Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Riyadh

Cost of living in Riyadh

Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Riyadh

Going through the interview process and the subject of money has come up. I am trying to work out all the 'other costs' before going back and negotiating my package. Other than accomodation and school fees, can anyone give me an idea of general cost of living please? Food, bills, maid/cleaner, car rental, mobile bill, eating out, getting lashed (oops .. ignore that one), etc
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Riyadh

Is that lashed (the painful one) or lashed (the other one)? If you mean the latter then hob nobbing at the embassies can be quite pricey - about 250-330SAR a ticket (£1 = 6SAR). Other costs ... we spend about 400SAR a week on food (we are 2), phone is pretty cheap, internet is about 200SAR a month, you can pay for TV which is probably a small amount a month. We have bought a vehicle and you can spend as little or as much as you want. For a decent 4x4 upto 4 years old you're looking at about 85000SAR. Friends just bought a brand new, top of the range Landcruiser for 180000SAR. Insurance is about 6% of the value. Maids are about 20SAR an hour and probably more economical if you have one full time.
Probably better to have accommodation provided and paid for including bills (ona compound obviously).
Hope that helps
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most compounds include satelite TV in the cost of the villa and often electricity and water too, altho these might have a top limit where after that you have to start paying.

A large oasis bottle of home brew costs about 150sr for all the ingredients. Dirt cheap! The hard stuff will cost you around 1200sr a bottle - alledgedly

Enjoy
N
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks chaps for your quick and detailed replies ...interview process going slowly due to hajj etc but will keep you posted if the job comes through and if I get out there

Alfie, I think we're on the same wavelength re 'lashed'. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Chaps = chappettes too !! apols ladies