Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Couple of Riyadh questions

Couple of Riyadh questions

Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about
Default Couple of Riyadh questions

Hello all,
I'm new to the BE site although I did read it a fair bit before I moved out to Saudi - some very useful info on here so thanks to those of you who post regularly.
Now I've settled in a bit, I have a few questions hopefully some of you may be able to help me with:
- GO/Mobily Wimax internet - any idea what the 'fair usage' levels are? they're both being pretty vague about it
- Any thoughts/views on the GMC Yukon? I'm looking at buying a vehicle in the next month or so, preferably something that I can take in to the desert and something that can withstand side impact from an erratically driven Hyundai taxi... I have a Mini back in the UK, I won't be buying one here
- How do I go about joining a Hash?
- Are there any expat football clubs in Riyadh?

Think that's about it for now...I have a whole heap of questions around getting a visa for my wife but the thought of more bureaucracy at the moment is sapping my will to live.

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

knickerdropofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple of Riyadh questions

Originally Posted by Stealth Otter
Hello all,
I'm new to the BE site although I did read it a fair bit before I moved out to Saudi - some very useful info on here so thanks to those of you who post regularly.
Now I've settled in a bit, I have a few questions hopefully some of you may be able to help me with:
- GO/Mobily Wimax internet - any idea what the 'fair usage' levels are? they're both being pretty vague about it
- Any thoughts/views on the GMC Yukon? I'm looking at buying a vehicle in the next month or so, preferably something that I can take in to the desert and something that can withstand side impact from an erratically driven Hyundai taxi... I have a Mini back in the UK, I won't be buying one here

Think that's about it for now...I have a whole heap of questions around getting a visa for my wife but the thought of more bureaucracy at the moment is sapping my will to live.

Thanks
Not sure about the Wimax box
Your Yukon will sink in the Desert, try a Prado.
Hash - [email protected]
There is a footy kick around at Al Jawarra Compound Sunday 7pm
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

That's great thanks - I quite like the look of the Prado so I'll have a look round for one...there seems to be plenty of second hand ones for sale
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:47 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I used to have a Mobily 3G dongle and regularly downloaded more than 120GB a month without the bandwidth being throttled. I'm not sure if it has changed now, but I would do anything to have the same thing on my Viva connection in Bahrain.

GMC Yukon: Cheap, hard plastic interior, questionable build quality.
GMC Yukon Denali: More expensive than standard yukon, slightly better interior (still crap), more gadgets than standard yukon, better looking exterior than standard yukon, questionable build quality.

Everybody loves Prado, Patrol and Land Cruiser in the Gulf. If you buy a good second hand one you can keep it for a couple years and sell it on at next to no loss.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yukon is a pile of shit, rust bucket that tips over at a drop of the hat and eats petrol and the ball joints, like the Explorer go on a regular basis. On the other hand, you can pile a lot of rubbish into it and they are quite fun to bomb around, not off road though.

This is all from a US experience, they probably don't rust as much out your way.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Mobile Wi-Max set up, and a friend did mention that he read the small print on the fair usage policy, but can't remember what he said the download limit was! We don't really use it for downloading it a great deal, but my wife does watch a lot of BBC iPlayer ( via a VPN ) and we don't seem to have any trouble in hitting the download limit. We also use Skype a lot, a gain, doesn't seem to limit the bandwidth at all.

In terms of a motor, I'd agree about the Yukon - decent enough on the road, but I'd hesitate over taking it into the desert. A decent used Prado as already suggested is a far better bet.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

surajmaramon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Thanks
Hi Otter,

Mobiliy is quite good. Wimax is what I have now. I use quite a lot on Skype, with no problems and my friend downloads the films and other stuff. Recommend it.

If you are looking to get your wife here, I can certainly help. Please email me privately, so I can give you the details.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surajmaramon

If you are looking to get your wife here, I can certainly help. Please email me privately, so I can give you the details.
If the information is valuable, post it publicly otherwise for a first post, it appears very spammy.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

surajmaramon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
If the information is valuable, post it publicly otherwise for a first post, it appears very spammy.
Hi there,

I didn't think of it like that. This is the first time i have joined something like this. I dont know if I can post the info here, but If it so then I am sure the admin will remove it. Well I work for a company who does all this sort of work. So if I know your personal circumstances (in terms of your status and the company you work for) may be we will be able to help. Are you planning to bring your wife on visit visa or as a dependent. Visit is quite easy but the dependant visa can be difficult. It depends on the profession you have on the Iqama. Thought I could help. If you are interested then let me know.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,

I didn't think of it like that. This is the first time i have joined something like this. I dont know if I can post the info here, but If it so then I am sure the admin will remove it. Well I work for a company who does all this sort of work. So if I know your personal circumstances (in terms of your status and the company you work for) may be we will be able to help. Are you planning to bring your wife on visit visa or as a dependent. Visit is quite easy but the dependant visa can be difficult. It depends on the profession you have on the Iqama. Thought I could help. If you are interested then let me know.
I'll be bringing my wife over as a dependent rather than a visit visa...we have already started getting the paperwork together and my company has an agent working with us too but thanks for the offer.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hi there,

You might want to refresh yourself of the site rules - http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ #9 especially.