British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   convert foreign driver's license in abu dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/convert-foreign-drivers-license-abu-dhabi-689543/)

clodytz Oct 14th 2010 12:33 pm

convert foreign driver's license in abu dhabi

I have a particular question: passport of a EU country and driver's license issued in another EU country, both on the list of countries exempt from exam in the UAE.

It is possible to convert my license easily in this case in Abu Dhabi?

Did you go through smth like this?

Thanks

busybee2 Oct 14th 2010 12:40 pm

Re: convert foreign driver's license in abu dhabi

Originally Posted by clodytz (Post 8917893)
I have a particular question: passport of a EU country and driver's license issued in another EU country, both on the list of countries exempt from exam in the UAE.

It is possible to convert my license easily in this case in Abu Dhabi?

Did you go through smth like this?

Thanks

normally you have to have matching documents, ie passport and licence same same, but i think they have relaxed this rule a little, but will depend on who you see on the day. try it and see

Oyibopeppeh Oct 14th 2010 1:23 pm

A Brit colleague of mine was able to transfer his KSA license without a problem.

Brains1983 Oct 14th 2010 1:26 pm

Per bb2, I think strictly speaking they should both be from same european country, but it depends (like EVERYTHING else here) on who you talk to. My wife exchanged a brit license but holds a german passport without any probs. If you get knocked back, just pick another number and hope you get someone else.

clodytz Oct 14th 2010 2:13 pm

great, that gives me some hope :)

bs69 Oct 15th 2010 8:21 am

Hi there, I am very new to this site and finding may way around so please take it easy.

I will be moving to abu Dhabi from London at end of Dec. I understand I can convert my Brit license in abu dhabi but can i bring my car from UK to Abu Dahbi. It is only 1 year old but right hand drive (as most/all of the uk cars are) and is american dodge.

thanks

busybee2 Oct 15th 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bs69 (Post 8919757)
Hi there, I am very new to this site and finding may way around so please take it easy.

I will be moving to abu Dhabi from London at end of Dec. I understand I can convert my Brit license in abu dhabi but can i bring my car from UK to Abu Dahbi. It is only 1 year old but right hand drive (as most/all of the uk cars are) and is american dodge.

thanks

no they do not allow right hand cars. yes you can exchange licence, but you should have same passport/licence.

Oyibopeppeh Oct 23rd 2010 5:38 am

My wife has both UK & Nigerian licenses but only a Nigerian passport...will this work for a UAE license?

busybee2 Oct 23rd 2010 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8937094)
My wife has both UK & Nigerian licenses but only a Nigerian passport...will this work for a UAE license?

nope theywant the same, uk and uk but worth a try, sometimes they are not pushing the same