Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Couple, no kids - where to rent in Dubai?

Couple, no kids - where to rent in Dubai?

Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple, no kids - where to rent in Dubai?

It's inconvenient for you because you are not willing to walk 20 minutes in the summer heat. Fine. That's you.

But to make blanket statements that the metro isn't convenient is silly and files you in the same category as expats at brunches who whinge about how slow their maid is or that the kale at Spinneys isn't as fresh as it is in the UK.

Originally Posted by Scamp
I used to get the bus in London. Never got one here, wouldn't even know where to start.

Don't care, I'm clearly not intending to demean the use of the metro by those who rely on or require it. I was merely making a very valid and simple point. Comprehension of that isn't my responsibility.

I've said 'The Metro's OK but it's hardly convenient' and you've gone loopy acting like Martin Poppins. Quite why such an angry response was needed is beyond me.

It's not convenient when it involves 20mins of walking and getting hot and sweaty in the summer. Changing the meaning of convenience doesn't really work either.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's inconvenient for you because you are not willing to walk 20 minutes in the summer heat. Fine. That's you.

But to make blanket statements that the metro isn't convenient is silly and files you in the same category as expats at brunches who whinge about how slow their maid is or that the kale at Spinneys isn't as fresh as it is in the UK.
Why carry on with the awful insults?
Do you think you should judge everyone because you ride the metro?
Does this make you a better person?
I can't work it out.

I honestly can't make this any clearer. If you do not live within a short walk of the metro stop, it is not convenient.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I can't work it out.

I honestly can't make this any clearer. If you do not live within a short walk of the metro stop, it is not convenient.
But, how do you rate the Kale?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

A 20min walk in summer would have me absolutely drenched in sweat. There's no way I could go to work in that state.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
But, how do you rate the Kale?
Somewhere does a big bag of it for not a lot of money....Can't remember where but it was nice.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:55 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

OP - do yourselves a favour - work and live in the Marina.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Oh go cry me a *****ing river, will you?

You were coming off as a spoilt expat. 'Good for you and those who see the inconvenience of it as a good thing.' Your words, not mine.

The metro is an option. It's available for the OP and her husband. They are specifically looking to be near the metro. It can be made very convenient for them. To claim otherwise is crap.

I can't work it out.

Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

These young whippersnappers, been here a few years (or less) reckon they know everything eh?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Oh go cry me a *****ing river, will you?

You were coming off as a spoilt expat. 'Good for you and those who see the inconvenience of it as a good thing.' Your words, not mine.

The metro is an option. It's available for the OP and her husband. They are specifically looking to be near the metro. It can be made very convenient for them. To claim otherwise is crap.
You're not right and being a total helmet about it just proves it.

Now, I'm going to jump on the metro to the palm.....Oh.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
These young whippersnappers, been here a few years (or less) reckon they know everything eh?
You must think I don't remember you?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing

Ha ha - I first arrived in the UAE in the early 90s and compared to then I find public transport in Dubai great. I use the metro when I am there and you get a good view of all the traffic backed up waiting in queues. I have also used the bus service between Abu Dhabi and Dubai that stops at IBN Battuta - very easy if you don't want to drive. Beats the old days when you had to rely on old maroon taxis on a "pay what you like" basis.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Mcavennie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the suggestions, and some interesting points raised

Think we'll spend a bit more time this weekend looking at options in the Marina/JLT.

And will remember never to discuss kale when we move over!!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

You must think I don't remember you?
I know I've never met you.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i been here 9 years...never used the bus nor the metro....call me a jumped up western expat....I don't care - I would rather take a taxi (and always do so, if I'm drinking) then walk to the metro/bus stop and then have to walk at the other end.
SCAMPY is right in that the metro isn't very convenient, unless your home/office is right on the doorstep of a metro.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many posters feel the need to be so aggressive and confrontation all the time? It's tiresome and is the reason the number of regular posters on this board never increases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.