British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cost of UK passport set to increase (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cost-uk-passport-set-increase-618962/)

coffindodger Jul 8th 2009 11:47 am

Cost of UK passport set to increase

Cost of passport set to increase
Holidaymakers face inflation-busting increases in passport fees.
The cost of an adult passport will rise £5.50, or 7%, to £77.50, the Home Office said.
Fewer people are going abroad as families tighten their belts in the recession, meaning applications for passports were 400,000 below the expected level.
The rises, which will come in to force in September, will see the price of a child passport increase £3 to £49.
Fast-track adult applications, which take a week, will cost 15% more, up £15.50 to £112.50.
Prices have shot up in the last decade. In 1997 a passport cost £18. In 2007 it cost £51 and by last year it was £72.
The cost increases are in part due to the inclusion of biometric technology to improve security.
A Home Office spokesman denied the increase was related to ID cards.
But shadow home Secretary, Chris Grayling, said: "This looks like a blatant attempt to bury part of the cost of the ID scheme in the price of a passport. The Government admits that it has no idea how many people will have to volunteer for ID cards before they cover their costs, so it looks like the cost is being lumped on to our passports."
Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said British passports were a "gold standard" in identity documents. "Since the last fee increase in 2007 the Identity and Passport Service has issued almost eight million first generation ePassports, containing secure chips holding an individual's passport details and facial biometric

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...ntid=148425215

Grace O Malley Jul 8th 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Cost of UK passport set to increase

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 7734006)
Cost of passport set to increase
Holidaymakers face inflation-busting increases in passport fees.
The cost of an adult passport will rise £5.50, or 7%, to £77.50, the Home Office said.
Fewer people are going abroad as families tighten their belts in the recession, meaning applications for passports were 400,000 below the expected level.
The rises, which will come in to force in September, will see the price of a child passport increase £3 to £49.
Fast-track adult applications, which take a week, will cost 15% more, up £15.50 to £112.50.
Prices have shot up in the last decade. In 1997 a passport cost £18. In 2007 it cost £51 and by last year it was £72.
The cost increases are in part due to the inclusion of biometric technology to improve security.
A Home Office spokesman denied the increase was related to ID cards.
But shadow home Secretary, Chris Grayling, said: "This looks like a blatant attempt to bury part of the cost of the ID scheme in the price of a passport. The Government admits that it has no idea how many people will have to volunteer for ID cards before they cover their costs, so it looks like the cost is being lumped on to our passports."
Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said British passports were a "gold standard" in identity documents. "Since the last fee increase in 2007 the Identity and Passport Service has issued almost eight million first generation ePassports, containing secure chips holding an individual's passport details and facial biometric

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...ntid=148425215

The cost to make an e passport is roughly 30 dollars, thats a nice bit of profit for the gov

coffindodger Jul 8th 2009 12:46 pm

I am sooo glad i renewed my passport just before xmas last year, and is good now for another 11 years.

954RR Jul 8th 2009 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 7734155)
I am sooo glad i renewed my passport just before xmas last year, and is good now for another 11 years.

Imagine what the cost will be then !!!

Euc- Jul 8th 2009 12:57 pm

Glad mine "only" costs about 250dhs ;)

Bob Jul 8th 2009 1:50 pm

still cheaper than a consular issued one, the cheeky sods :D

Madam Medusa Jul 8th 2009 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7734319)
still cheaper than a consular issued one, the cheeky sods :D

too bloody right...i just paid 745 dhs here, that's about £125...

MM, xx

typical Jul 9th 2009 6:08 am

Goodness me yes, I got my first renewal at the consulate here, the second one I flew home and got it done in London...

lionheart Jul 9th 2009 7:22 am

We paid Dhs375 for our failed UK Visa in early-June but it had risen to Dhs405 by early-July, within only four weeks! That's inflation for you...

Blue Cat Jul 9th 2009 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7736587)
We paid Dhs375 for our failed UK Visa in early-June but it had risen to Dhs405 by early-July, within only four weeks! That's inflation for you...

typical isn't it!! Britain is in it's biggest recession ever so to help the people of their land they put the prices up!

typical Jul 9th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7737313)
typical isn't it!!

Isn't it what?

... oh.

:o

Blue Cat Jul 9th 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 7737370)
Isn't it what?

... oh.

:o

:rofl:

Euc- Jul 9th 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7736587)

Why do you pay?? If you are married they are obliged to issue a visit visa free of charge for your non-eu spouse.

Technically they shouldn't even ask for bank statements etc, but ok, let's let that one slide.

If you have proof that they charged you, contact Solvit (Google it for more info)

benzonar Jul 9th 2009 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7737313)
typical isn't it!! Britain is in it's biggest recession ever so to help the people of their land they put the prices up!

Yes but if people can't afford a new passport then they are more likely to stay home and spend what little money they have in the UK.

Blue Cat Jul 10th 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 7737799)
Yes but if people can't afford a new passport then they are more likely to stay home and spend what little money they have in the UK.

or get a passport and leave for good .....