Covid 19

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19

Originally Posted by Cypselos
They'll never postpone it. All this will be ancient history by October. I'd be surprised if they're still talking about cancelling things next week.
I think that's a hard judgement to call. The reality is that it could potentially cancel itself if people stop travelling, better to postpone it and launch into success than have a failure.

Air traffic numbers (globally not the UAE which is, of course, fine) are quite down.

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think that's a hard judgement to call. The reality is that it could potentially cancel itself if people stop travelling, better to postpone it and launch into success than have a failure.

Air traffic numbers (globally not the UAE which is, of course, fine) are quite down.
On the game, Plague - when they close land and sea borders you are almost completely ****ed.
It's only through those do you really get the disease to spread massively and only through mutations does the disease turn deadly to the masses.
That's what I'm working off anyway. It won't kill me (probably) and we should just shut borders for 2 weeks or something. Just ban all travel.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just ban all travel.
It's too late. the only thing that'll cure this is something else in the news cycle.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's too late. the only thing that'll cure this is something else in the news cycle.
You really think this is just in the news because there's nothing else newsworthy?
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You really think this is just in the news because there's nothing else newsworthy?
potentially, yes. I do agree that when the media get bored of it, the problem will go away.

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 9:01 am
Account Closed

potentially, yes. I do agree that when the media get bored of it, the problem will go away.
OK, don't disagree that the media can make things worse, but the problem of people being ill, travelling, infecting others and death won't go away if the media stop reporting it, you just won't know how many died in South Korea today....
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Not 'just'. But I bet it won't be wll to wall coverage this time next week. People get fatigued with this stuff, and while it's obviously more dangerous than normal flu there isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse.

Plus, if your ticket sales are low this is a great reason to cancel and event right now.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

1) People are panicking because govts are taking extreme measures

2) Govts are doing so because they are subconsciously following China's extreme measures which may have been necessary for Wuhan but not the best method for every country

3) It didn't help that we got extreme details on the measures China took partly due to social media

if China didn't act the way it did, or if we didn't get to see it, you would not see the situation that you see now where Australia is talking about arresting people who are "suspected" of having a virus...…

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

https://beta.spectator.co.uk/article...s-the-hysteria

There is something more to the Covid-19 panic. It is the latest phenomenon to fulfil a weird and growing appetite for doom among the populations of developed countries. We are living in the healthiest, most peaceful time in history, yet we cannot seem to accept it. We constantly have to invent bogeymen, from climate alarmism, nuclear war and financial collapse to deadly diseases. Covid-19 has achieved such traction because it has emerged at just the right time. At the end of January, Brexit had just been completed without incident. The standoff between the US and Iran — which preposterously led the ‘Doomsday Clock’ to be advanced closer to midnight than during the Cuban missile crisis — fizzled into nothing. The Australian bush fires, which caused an explosion in climate doom-mongering (even though the global incidence of wildfires has fallen over the past two decades) had largely gone out
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

"Brexit had just been completed "

LOL.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Not 'just'. But I bet it won't be wll to wall coverage this time next week. People get fatigued with this stuff, and while it's obviously more dangerous than normal flu there isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse.

Plus, if your ticket sales are low this is a great reason to cancel and event right now.
Fair comments. I don't think this is going to disappear in a matter of days though. It's bigger than anything like this before. Might be wrong, but it seems more serious and infectious. For the next two weeks we might see numbers drop and then hey presto we're sorted. It might be numbers rising for the next two weeks and we're up poop creek.

Originally Posted by Maxima
https://beta.spectator.co.uk/article...s-the-hysteria

There is something more to the Covid-19 panic. It is the latest phenomenon to fulfil a weird and growing appetite for doom among the populations of developed countries. We are living in the healthiest, most peaceful time in history, yet we cannot seem to accept it. We constantly have to invent bogeymen, from climate alarmism, nuclear war and financial collapse to deadly diseases. Covid-19 has achieved such traction because it has emerged at just the right time. At the end of January, Brexit had just been completed without incident. The standoff between the US and Iran — which preposterously led the ‘Doomsday Clock’ to be advanced closer to midnight than during the Cuban missile crisis — fizzled into nothing. The Australian bush fires, which caused an explosion in climate doom-mongering (even though the global incidence of wildfires has fallen over the past two decades) had largely gone out
Some good points in that article but also just lots of comparisons to other treatable, existing diseases. This isn't an existing, treatable disease.

If anyone thinks climate change is just a bogeyman for the world to be worried about then I would worry for their mental capacity.

Yes, certainly timing helps and sensationalist journalism helps something stay big news, but ultimately, that's because it IS big news.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scamp - do you have a tin foil face mask?
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

All this CV-19 is hogwash - if you are under 70, and have no underlying (substantial) health issues, and do some basic hygiene (the old soap and water trick (i.e. wash your hands)) then you dont have anything to worry about.

Too many pubic hair beards, tight trouser wearing, avacado eating snowflakes/hipsters just cant man (or person up being PC) up.

Its strange why the markets took a trashing last week - going by history there have usually (with 2 or 3 exception) totally ignored pandemics/epidemics - the fundamentals for a recession are still there. Governments are using this to bury bad news perhaps.

In order for a vaccine to go from the research desk to market usually takes a minimum of 1.5 yrs if you take many short cuts. However the precedence for drugs which have circumnavigated the process usually end up killing more than the disease. I read today that there were flights for $4 in China. I would be tempted for that if i didn't have a dislike for the place.

Climate change is fat hairy pirates swash bucket too - Im still not sold on it yet ..

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Scamp - do you have a tin foil face mask?
Me? I'm realistic, it's going to continue to spread but with my strong body, strong mind and ninja germ dodging reflexes, I'll be fine.

The conspiracy is that it'll not be news next week and that climate change doesn't exist and that we're all manipulated by the media to panic when needed.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Over 50 cases in the U.K. what’s going on over there? They don’t even have the busiest transit airport in the world. Lucky we are here and all safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.