Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Saudi Arabia

Cost of living in Saudi Arabia

Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

wedgie999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Saudi Arabia

Hi, I have been offered a job in KSA with everything provided. However the salary isnt brilliant. What would in light of your experience a family of four, (kids 4 and 2 years old) spend on food and and eating out occaisionally per month? Also is it common practice to set the initial offer low ,or is it wishfull thinking on my part!
Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Saudi Arabia

costa del saudi
i live in ksa please give some more info onto where you are moving into.
riyadh/ jeddah/ damman or even taif.
the cost of living has gone up here in saudi by about 5% last year.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:34 am
Just Joined

SheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really niceSheikhRattleRoll is just really nice

Originally Posted by wedgie999
Hi, I have been offered a job in KSA with everything provided. However the salary isnt brilliant. What would in light of your experience a family of four, (kids 4 and 2 years old) spend on food and and eating out occaisionally per month? Also is it common practice to set the initial offer low ,or is it wishfull thinking on my part!
Thanks
Hi,

Theres a very good guide to Saudi lifestyle/ Cost of living on www.sainsaudi.co.za - forum.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Jeddah, and I had about four months in Riyadh. Generally it is quite cheaper than the UK.

We spend around £60 on a weekly shopping bill, which is for a family of three and that includes all the meat,fruit and veg ( which I find expensive in the UK).

Fuel is of course very cheap. My company provides me with the accommodation so I can't comment on cost of housing and fuel bills.The Dean has a good handle on cost of housing.

Eating out - depending on the quality of the place. Three of us ate last week at a Lebanese restuarant, total was 79 riyals - around £12.

Used cars can be a little cheaper to buy, but it depends on the car. Big engine cars are very cheap at the moment in the UK, but the same age old car here would probably be more expensive due to the cost of fuel not being an issue. I think new cars here are cheaper than they are in the UK.

Where is the job based and what would be doing?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks to everyone who replied. It appears the offer was ok, there was some confusion about the bonuses. We will initially be staying in Jeddah in an Arabian Homes compound (Which one's the best?) then moving up north around July. All the info on the this forum and the links you have given has helped us to decide to go for it. more details to follow once its all boxed off.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

What is the name of the compound?

We're in an Arabian Homes compound in Jeddah, been here just over a month moving from Riyadh. Where are you going up North ? Tabuk?

I can always send you a couple of pics of the compound we're on.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Hi, we will be at either Andalus or Sierra villages. Were off to the new university in Thurwal.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm on Sierra village, currently in a 2 bed apartment but moving in a couple of weeks to a 4 bed villa. I quite like Sierra, its pretty close to a lot of the shops and malls as well as being very handy for the airport.

Pics were taken just before sunset. From the balcony..

And another...

Main entrance to the compound.

Sierra has on site shop, gym, restuarant, medical services, hairdressers, travel agents, dry cleaners. THe accommodation is split into areas which each have their own swimming pool, and ranges from 2 bed apartments to big 4 / 5 bedroomed villas.

Also has bowling alley, tennis courts, football courts etc.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the pics. It looks great. I will let you know where were going as soon as I find out.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

wrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nice

It's hard to tell if those photos came from Arabian in Jeddah. Looks identical to the Arabian compound in Riyadh. The security gate was the only difference.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wrxqme
It's hard to tell if those photos came from Arabian in Jeddah. Looks identical to the Arabian compound in Riyadh. The security gate was the only difference.
They came from the Arabian Homes compound here in Jeddah ( Sierra ). Its looks very similar to the one in Riyadh - the one not far from Sahara Mall? Looks almost identical in fact, the style of housing, almost a spanish feel to it. Only visited Riyadh Arabian Homes the once, but liked it. Like it here in Jeddah too
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

wrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nice

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
They came from the Arabian Homes compound here in Jeddah ( Sierra ). Its looks very similar to the one in Riyadh - the one not far from Sahara Mall? Looks almost identical in fact, the style of housing, almost a spanish feel to it. Only visited Riyadh Arabian Homes the once, but liked it. Like it here in Jeddah too
Yeah the one near Sahara Mall. The one that has no space left on it. That's the reason I live in Ranco off Khurais Rd. No Spanish feel about that compound.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

The location was prime though ( Riyadh Arabian Homes ) , so close to the main shopping area's , near to Sahara / Hyatt Malls, just down the road from THe Deans fave hangout - Le Mall, and not too far from King Fahd Highway / Olaya St. I know it had a long waiting list, the one here in Jeddah also has a long waiting list.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:08 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
The location was prime though ( Riyadh Arabian Homes ) , so close to the main shopping area's , near to Sahara / Hyatt Malls, just down the road from THe Deans fave hangout - Le Mall, and not too far from King Fahd Highway / Olaya St. I know it had a long waiting list, the one here in Jeddah also has a long waiting list.
when people say that these places are full, does that mean completely full? or no family villas left? am only looking for a bachelors pad myself and am getting mixed ideas about whether compounds have them....?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by still.unsure
when people say that these places are full, does that mean completely full? or no family villas left? am only looking for a bachelors pad myself and am getting mixed ideas about whether compounds have them....?
From what little I know, I think if you tend to approach them directly, they will probably say they are full with long waiting lists.

However, if your company does it on your behalf, and if they have a good working relationship with that compound / housing company, then you have a better chance.

My employer had a lease on a two bed apartment here in Jeddah. As I brought my family out, they agreed to to move me to a family accommodation and got me a villa on the same compound. Apparently, this same villa was just about to be put for sale / lease, but they held it back for my company so it could be allocated to me. This was due to the fact that my employer does a lot of business with the compound, but the official word on the street is that the compound is full and there is a waiting list.

I'm relieved that I don't have to sort out the housing at all. When I get the bills for water / electricity - I just pass them onto my companies finance people.I can imagine sorting it yourself can be a bit of a nightmare, but the easiest solution is get your people to do it for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.