British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Couple of AD questions..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/couple-ad-questions-688305/)

mummy2dolly Oct 5th 2010 7:21 pm

Couple of AD questions.....

Warning! Newbie alert!!!! (to the forum, have lived in AD previously)

Was just pondering the cheapest way of bankrolling our imminent move to AD (Dh leaves a week on Sat, myself and our 2 girls come after Christmas). Accomodation expenses will be loaned by the company, but cars etc will be funded by us. I reckon we could either get a 0%APR on purchases credit card here in the Uk before we come and use that, get a bankloan in the UK and use that, or get a loan in Abu Dhabi once we're there (salary will still be paid in UK).... So, could anyone tell me what sort of interest rates theAD banks charge please?

And....... dd1 has a place at BSAK :thumbsup:, would the school run be quicker from the Khalidiya end of the Corniche or Officers City (Mangrove/Seashore)? (well I say Mangrove because thats what I really want, but tbh it's too expensive, but a girl can dream eh!!)

And.... (sorry)...... last time we lived in a ******* awful apartment with dreadful parking on Muroor Rd which has completely put us off apartment living and that was pre rugrats.... so how do people find apartment living with children? The main concerns for me are lack of outside space (obviously) but also lumping all the shopping from the car to the lift in the lift out the lift ..... pah...... I don't know what I'm more scared of....lugging the shopping or the cost of cooling a villa......

any nice constructive welcoming advice for me please :p

seven seas Oct 5th 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Couple of AD questions.....

Prob quicker to Khalidia

Millhouse Oct 6th 2010 4:32 am

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly (Post 8897727)
so how do people find apartment living with children?

We found it ok - but only because we had a pool. No pool and they will drive you insane.

We also found that in a flat we always had to go out at the weekend - to a park, beach etc. We are now in a villa and Mini Millhouse just gets kicked out into the garden from 7am. We find it easier a villa.

flares Oct 6th 2010 5:53 am

Just make sure you live within your means and do not get into debt.

Quite a few yummy mummies purr up to BSAK in their Cayennes and X5s but in my opinion there's no need to keep up with the Joneses (I get the feeling you may succumb to such pressures with preferred villa location). If you can get a cheap safe runaound without resorting to a car loan that is definitely the way to go.

mummy2dolly Oct 6th 2010 7:02 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8898685)

Quite a few yummy mummies purr up to BSAK in their Cayennes and X5s but in my opinion there's no need to keep up with the Joneses (I get the feeling you may succumb to such pressures with preferred villa location). If you can get a cheap safe runaound without resorting to a car loan that is definitely the way to go.

My main concern re the car is the quality of the AC, last time we had a Dodge Durango, and the AC was rubbish........ so any reccommendations?

Oh and edited to add, yummy mummy I am most certaintly NOT lol!!!!

mummy2dolly Oct 6th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8898601)
We are now in a villa and Mini Millhouse just gets kicked out into the garden from 7am. We find it easier a villa.

I like your thinking :thumbup:

Millhouse Oct 6th 2010 7:56 am

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly (Post 8898778)
My main concern re the car is the quality of the AC, last time we had a Dodge Durango, and the AC was rubbish........ so any recommendations?

Don't waste your money on an American car this time... buy Japanese.

weescot Oct 6th 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly (Post 8898778)
My main concern re the car is the quality of the AC, last time we had a Dodge Durango, and the AC was rubbish........ so any reccommendations?

Oh and edited to add, yummy mummy I am most certaintly NOT lol!!!!

Definately go for a japanese car - known for better ac. I spent 7m deciding and trying all well known car brands - VW/Volvo/Jeep etc - by which time I had also saved 70% of cost, so borrowed very little. I ended up with a very boring, but cool (as in lower temperatures) Prado. Best value/quality, and known for their good ac (hence popularity here). Although if I didnt want to go off roading now and again, I would have gone for a Nissin Infinity or something a bit more urban looking.

mummy2dolly Oct 6th 2010 8:21 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8898880)
Definately go for a japanese car - known for better ac. I spent 7m deciding and trying all well known car brands - VW/Volvo/Jeep etc - by which time I had also saved 70% of cost, so borrowed very little. I ended up with a very boring, but cool (as in lower temperatures) Prado. Best value/quality, and known for their good ac (hence popularity here). Although if I didnt want to go off roading now and again, I would have gone for a Nissin Infinity or something a bit more urban looking.

Cheers for that, I've been looking at Landcruisers/Prados on Dubizzle so glad to know I'm actually barking up the right tree (for once) :blink:

TGFKASE Oct 6th 2010 9:05 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8898853)
Don't waste your money on an American car this time... buy Japanese.

I'll have you know the AC on my shiny Durango (a snip at 70K dhs) is WELL chilly, man......

busybee2 Oct 6th 2010 4:35 pm

see below

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly (Post 8897727)
Warning! Newbie alert!!!! (to the forum, have lived in AD previously)

Was just pondering the cheapest way of bankrolling our imminent move to AD (Dh leaves a week on Sat, myself and our 2 girls come after Christmas). Accomodation expenses will be loaned by the company, but cars etc will be funded by us. I reckon we could either get a 0%APR on purchases credit card here in the Uk before we come and use that, get a bankloan in the UK and use that, or get a loan in Abu Dhabi once we're there (salary will still be paid in UK).... So, could anyone tell me what sort of interest rates theAD banks charge please?

bank charges are more here. and if you are not being paid in dhs then bank will not be very happy, usually you need salary to be paid in, not always now.

And....... dd1 has a place at BSAK :thumbsup:, would the school run be quicker from the Khalidiya end of the Corniche or Officers City (Mangrove/Seashore)? (well I say Mangrove because thats what I really want, but tbh it's too expensive, but a girl can dream eh!!)

what year at bsak? defo off island, it takes much longer coming from the corniche than all the way off island, because of all the traffic lights and traffic etc. and its getting worse.

And.... (sorry)...... last time we lived in a ******* awful apartment with dreadful parking on Muroor Rd which has completely put us off apartment living and that was pre rugrats.... so how do people find apartment living with children? The main concerns for me are lack of outside space (obviously) but also lumping all the shopping from the car to the lift in the lift out the lift ..... pah...... I don't know what I'm more scared of....lugging the shopping or the cost of cooling a villa......
it hasnt changed.
any nice constructive welcoming advice for me please :p

busybee2 Oct 6th 2010 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8898685)

yeh there are a few of those, especially the ones belonging to the royal family. but i defo am not one of those yummy mummies! quite a few normal ones too dont you know.

busybee2 Oct 6th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mummy2dolly (Post 8898902)
Cheers for that, I've been looking at Landcruisers/Prados on Dubizzle so glad to know I'm actually barking up the right tree (for once) :blink:

landcruisers are in the same league as the range rovers, cayennes and beamers, hummers etc !

soukie Oct 6th 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8900012)
yeh there are a few of those, especially the ones belonging to the royal family. but i defo am not one of those yummy mummies! quite a few normal ones too dont you know.

It's the bling ones you need to look out for - black hummers and lots of gold jewellery and tattoos!!! I'm sure you don't fit into that category either BB2!

mummy2dolly Oct 6th 2010 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8900016)
landcruisers are in the same league as the range rovers, cayennes and beamers, hummers etc !

So I'll be cool and 'cool' too ....... result......... :thumbsup:

Seriously though... I just want a car that keeps us refridgerated.....I couldn't give a monkey's what the badge says, or where it puts me in the 'keeping up with Jones' stakes.... my car here is a Skoda...... does that not say it all :rofl: