Reload this Page >

The cost of Living in Dubai

The cost of Living in Dubai

Old May 27th 2003, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Shroom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The cost of Living in Dubai

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help.

I have a job offer to go and work in Dubai and am very keen. However, I'm getting conflicting information regarding the cost of living over there. My potential employer says that the cost of living is about a quarter of the cost in London. Several others have told me this also. However, I went to the UAE embassy in London last week and they gave me information that suggested it was the same, if not more. I realize that it depends on what your buying and if its imported or not, but could anyone give me an idea of the relative cost of living? How much is food and clothes and so on? The more information the better.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old May 28th 2003, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Coxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The cost of Living in Dubai

Hello Jon,
One question, is your future employer going to pay for your accommodation? because if you have to pay yourself it will take a slice of your income. You can get a one bed fully furnished in a good area for about 5,000 Dirhams per month (approx 830 quid) or you can get a two bed unfurnished for about 45,000 per year (7,500 sterling)

Prices are comparable to the U.K. in respect of food and clothes, you can even buy fake shirts and jeans Polo, Boss, etc for about 6 quid!!

Beer prices can range from 1.80 per pint to 10.00 pound it just depends where you want to go.

Cigarettes are only 80p a packet, and even cheaper at the duty free where you can buy a carton for 36 Dirhams (6 Quid)

The big chain supermarkets are extremely cheaper when it comes to beef products and a good sized prime cut steak will only cost you about 1.50 pounds!!

There are always eat and drink nights at various hotels and it will only cost you about 15 sterling which entitles you to an array of food and all the house wine and bottled beer you can drink.

If you need any more info give me a shout
Old May 28th 2003, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Shroom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The cost of Living in Dubai

Cheers Coxy,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my employer will pay for the accomodation.

So would you say then, that a weeks groceries is about the same cost as over here? Say in one of those cheap supermarkets?

What about eating out? I know that alot of the expat entertainment is based in the hotels, does that mean its cost is higher?

What you saying does generally agree with the embassy, and sadly disagree with the quarter cost quoted by my employer.

Oh well, any other information would be useful.

Thanks again
Jon