Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The correct process for re-registering sold car in UAE

The correct process for re-registering sold car in UAE

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default The correct process for re-registering sold car in UAE

So I sold my car which is registered in Dubai. I wil get the mortgage clearance letter today so the guy can register it in Abu Dhabi. Is this a difficult/time consuming process? Will there be any issues since it is currently registered in Dubai but the buyer must register in AD?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The correct process for re-registering sold car in UAE

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld View Post
So I sold my car which is registered in Dubai. I wil get the mortgage clearance letter today so the guy can register it in Abu Dhabi. Is this a difficult/time consuming process? Will there be any issues since it is currently registered in Dubai but the buyer must register in AD?
this is a nightmare! you have to 'export' it out of Dubai and into AD. Someone will know more about it than me .
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

We did it a few years ago now - took a few hours in Dubai - we went late on a night to the centre beside MOE and took care of our end(sellers) the buyer then went down to register in Abu Dhabi himself - don't know how long that took.

Remember to get whatever piece of paper you need for the insurance company to get you insurance back - we didn't - and this took time
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

So I must personally go with the vehicle to the licensing centre in Dubai? The guy is going to be pissed.. he just bought it, has it in his possession and assumes he just needs to take it and me to the AD licensing centre.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld View Post
So I must personally go with the vehicle to the licensing centre in Dubai? The guy is going to be pissed.. he just bought it, has it in his possession and assumes he just needs to take it and me to the AD licensing centre.
If the car is registered in Dubai, you just need to take it to the Dubai licensing office (near MOE, or near Al-Wasl Hospital, both are open late) to get it 'de-registered' from you (once any bank loan is settled) and to get export papers and a new temporary export licence plate.

AFAIK that's where the seller's involvement ends - the buyer is the one "importing" the car into AD, so he can go whenever (within three or seven days, don't remember) to the AD reg office and get it reigstered in his name.

I did this once around three years ago, not sure if the process has changed since then.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:09 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

How long before the re-registration is due can you re register a car, presumably you need to have your new insurance in place prior to the date as the car registration and insurance are due at the same time?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

you cant register until close to the date, in ad they will send you away otherwise. yes you do need insurance in order to do the paperwork, you can get the testing done previously but not the paperwork, in order to get the gold card etc you need insurance.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:51 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
you cant register until close to the date, in ad they will send you away otherwise. yes you do need insurance in order to do the paperwork, you can get the testing done previously but not the paperwork, in order to get the gold card etc you need insurance.
Ok thanks
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just de-registered in dubai and the guy got re-registered in abu dhabi.

Holy ****ing shit. It was a mission.