British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cost of living in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cost-living-dubai-612236/)

jimmcd May 31st 2009 6:25 pm

Cost of living in Dubai

My boss has just offered me a job in Dubai. Flat, medical and car thrown in, salary tax free paid back in the UK plus living allowance.
I basically want to leave my salary in the UK and live off the allowance. The big question is how much do you think I would need as a single bloke?

appreciate any advice you could give

diablo May 31st 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Cost of living in Dubai

Originally Posted by jimmcd (Post 7620924)
My boss has just offered me a job in Dubai. Flat, medical and car thrown in, salary tax free paid back in the UK plus living allowance.
I basically want to leave my salary in the UK and live off the allowance. The big question is how much do you think I would need as a single bloke?

if you want to save money - go to Saudi Arabia; there is nothing to spend money on. Dubai - I'd like to hear how many people have actually saved something in here?

How big is your allowance?

Madam Medusa May 31st 2009 6:35 pm

do a search, there are gazillions of threads on this subject and will give you a good idea of the cost of living...

MM, xx

commander Jun 1st 2009 1:48 am

I've saved a fortune whilst here, and I'm sure there are loads like me..

admon Jun 1st 2009 2:55 am

Yep we do ok and I don't even have to work in this shitpit. Oh no, sorry, I meant sandpit..

or perhaps not..

MrsHawkes Jun 1st 2009 3:51 am

It depends how you live i suppose. What is your monthly allowance and maybe we can help?

We decided to put our spare cash into a house instead but we would have saved a fortune too if we didn't do that and thats without me working at the moment.

BorderTart Jun 1st 2009 5:32 am

Originally Posted by diablo (Post 7620931)
if you want to save money - go to Saudi Arabia; there is nothing to spend money on. Dubai - I'd like to hear how many people have actually saved something in here?

We have saved quite a lot while we have been here. We don't touch my DH's salary unless absolutely necessary and live on his allowance of 4000AED quite comfortably.

HTH

MrsHawkes Jun 1st 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by BorderTart (Post 7621988)
We have saved quite a lot while we have been here. We don't touch my DH's salary unless absolutely necessary and live on his allowance of 4000AED quite comfortably.

HTH

Goodness me BT thats good! Think you'll need to give us some tips!

BorderTart Jun 1st 2009 5:46 am

Originally Posted by MrsHawkes (Post 7622003)
Goodness me BT thats good! Think you'll need to give us some tips!

I'm no expert, I just do lots of home cooking, don't have a maid and we tend to go out once or twice a week maximum.

Our lifestyle is probably less exciting than most others but it suits us ok. DH works more than 60 hours a week with only a Friday off, so we don't have the energy to live it to the max!

Our plan is to have a good life and a long and happy retirement so plan to stash away as much cash as we can. :D

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by diablo (Post 7620931)

How big is your allowance?

I'v ebeen here 15 months and saved f¨ck all. But that's me, I'm bloody rubbish.

Saying that I spend 3k a month on cabs and now have more t-shirts and football boots that I've ever owned in my life.

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7621520)
I've saved a fortune whilst here, and I'm sure there are loads like me..

mmmm hmmm.

Spugsy Jun 1st 2009 5:56 am

Originally Posted by BorderTart (Post 7621988)

HTH

both of you get by on 4k a month?

Jesus, I spend that on sambuca.

Meow Jun 1st 2009 6:05 am

Bear in mind that you salaray is not automatically tax-free from the day you leave the UK.

-

BorderTart Jun 1st 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7622038)
Bear in mind that you salaray is not automatically tax-free from the day you leave the UK.

-

Thanks for the reminder, Meow, not everyone realises this.

We have been living abroad for many years, although only in Dubai for the past year or so, so not a problem for us.

TGFKASE Jun 1st 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7622028)
both of you get by on 4k a month?

Jesus, I spend that on sambuca.

II was gonna say the same....:eek: (Aye, not Sambuca, like!!)