Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

cost of living etc

cost of living etc

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:33 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default cost of living etc

Hello to all on these forums.I am new to using these things but would be grateful for any advise.
I have been offered work in construction(telecoms) senior site supervisor and have been offered company shared villa,a vehicle,insurance,yearly return flights and 5 weeks annual leave with 15k uad a month.Having a mortgage in the uk to consider until secure enough to stay on a residency is this enough to live on? It is the first offer and we are negotiating at present.I will be all over the uae and the company is based in dubai.

Many thanks in advance.
G
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living etc

I take it you missed the thread that's tuck up top? Plenty of threads on the subject and info on the wiki already to get you going, once you've had a snoop and have specific questions after, you'll probably get a lot of good info, otherwise you probably won't, as people can't be arsed to help people who couldn't be arsed to search a topic that has been asked loads on the opening page of the forum.

Welcome to BE though
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

why shared villa? why not own apartment? basic seems low to me
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:15 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Given that you'll be worked until you drop, I'd say that even with the company-provided accommodation (which eliminates your single biggest cost), that salary is too low for it to be really worth your while, especially with a mortgage to pay back in the UK. Ask for 30k, settle for 25k.

And make sure you read this thread

Last edited by Eeyore; Aug 29th 2008 at 7:17 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Given that you'll be worked until you drop, I'd say that even with the company-provided accommodation (which eliminates your single biggest cost), that salary is too low for it to be really worth your while. Ask for 30k, settle for 25k.

And make sure you read this thread
so if you think that is a good salary, minus housing, I am surprised you are not able to save enough money every month to cover your housing?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:45 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

To pay our rent next year, we'd have to save about 12k per month. That would be a piece of piss if we weren't also paying out 12k per month on our rent loan from the bank.

See the problem?

Fortunately we earn considerably more than 25k per month, otherwise it would be impossible to live here.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:49 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Eeyore
To pay our rent next year, we'd have to save about 12k per month. That would be a piece of piss if we weren't also paying out 12k per month on our rent loan from the bank.

See the problem?

Fortunately we earn considerably more than 25k per month, otherwise it would be impossible to live here.
'

Yes I see the problem, vicious circle. Everyone in this day and age needs to earn more than 25k to be able to sustain a decent standard of living here.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:11 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

thanks for your responses,I did get a chance to read through parts of the forum and done a bit of research but was back home for the night and rushing off to london for the weekend,yak,now i m heading upto scotland and have limited t'internet again so please don't think its lazyiness I just don't have enough hours in my days at present!!
Sharing company villa with 1 guy who is doing same job,we have villas on all the emirates so only would be sharing if both of us are on same emirate which will be alot to start with till I know the craic and then hardly sharing unless company required etc
I'm reckoning 25k uad is what I should be expecting and Im gonna ask for 30k,so thanks all for helping hopefully I will be over there soon and maybe meet up with some of ya.

regards

Glynster