learn from home then every office based adult on earth can work from home.

**** 'em, eat 'em - doesn't matter. Someone's going to do it.
Same here, can't see it all going tits up. They'll have their screening process on entry. If you're coming from somewhere dodgy but pass they'll wave you through and instruct you to self isolate. If you coming from somewhere 'normal' and pass they'll wave you on your way.... if you fail, you will be erased from the records and never seen again.

Quite like working from home / having film marathons.

Exactly! Did you see the picture of the poor little thing!

Cats are *****. I laughed when it was read aloud earlier. Sorry not sorry
Twat!
Old Mar 6th 2020, 10:52 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9376916.html

I just cancelled my trip. £600 down because of it. Think it's only a matter of time before Saudis do something similar or more severe.

On Saudia website they are now saying that if you've been in,or transited through China or Iran you need to be in corona free country for 14 days before entry. I'd expect Italy to be on that list soon, and other countries down the line.

It's a fast changing situation.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:13 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1637971/saudi-arabia

They've started.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on a week's leave to spend with parents in Pakistan around mid March however not sure about all the travel restrictions are in place and which continue to change on a daily basis.
My multi exit re-entry visa expires this in 10 days, my backup to save it was exiting and re entering KSA on Bahrain causeway but even that option is off the list as of this morning due to latest restriction by KSA on land entries from Bahrain and UAE.
F*** YOU COVID 19
Old Mar 7th 2020, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t help thinking some of these border closures are economic. kSA must be fed up with so many expats doing the commute.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Haha, The thing is, the Saudis coming back over the causeway on a Saturday afternoon probably have so much scotch in side them, that their blood alcohol level is too high for any bug to survive. Come to think of it the Covid 19 survival rate it better than that of the Dammam highway. It's a good thing if it keeps a few drunks off the road I guess.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Was planning to go to the UK with my family next week. Probably going to cancel everything. The Saudis are bringing in more and more travel restrictions, and what with the recent spike in UK infections, and expected spike in the coming weeks , I just can't take the risk of not being able to get back in to Saudi. Giving it a few more days to decide.

On the one hand is going to save me a fortune even after losing a bit on bookings already made, but on the other hand my 8 weeks are up and I need to get away.

Might go to Thailand instead because it seems like they've got things under control there, and at the moment only tourists into Saudi from Thailand are banned.

What to do?!
You are assuming Thailand has the capacity (and the will) to accurately report and diagnose over large swaths of the country. I think it is far more likely it is ripping through the country at a massively underreported rate, with some deliberate misinformation out there to save face and national pride.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
You are assuming Thailand has the capacity (and the will) to accurately report and diagnose over large swaths of the country. I think it is far more likely it is ripping through the country at a massively underreported rate, with some deliberate misinformation out there to save face and national pride.
As with most emerging markets. Imagine Egypt.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

As with most emerging markets. Imagine Egypt.
The rumours are, it's a true catastrophe there.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Paper cups only in Doha City Centre Starbucks this afternoon. No cases in Qatar of virus carriers coming in over the land border.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine that the kids will all sit in front of the laptop with the camera running while playing a class-wide game of Rainbow Seige on the xbox on the TV behind the laptop. It's what I would do.
I’m just wondering as a parent my question is: Do I, or do I not ignore the email coming soon from my childrens school saying that Term 3 fees are now due? I would think we should at least be eligible for a reduction or discount in fees if this goes on for more than two weeks of home learning

Surely distance learning is not going to be of the same quality (and cost) as in school learning?? especially since we won’t be using school facilities, plus it’s going to fall on us parents’ shoulder, and our sanity to make sure our children log in and actually do the work
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou
You may be right, only time will tell. And there are many foreigners on some of the Thai forums saying exactly the same as you.

They do have the capacity to report though, although maybe not the will. If there were loads of unreported cases I'm fairly certain there would be a lot of mention of it on Thai social media, and that isn't the case according to my wife.

They've been living under the military rule for a long time now so they know not to believe the party line as it were, but at the same time, where are the posts on fb from health workers about sick people in the hospitals etc. They aren't there.

What with the millions of Chinese who visit Thailand, there should be thousands of sick people there, and in Cambodia too, but that's not the story on the ground.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.