Covid 19

Old Mar 4th 2020, 12:10 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19

The common flu virus is still far more deadly than Coronavirus but you don’t see people being quarantined, considering cancelling holidays, panic buying basics etc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...UK-winter.html

https://www.globalresearch.ca/flu-bi...dlines/5701932
Old Mar 4th 2020, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

All schools to close for 4 weeks from Sunday....transfer the risk elsewhere but sensible move?

Last edited by Pongo; Mar 4th 2020 at 2:09 am.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
All schools to close for 4 weeks from Sunday....transfer the risk elsewhere but sensible move?

it’s a weird move to delay the closure by basically a week.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hnd
The common flu virus is still far more deadly than Coronavirus
That's not true though is it. Your mortality risk for flu is about 1 in 2000. For Coronavirus it's about 1 in 30. Even taking into account asymptomatic cases and and mild undiagnosed ones it's clearly killing people at a much higher rate, and is more deadly.

your link said 15 million people got the flu in the states in 2018-19. Covid19 's mortality rate on that many infections would mean upto 450,000 dead.

I wouldn't be concerned about suffering from it personally. I would be very concerned to passing it on to my diabetic 74 year old Mum.

Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
it’s a weird move to delay the closure by basically a week.
Distance learning not ready to go?

Infection modelling suggests they have another week or so before it matters?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Distance learning not ready to go?

Infection modelling suggests they have another week or so before it matters?
I'd be very surprised if any science was used!
Old Mar 4th 2020, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

It seems unlikely doesn't it. perhaps they just wanted to give everyone a couple of days to get childcare sorted!
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If I was a teacher I'd offer the wealthiest, busiest parents some tutoring on the side. I'll keep your scumbag kids busy learning and you keep earning.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
If I was a teacher I'd offer the wealthiest, busiest parents some tutoring on the side. I'll keep your scumbag kids busy learning and you keep earning.
don't the teachers have to go in, clean and run webex sessions?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

That's not true though is it. Your mortality risk for flu is about 1 in 2000. For Coronavirus it's about 1 in 30. Even taking into account asymptomatic cases and and mild undiagnosed ones it's clearly killing people at a much higher rate, and is more deadly.

your link said 15 million people got the flu in the states in 2018-19. Covid19 's mortality rate on that many infections would mean upto 450,000 dead.

I wouldn't be concerned about suffering from it personally. I would be very concerned to passing it on to my diabetic 74 year old Mum.
The number is actually around 35 million in 2018-2019, from a more reliable source (the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html).
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The distance learning/webinar tech guys must think it's Christmas.

If only there was some sort of easily accessible platform that allowed you to host classes of up to 50 with video calls. Maybe an app you could use on your phone?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

don't the teachers have to go in, clean and run webex sessions?
Clean.

They've moved Easter holidays to next two weeks, then after that it's two weeks of teaching kids at home somehow. Fudge knows what that means but we're on holiday around then so she won't be doing it anyway. In fact, she doesn't even teach anymore really so it'll be making other teachers teach kids who don't want to be taught, over a medium that you can't control in houses with parents who don't want to be there or in fact anywhere near the spawn they regret creating to avoid a virus none of them probably have. It's perfectly normal.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Clean.

They've moved Easter holidays to next two weeks, then after that it's two weeks of teaching kids at home somehow. Fudge knows what that means but we're on holiday around then so she won't be doing it anyway. In fact, she doesn't even teach anymore really so it'll be making other teachers teach kids who don't want to be taught, over a medium that you can't control in houses with parents who don't want to be there or in fact anywhere near the spawn they regret creating to avoid a virus none of them probably have. It's perfectly normal.
I imagine that the kids will all sit in front of the laptop with the camera running while playing a class-wide game of Rainbow Seige on the xbox on the TV behind the laptop. It's what I would do.

Old Mar 4th 2020, 11:50 am
Account Closed

I imagine that the kids will all sit in front of the laptop with the camera running while playing a class-wide game of Rainbow Seige on the xbox on the TV behind the laptop. It's what I would do.
I wouldn't be near the laptop, I'd be chasing girls down the street or playing football somewhere.

Anyway, they've got 2 weeks of fun, it's technically Easter holidays on Sunday.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

They'll never postpone it. All this will be ancient history by October. I'd be surprised if they're still talking about cancelling things next week.
Well obviously I left your prediction a few days to stew. The Japanese are postponing The Olympics Games, Glastonbury is in danger, THE GALSTO! Is a middle east trade fair worth fanning the flames of a Global epidemic for? You may still believe so but I suspect attitudes will change as the virus spreads around the globe. At the rate Emirates are firing people there will be nobody left to fly people to it even if they were so devil-may-care to attend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.