Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Conviction a block to Qatar

Conviction a block to Qatar

Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Conviction a block to Qatar

Hi All,

I am hoping to take up a post with a Qatari governmental organisation , but i have two things against me . One was a caution when i was 15 for shoplifting, the other was for being drunk and being put in cells for a night about 5 years ago.

I have looked at different websites and i am not clear on what they need , i.e basic, disclosure Scotland, enhanced , subject access , police certificates and so on ad infinitum !

If they ask me for a subject access request the above will show up , if they ask for a basic disclosure i will be ok Or is there no regular way of them processing this and it changes dependent on where you work.

It would be such a nightmare if the stupidity of one night out and being an idiot kid puts the scuppers on this opportunity

thank you so much for your advice
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conviction a block to Qatar

Originally Posted by kingsbury100
Hi All,

I am hoping to take up a post with a Qatari governmental organisation , but i have two things against me . One was a caution when i was 15 for shoplifting, the other was for being drunk and being put in cells for a night about 5 years ago.

I have looked at different websites and i am not clear on what they need , i.e basic, disclosure Scotland, enhanced , subject access , police certificates and so on ad infinitum !

If they ask me for a subject access request the above will show up , if they ask for a basic disclosure i will be ok Or is there no regular way of them processing this and it changes dependent on where you work.

It would be such a nightmare if the stupidity of one night out and being an idiot kid puts the scuppers on this opportunity

Cautions last on record for 5 years. Was it longer than 5 years ago?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Cautions last on record for 5 years. Was it longer than 5 years ago?
yep , trouble is with a subject access request it shows up ,no matter how long ago
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

I think it depends on which organisation or company you work for.

If it's a govt. place, expect them to employ agencies to check out everything about you otherwise private companies may not be as thorough...
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:55 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

yep , trouble is with a subject access request it shows up ,no matter how long ago
Can you not get it checked yourself before they do?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:27 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

A Basic Disclosure from Disclosure Scotland is all you need and can be ordered yourself online and delivered to your UK address. It will then require to be notarised by a UK Solicitor, then stamped by UK FCO, then stamped by the Qatar Embassay in London, then stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Qatar (near Gulf Signal on C-Ring Road), then submitted to the Qatar CID office (Off Salwa Rd, south of Industrial Interchange) with an application for a CID check (your employer will likely do this for you if you were recruited overseas).

Your UK cautions won't show up.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

'Conviction a Block to Qatar?' I'm surprised they didn't list it as a Qualification!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a proposal that this should be a requiurement. QWatar could become the New Van Diemens Land.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Can you not get it checked yourself before they do?
I am in the process of doing this at the moment, but i am stressing and losing what little hair i have left !
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:56 pm
Shark Fisherman

Que Sera, Sera. You are not losing anything by finding out now (Except the hair) I had 2 cautions in my life too, one at 15 and one at 20 and neither have bit me on the arse yet and I have had to have clearance for airfields etc in the UK
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
A Basic Disclosure from Disclosure Scotland is all you need and can be ordered yourself online and delivered to your UK address. It will then require to be notarised by a UK Solicitor, then stamped by UK FCO, then stamped by the Qatar Embassay in London, then stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Qatar (near Gulf Signal on C-Ring Road), then submitted to the Qatar CID office (Off Salwa Rd, south of Industrial Interchange) with an application for a CID check (your employer will likely do this for you if you were recruited overseas).

Your UK cautions won't show up.
Hi Johnny boy , you seem very certain of the fact that they will only want a basic CRB (and i pray to god you are right!!!!) Do you mind me asking how you are so sure? Is it always the same process no matter what government organisation you are working for ?

Also can you please tell me what a CID check is ? I wouldn't want to come out here on a basic and then they do a deeper investigation and i have to go home again
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Que Sera, Sera. You are not losing anything by finding out now (Except the hair) I had 2 cautions in my life too, one at 15 and one at 20 and neither have bit me on the arse yet and I have had to have clearance for airfields etc in the UK
Funnily enough i am not so worried about getting into the country and the officials not letting me in , more that the actual organisation i am working for finding out and revoking my job offer,

Although i probably have got this arse about face
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:34 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, we just lost an excellent chap as he didn't pass the CID security clearance... made us all very interested, but it was prob for something tedious.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Interestingly, we just lost an excellent chap as he didn't pass the CID security clearance... made us all very interested, but it was prob for something tedious.
never has a username had more contrast with the answer you gave , c'mon sunshine your killing me