Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Dubai

Cost of living in Dubai

Old May 31st 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

jimmcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Dubai

My boss has just offered me a job in Dubai. Flat, medical and car thrown in, salary tax free paid back in the UK plus living allowance.
I basically want to leave my salary in the UK and live off the allowance. The big question is how much do you think I would need as a single bloke?

appreciate any advice you could give
Old May 31st 2009, 6:28 pm

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Dubai

Originally Posted by jimmcd
My boss has just offered me a job in Dubai. Flat, medical and car thrown in, salary tax free paid back in the UK plus living allowance.
I basically want to leave my salary in the UK and live off the allowance. The big question is how much do you think I would need as a single bloke?

if you want to save money - go to Saudi Arabia; there is nothing to spend money on. Dubai - I'd like to hear how many people have actually saved something in here?

How big is your allowance?
Old May 31st 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

do a search, there are gazillions of threads on this subject and will give you a good idea of the cost of living...

MM, xx
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I've saved a fortune whilst here, and I'm sure there are loads like me..
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we do ok and I don't even have to work in this shitpit. Oh no, sorry, I meant sandpit..

or perhaps not..
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of

It depends how you live i suppose. What is your monthly allowance and maybe we can help?

We decided to put our spare cash into a house instead but we would have saved a fortune too if we didn't do that and thats without me working at the moment.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

BorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really nice

Originally Posted by diablo
if you want to save money - go to Saudi Arabia; there is nothing to spend money on. Dubai - I'd like to hear how many people have actually saved something in here?
We have saved quite a lot while we have been here. We don't touch my DH's salary unless absolutely necessary and live on his allowance of 4000AED quite comfortably.

HTH
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BorderTart
We have saved quite a lot while we have been here. We don't touch my DH's salary unless absolutely necessary and live on his allowance of 4000AED quite comfortably.

HTH
Goodness me BT thats good! Think you'll need to give us some tips!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

BorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsHawkes
Goodness me BT thats good! Think you'll need to give us some tips!
I'm no expert, I just do lots of home cooking, don't have a maid and we tend to go out once or twice a week maximum.

Our lifestyle is probably less exciting than most others but it suits us ok. DH works more than 60 hours a week with only a Friday off, so we don't have the energy to live it to the max!

Our plan is to have a good life and a long and happy retirement so plan to stash away as much cash as we can.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diablo

How big is your allowance?
I'v ebeen here 15 months and saved f¨ck all. But that's me, I'm bloody rubbish.

Saying that I spend 3k a month on cabs and now have more t-shirts and football boots that I've ever owned in my life.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I've saved a fortune whilst here, and I'm sure there are loads like me..
mmmm hmmm.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:56 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by BorderTart

HTH
both of you get by on 4k a month?

Jesus, I spend that on sambuca.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that you salaray is not automatically tax-free from the day you leave the UK.

-
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Bear in mind that you salaray is not automatically tax-free from the day you leave the UK.

-
Thanks for the reminder, Meow, not everyone realises this.

We have been living abroad for many years, although only in Dubai for the past year or so, so not a problem for us.

Last edited by BorderTart; Jun 1st 2009 at 6:21 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:19 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
both of you get by on 4k a month?

Jesus, I spend that on sambuca.
II was gonna say the same.... (Aye, not Sambuca, like!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.