Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
"little'uns"?

ooo, actually, just looked at the verb "to sprog"... and well, I may have to reassess my vocabulary!

to sprog (third-person singular simple present sprogs, present participle sprogging, simple past and past participle sprogged)

(Australian slang) to ejaculate, to come
What is wrong wth saying 'children'? 'Kids' is also fine, although I always hear my dad's voice saying 'a kid is a baby goat'.

Whilst on the subject can we also avoid 'peeps' and especially 'little peeps'? It sounds like silly baby talk.

I find it quite interesting how some people take to living overseas like the proverbial duck, whilst others cannot cope outside of a familiar environment. The latter are the ones who end up hating the wherever they are) and complaining that it isn't 'just like home'.

-
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coping with the emotional pain of living apart from family and making Dubai work

Originally Posted by Meow

I find it quite interesting how some people take to living overseas like the proverbial duck, whilst others cannot cope outside of a familiar environment. The latter are the ones who end up hating the wherever they are) and complaining that it isn't 'just like home'.

-
Sadly not only overseas. What about the wives of highly paid footballers back in UK who couldn't bear to go to London with hubby and leave mummy back up north!!! Anyone remember Paul Stewart??!!! And many others.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:15 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
LOL

I (innocently) used the word 'snaffling' thinking it meant thievery. When I looked it up was shocked.

Shame, cos I liked the word and used it often in conversation.
oo, you had me worried there for a moment, but you'll be pleased to hear that "to snaffle" does indeed mean "to obtain especially by devious or irregular means/ snap up" in all the dictionaries I've quickly looked at (so.. 2!) apart from good ol' Urban Dictionary, which, er... yeah.

It's also a horse's bit, consisting of two bars joined at the centre.

Helpful.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
errr...what brought this on?
he is jealous because you are here and living a great life with you family, while he failed to get a job and is back in Oz, bitter man.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:59 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
he is jealous because you are here and living a great life with you family, while he failed to get a job and is back in Oz, bitter man.
poor man is probably stuck in Perth
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

given the difficulty of the situaion back in the UK, it seems unlikely that if you are struggling here in the ME I can't see how going back would solve any problems, many on here don't seem to realise the severity of the UK jobs situation, so in reality i would suspect even if you were able to limp on here until April, which i can't see you have any choice on from a tax perspective, you have said that that would at least take you to the point where your small debts would be repaid. That's a positive. You have a job here and probably very little prospect of getting one back in the UK, another positive

Now moving on to your family situation, given that you haven't stated your salary but that you have said that you would not be able to rent somewhere to live even for yourself, you should completely put out of your mind the possibility of your wife & child coming here, so that removes that option entirely. Another positive and 1 less option to be tormenting yourself with.

Your mothers health is completely prohibitive to her coming here, so remove that option entirely from your mind also. Another positive, so far i've identified 4 potential positives in your situation.

So in essence if you contiinue to keep your job in Dubai, it will be on the basis that you will be here on your own, if you can't cope with that then you should indeed stay until April, stop going home so often because it is actually making your life harder and causing more problems for you that it's solving, it also costs money which could be better spent on your debt reduction. If your mothers health is so bad, then your family back home should be entitled to additional benefits, such as carers allowance or whateverr the recent equivalent of this is, your sister should be investigating this and filling in every form she can get her hands on to ease the UK burden.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Sadly not only overseas. What about the wives of highly paid footballers back in UK who couldn't bear to go to London with hubby and leave mummy back up north!!! Anyone remember Paul Stewart??!!! And many others.

the reverse too... didnt Posh Spice have trouble settling in Manchester?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:10 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Oooh, what'd he say? I always miss the juicy bits...
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:11 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Oooh, what'd he say? I always miss the juicy bits...
he said I looked like an old age pensioner...
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:21 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
he said I looked like an old age pensioner...
Oh my. You don't even have pipe in your mouth.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:05 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Can I be really rude?
**** off if you say No.
To the OP, you have been whinging for a while now and yes J'agree with Mata methinks said it.....you can't support 3 generations on your own.....
You seem not to be in the professional bracket which will return sufficient monies for a 'nice' lifestyle.Why the hell is yer M.I.L walking away from State benefits in UK and putting onus on you to earn more?? The whole world knows its free money in the UK.

Sorry I'm bored now but in conclusion,can I just say...don't have family,dependents or surrogates.....be yourself.