Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Doha according to Numbeo...

Cost of living in Doha according to Numbeo...

Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:37 am
Just Joined

starsky_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Doha according to Numbeo...

Just been doing a few living cost comparisons on Numbeo. I'm currently based in Australia and the cost of living - except for accommodation, internet, and booze - is cheaper (quite a bit in some cases) in Doha. Now, I know Australia is expensive, but I was wondering if anyone can verify that the cost of items listed on Numbeo if purchased in Doha are more or less accurate?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living in Doha according to Numbeo...

Prices are a good reflection of average prices in Doha (except for the accommodation which I would say needs updating by a couple of thousand a month) - although you can find some of those grocery type items cheaper, depending on where you shop. Cost of living here is MUCH cheaper than in Australia so we think its great - but many Europeans do complain that some items are more expensive than in Europe or the UK.

Shopping (food) for our family of 4 I find Car4 the most expensive (around 1200 a week) - then Lulu (800/wk)- and so I do our 'basics' at Family Food (600/wk) and go to Lulu, Car4, Spinneys and MegaMart only for (mostly) imported items that are not available at Family Food. I find the quality of fruit/vege and meat to be good at Family Food as many locals shop there and demand it - although I will admit that the variety is not as good as Lulu.

Mind you - I'm happy to shop like this as I find it less difficult than when we were in Jeddah you had to go to all the major supermarkets on a rotation basis as they all held different brands/items that you wanted!

As an aside I rarely go to Car4 as I find that their range of products is less varied than Lulu and its so expensive - but I know that Europeans love it as it has many of their 'home' brands that they like using and they won't shop anywhere else.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

starsky_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Doha according to Numbeo...

Thanks for your reply and information. I've been in Melbourne just over a year and have found it to be ludicruously expensive for many items but I just wanted to check how Doha was in comparison. Good to hear it's generally cheaper, except for the accommodation, but the sponsor will effectively be paying for that.