British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Costs of running a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/costs-running-car-643476/)

kittycat1 Dec 5th 2009 7:11 am

Costs of running a car

Hi all,

I'm currently using taxis as haven't got round to changing my driving licence over, but I'm trying to work out if I'm actually better off cabbing it.

I currently pay about 1800 dhm a month on cabs. To hire a car I'm looking at 2 grand a month + 8 dhm a day parking + salik fees - I would be going from Tecom To Lamcy Plaza so another 8 dhm a day so an extra 320 a month so to me not worth hiring one as I'd be paying more than I currently do for cabs.

So in regards to buying a car, what are the running costs here, obviously petrol is cheap as chips but can anyone tell me what insurance is like here? Also buying a 2nd hand car off Dubizzle there are some cheap little cars but not sure how good a condition theyd be in- has anyone bought off of there? And how much is a service here? I seem to have tourist stamped on my forehead so am a bit concerned about getting ripped off.

Any advice on being car being savvy? Can you test drive cars here? All i know is I do or dont like the colour and the shape. This is when you realise how much you rely on your dad for stuff like this! And why are the stacks of cars abandoned at the airport not put up for sale?

Thanks

KC
x

lionheart Dec 5th 2009 7:29 am

Re: Costs of running a car

In the last two months alone, my employers have paid Dhs450 for a new battery, Dhs475 for a new tyre and Dhs1,750 for its 80,000km service with associated repairs. You do the math, Kitty.

Roadking Dec 5th 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8148000)
Hi all,

I'm currently using taxis as haven't got round to changing my driving licence over, but I'm trying to work out if I'm actually better off cabbing it.

I currently pay about 1800 dhm a month on cabs. To hire a car I'm looking at 2 grand a month + 8 dhm a day parking + salik fees - I would be going from Tecom To Lamcy Plaza so another 8 dhm a day so an extra 320 a month so to me not worth hiring one as I'd be paying more than I currently do for cabs.

So in regards to buying a car, what are the running costs here, obviously petrol is cheap as chips but can anyone tell me what insurance is like here? Also buying a 2nd hand car off Dubizzle there are some cheap little cars but not sure how good a condition theyd be in- has anyone bought off of there? And how much is a service here? I seem to have tourist stamped on my forehead so am a bit concerned about getting ripped off.

Any advice on being car being savvy? Can you test drive cars here? All i know is I do or dont like the colour and the shape. This is when you realise how much you rely on your dad for stuff like this! And why are the stacks of cars abandoned at the airport not put up for sale?

Thanks

KC
x

Really depends on what you want, we couldn't do without a car if only for the convenience. Actually have two cause we're greedy.

Insurance varies but figure around 5% of the value of the car per annum. Lots of good deals to be had on new and nearly new cars which should reduce your repair costs. Servicing is generally 5'000km or 10'000km in this region and again, depending on the car, doesn't have to be expensive.

Blue Cat Dec 5th 2009 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8148257)
Really depends on what you want, we couldn't do without a car if only for the convenience. Actually have two cause we're greedy.

Insurance varies but figure around 5% of the value of the car per annum. Lots of good deals to be had on new and nearly new cars which should reduce your repair costs. Servicing is generally 5'000km or 10'000km in this region and again, depending on the car, doesn't have to be expensive.

I couldn't live having to get taxi's all the time either, would drive me round the bend. I spend about 150 a month on petrol, insurance I think was about 4 grand last year.

Ethos83 Dec 5th 2009 2:20 pm

Insurance = 3500 AED.

Petrol = 300 AED/month = 3600 for the year.

Salik = 50 AED/month = 1200 for the year

Taxis (yes still take them for airport runs/boozing) = 100 AED/month = 1200 for the year.

Total: 9400 AED year to run the car inclusive of the odd taxi trip.

My Pajero, which I owe outright, is 2008 and has 18K on the clock and free servicing up to 60K, so I'm set there.

In short, I spend almost 800 AED a month on transportation. If you bought a car that would be on top of your car payments. If you stick with taxis you would be spending at least an extra 1,000 above what maintaining a car cost (probably less because you would spend more money on taxis than I do), but if you do buy a car outright, and sell it you have to factor in the depreciation value too for when you resell the car in a few years. It may be no more expensive/cheaper than taking taxis yet you don't have the bother of owning a car.