Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

View Poll Results: Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?
Never
41.67%
Maybe
16.67%
Yes
41.67%
I have no opinion
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:01 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

Originally Posted by W10
And I guess that by 2016 they'll have entire residential developments with no-one living in them, so they could use them as Olympic villages.

On a serious note - Dubai will have to improve public transport by 10,000% in the next five years to even have the remotest chance of hosting the Olympics.

IOC: "So...90% of the facilities will all be in Dubai Sports City and along the Emirates Road"

Dubai: "Yes"

IOC: "Isn't that the most congested road in the emirate with day long traffic jams"

Dubai: "Yes"

IOC: "So how will you address this problem?"

Dubai: "Well...we have a monorail being built which runs along the SZR, and we'll just make the Emirates Road into a 137 lane highway."

IOC: "And how many events are on the SZR?"

Dubai: "Well...is labourer dodgeball an Olympic sport yet?"

IOC: "No"

Dubai: "Well, none then"

IOC: "I see, anything else you have planned"

Dubai: "Yes...we will implement dedicated bus lanes for our buses which run like clockwork to a small number of destinations and are available at least twice an hour"

IOC: "Hmmmmm"

Dubai: "Well...I say bus lane...but it's usually full of Landcruisers, Hummers and Armadas."

IOC: "Can't the police enforce it as a bus lane?"

Dubai: *uncontrollable laughter* "Well why would they want to do that?"

IOC: "Hmmmmmm - can I have my bribe now"

Dubai: "Certainly.....Is $20m enough?"
I love the labourer dodge ball idea! PMSL!

and on the issue of public transport, I dunno about the 10000% improvement in public transport, but I am sure it woulld have improved by 100%. The mono rail will be up and running by then and so will the 8 additional feeder lines, two of which will be part of Dubai Land. Bus lanes are unlikely to get the go ahead, but I think the two additional lanes that will be built between AL Khail and Emirates road will help alleviate the traffic problems.

JXB is also likely to be up and running then, so the athletes never have to come to Dubai City proper, they can spend all their time at Dubai Land.

Honestly, though, I dont think it is that much of an unfathomable idea. I am sure they will put in a successful bid between 2016 and 2024.

Just think of Dubai in 2020, it will be a NEW WORLD.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:18 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Just being doing some reserach and came across this interesting article on the 2016 Summer Olympic games and guess what, our favourite city is on the list as a potential bidder. Who ever knew they were serious?!

Look here

What do you think about Dubai's chances of ever hosting Olympics?
Less than zero unless they build a dome over the city..... but what would the residents say???? i'm sure it would spoil their view.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:41 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Less than zero unless they build a dome over the city..... but what would the residents say???? i'm sure it would spoil their view.
the article did say that because of the harsh summer, the games would have to be held in the Spring or Autumn....
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:58 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone ignoring my comments or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Everyone ignoring my comments or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, did you say something?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:31 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Sorry, did you say something?

YES
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:21 am