Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Old Jul 9th 2017, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Originally Posted by jam25mack
By what the DVLA say. Apparently if you are a non resident in the UK your UK licence isn't valid.
Interesting and I stand corrected... it does seem to come down to whether you have an address in the UK and it doesn't define what a 'resident' is for 'DVLA' purposes (not that I can find). If I spend 80 days a year at my UK home can/should I have a UK licence ? I'm a non resident for tax but considered a resident for other things (I'm ordinary resident for NHS purposes).

Last edited by UKMS; Jul 9th 2017 at 5:20 am.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
Interesting and I stand corrected... it does seem to come down to whether you have an address in the UK and it doesn't define what a 'resident' is for 'DVLA' purposes (not that I can find). If I spend 80 days a year at my UK home can/should I have a UK licence ? I'm a non resident for tax but considered a resident for other things (I'm ordinary resident for NHS purposes).
Who the f**k knows..... but at a guess it means if you a resident elsewhere (I.e have a resident visa). Either way, for safety's (and lack of having to worry about speed cameras) sake i'd drive on the UAE licence as you wouldn't want to get in a smash only for those dirty insurance folk to dig out the small print and inform you that you're uninsured. Your call tho.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Who the f**k knows..... but at a guess it means if you a resident elsewhere (I.e have a resident visa). Either way, for safety's (and lack of having to worry about speed cameras) sake i'd drive on the UAE licence as you wouldn't want to get in a smash only for those dirty insurance folk to dig out the small print and inform you that you're uninsured. Your call tho.
Talk to me about the speed camera one.
Surely if your hire car gets flashed, the fine is put into the database, it pops up with Thrifty or Hertz or whatever. They get a fine.
They look at who had the car.
Oh, it was Jam25Mackspeedy. Charge his card (it's probably in the terms that they can just do it.)
Done.

No?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Talk to me about the speed camera one.
Surely if your hire car gets flashed, the fine is put into the database, it pops up with Thrifty or Hertz or whatever. They get a fine.
They look at who had the car.
Oh, it was Jam25Mackspeedy. Charge his card (it's probably in the terms that they can just do it.)
Done.

No?
Dunno how it doesn't if I'm honest. I just know I've never had one speeding fine when driving a hire car in the UK on a UAE licence, and I generally end up driving all over when I am back (Norfolk, Wales, Scotland etc) and have seen a flash on more than one occasion. A ticket for driving in a bus lane did however get charged to my credit card last year. Maybe this is because one is a criminal charge and comprises a fine, a punishment and gives you the chance for your day in court, where as the other is just a fine.... I haven't the foggiest. Maybe in X years time when I return I will get hit with all of them at once.... who knows!

You're right tho, you do always sign to accept any fines levied against you.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Dunno how it doesn't if I'm honest. I just know I've never had one speeding fine when driving a hire car in the UK on a UAE licence, and I generally end up driving all over when I am back (Norfolk, Wales, Scotland etc) and have seen a flash on more than one occasion. A ticket for driving in a bus lane did however get charged to my credit card last year. Maybe this is because one is a criminal charge and comprises a fine, a punishment and gives you the chance for your day in court, where as the other is just a fine.... I haven't the foggiest. Maybe in X years time when I return I will get hit with all of them at once.... who knows!

You're right tho, you do always sign to accept any fines levied against you.
**** it.

I'm gonna go through one and see what happens. End of this month I go back.

Split the £60 with me?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

**** it.

I'm gonna go through one and see what happens. End of this month I go back.

Split the £60 with me?
Ha ha, no chance. I got 4 here last month. The roadworks on the Kalba road are killing me. I wasn't even doing 100 the other day and it flashed me.....
Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Ha ha, no chance. I got 4 here last month. The roadworks on the Kalba road are killing me. I wasn't even doing 100 the other day and it flashed me.....
Wow.
You've got a heavy foot.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow.
You've got a heavy foot.
Not really. I do quite a lot of KM a month tho.

These ones on Kalba Road are starting to kill me though as it says 100 and I'm 100% sure I was doing like 95 when it went off the other day..... and I have zero chance of successfully disputing it, especially as its on a hire car who just pay it straight off and whack it on my bill. Its got to the point I'm even considering going the long way round. 25 mins extra is better than 800 AED in tickets.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have received fines at times when I am positive that I was not exceeding the limit.

I have often wondered, how the cameras work, and I wonder if some guy just gets a photograph and then randomly chooses which car is the one that is speeding.

I have had speeding infringements in Australia while driving in a hire car on a UAE licence, that resulted in points put on my Australian licence (but not my UAE one). I imagine they keep a record of names and the system pings that way, but that the UAE system and the various Western ones are not connected.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Not really. I do quite a lot of KM a month tho.

These ones on Kalba Road are starting to kill me though as it says 100 and I'm 100% sure I was doing like 95 when it went off the other day..... and I have zero chance of successfully disputing it, especially as its on a hire car who just pay it straight off and whack it on my bill. Its got to the point I'm even considering going the long way round. 25 mins extra is better than 800 AED in tickets.
Fair enough. I hate those dodgy ones. Not been on the wrong end of any / many though I don't think. Mine are truly deserved and earned.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough. I hate those dodgy ones. Not been on the wrong end of any / many though I don't think. Mine are truly deserved and earned.
Same here for some of them.... Many years ago I managed to accrue 24 points in a little over 2 weeks. Thankfully I managed to give away 12 of them so I wasn't on a ban.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:22 am
Account Closed

Same here for some of them.... Many years ago I managed to accrue 24 points in a little over 2 weeks. Thankfully I managed to give away 12 of them so I wasn't on a ban.
The Mrs got her car impounded for jumping a red light at 5am.

When I say impounded, I mean they say it had to be, she looked it up and I paid the 100 dirham a day fine to not have it impounded.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

the beauty of driving in the UK on a UAE license with a hire car is, yes you (can) get the fine, but no, you don't get the points.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The Mrs got her car impounded for jumping a red light at 5am.

When I say impounded, I mean they say it had to be, she looked it up and I paid the 100 dirham a day fine to not have it impounded.
I took the hit. I had one hire car impounded in Fujairah and another in RAK and obviously one for me to use. So 3 hire cars for the month plus the 1000 fine for each incident made it an expensive month. 12 points were donated to a mate who was leaving so at least I kept my licence. If I remember rightly the points dropped off at the end of the year too, not after a year.

Haven't had a point since.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
the beauty of driving in the UK on a UAE license with a hire car is, yes you (can) get the fine, but no, you don't get the points.
I got caught in Cumbria, hire car on UAE licence - hire company forwarded the documents to me I wrote to Cumbria Police and they couldn't be arsed to do anything and let me off, no fine, no points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.