Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Countdown officialy begins

Countdown officialy begins

Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:09 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countdown officialy begins

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx

I heard about the need to take lots of passport pics!! Do you know if colour print outs would be acceptable - I've had some taken here and scanned them onto my PC - are these useable?
Mrs "It's Illegal" here again! Taking colour photocopies or scans of your passport is, yes, illegal. If you took it to a printers and asked for a colour copy, they'd have to refuse (been there, tried it!). B/w copies are fine though and will be accepted.

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
The initial set up costs of an apartment - pre-paying rent, furniture etc etc along with sorting out a car and the costs it brings, are my main concerns, as I don't particualrly want to spend all my savings or immediately rack up a pile of debt.
The trick is to negotiate and prioritise. If you've got the cash and are the kind of person to want all new, then fine... if not, have a look at the classifieds on dubizzle because you'll find losts of "hardly used" items for a good price - lots of Ikea stuff under a year old, for example.
Pre-paying rent is the nasty. Negotiate 4 cheques and a 2 month notice period as a minimum. If you find a bargain and want to knock it down further, use "non-renewable" as a bargaining tool - landlords will often be happy to take whatever's offered if they know they aren't tied into the contract for years to come (read - they're hoping prices will go back up by the time your contract's up). You'll therefore need money in the bank for 3 months' rent, plus 15% of the total rent for various fees... equating to 40% of the years' rent.
Car? Hold off until your probationary period is over - rent in between.