Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Index

Cost of Living Index

Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:44 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of Living Index

People frequently ask about cost of living in our various states. I was wondering if we could create the cost of an artificial basket of goods for each country as a specific indicator.

My suggestions are:

Water, washing powder, petrol, Big Mac, mans white long sleeved shirt, 6 pack of coke, daily hire car and so on.

I'm happy to do the exercise for Kuwait and if people are interested then can they please make more intelligent suggestions for the basket than I have.

It will have some meaning and so satisfy some people although I have found myself that my main cash expenditure goes on to things that are not routine such as a night out and not predictable.

Join in if you wish
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living Index

Originally Posted by Dago
People frequently ask about cost of living in our various states. I was wondering if we could create the cost of an artificial basket of goods for each country as a specific indicator.

My suggestions are:

Water, washing powder, petrol, Big Mac, mans white long sleeved shirt, 6 pack of coke, daily hire car and so on.

I'm happy to do the exercise for Kuwait and if people are interested then can they please make more intelligent suggestions for the basket than I have.

It will have some meaning and so satisfy some people although I have found myself that my main cash expenditure goes on to things that are not routine such as a night out and not predictable.

Join in if you wish
Great idea.......

Would you put 'rent' in it? You probably should but it may be a bit tricky to compare like with like........
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:50 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Yes I would put rent in. In fact I would use the receptionists rent. Because all of the ex pats come in at different levels from MD to driver and some have an allowance then it would not work. The receptionist would proxy for the lowest acceptable rent for an ex-pat is my theory. I would also put the cost of a maid in for sat am as well because this is representative.

I'll put in the cost of a fare home and am going to leave out all of the food and drink and replace by dinner at the nearest reasonable restaurant. I know that is variable but is representative.

Those in Saudi and Kuwait will come out hugely cheaper because of the non=alc law.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Yes I would put rent in. In fact I would use the receptionists rent. Because all of the ex pats come in at different levels from MD to driver and some have an allowance then it would not work. The receptionist would proxy for the lowest acceptable rent for an ex-pat is my theory. I would also put the cost of a maid in for sat am as well because this is representative.

I'll put in the cost of a fare home and am going to leave out all of the food and drink and replace by dinner at the nearest reasonable restaurant. I know that is variable but is representative.

Those in Saudi and Kuwait will come out hugely cheaper because of the non=alc law.
surely with the market as it is... rent will fluctuate very quickly meaning your information would be out of date almost as soon as you posted it no?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see you haven't discovered the Q8 black market yet, Dago...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cham128
surely with the market as it is... rent will fluctuate very quickly meaning your information would be out of date almost as soon as you posted it no?
No - I'll just ask the receptionist how much he / she pays. The difference is a derivative - a second order effect I'm not going to fight with models - I'll just create a database for Kuwait and anyone who wants to join in can do so. Perhaps I can put in inflation which will address your point to a small extent although as i want to quote costs in sterling, I'\m not sure how to do that. But I'll work it out!!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Ah, I see you haven't discovered the Q8 black market yet, Dago...
Good point - but I don't have suffiecient gen on it to be able to include it. I believe that the going rate is 50 GBP for 3 litres date rum. Same for a bottle of gin and a lot less for home brew wine.

They don't sell it at the restaurants so it gets excluded. Seriously though if you drink it is a real cost and if not then it is a real saving in the cost of living. I go out for a nice meal for two for 10 quid here. In the UK about 30 I think - and half of that is a bottle.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:46 pm
Banned

Dubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea Dago. I am embarrassed to say I rarely look at my food shopping receipts. I do know that my fav yoghurt is about 7dhs which is more than double back home.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:01 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubai_Chick
Good idea Dago. I am embarrassed to say I rarely look at my food shopping receipts. I do know that my fav yoghurt is about 7dhs which is more than double back home.
shame on you here is a local fat free one that is fab - for about 1.5 dhs
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:03 pm
Banned

Dubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond reputeDubai_Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
shame on you here is a local fat free one that is fab - for about 1.5 dhs
Some of them are just too creamy even tho they are fat free. My fav one is the muller one with rubarb and crunchy bits.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:16 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them are just too creamy even tho they are fat free. My fav one is the muller one with rubarb and crunchy bits.
matter of taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

You could get all earth motherly and start growing your own yoghurt cultures. It's sooo holistic....
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
You could get all earth motherly and start growing your own yoghurt cultures. It's sooo holistic....
Really? Do I need to be producing milk?