Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Conversion of driving license

Conversion of driving license

Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Nadine86 has a spectacular aura aboutNadine86 has a spectacular aura aboutNadine86 has a spectacular aura about
Default Conversion of driving license

Hi does anyone know what I will need to convert my UK driving license into the UAE one now that I have my work visa?

Is it true that I need to get my license translated into arabic?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice
Default Re: Conversion of driving license

Hi Nadine,

My undersatnding is that you must be at least 18 years old, have a valid driver's license from the UK and have a residency visa.

You will need to fill in the driver's license form and take a couple of passport size photograph.

Take your original passport and a photocopy (I've been advised to take photocopies of EVERYTHING as you need them for almost everything!).

Take your original driver's license and again, a photocopy.

I'm not sure (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but I think you need to take an eye test and take the report with you along with some Dhs (not sure how much, 100-200?).

Apparently if your license is in English or Arabic it is OK, but any other language must be translated. It is inexpensive to get thigns translated so you might want to take an Arabic version just in case.

Don't think you need an NOC.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nadine,
Amnesia has pretty much nailed it. If you are Dubai you can go to the RTA office near MOE and pick up a form. Then fill it in and return with your eye test certificate (go to an optician in MOE about 25 Dhr you will need a photo). Then take that with you UK llicence, passport with residency visa in and photocopies of licence and residency visa, plus more photos.
On entry go to counter inside door, present docs, get a numbered ticket. Go to the counter when they call your number. After that wait around a bit until they call your number at the photo room at the end of the hall. Get photo taken, then wait around again until you go back into the photo room to pick up your licence. Job done in about 15mins.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nadine86
Hi does anyone know what I will need to convert my UK driving license into the UAE one now that I have my work visa?

Is it true that I need to get my license translated into arabic?
Yes - you will need a verified copy of a translation of your licence.

The eye test is Dh20, and the licence is Dh200. They have EFT machines there, but they are "out of service" and you will have to pay with cash.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amnesia180
Hi Nadine,

I'm not sure (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but I think you need to take an eye test and take the report with you along with some Dhs (not sure how much, 100-200?).

Apparently if your license is in English or Arabic it is OK, but any other language must be translated. It is inexpensive to get thigns translated so you might want to take an Arabic version just in case.

Don't think you need an NOC.
Not quite right. Licence needs to be translated and verified.
NOC is required.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spart
NOC is required.
Thanks, Spart. Tried editing the original post, looks like I can't.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

According to my Dubai Red Tape guide you need to do the following (which is probably similar for AD):

What to bring
Passport (Original and copy)
Residence Permit (Copy)
Current Driving Licence (Original and copy)
2 x passport photographs
Eye test certificate (Get this the week that you apply for a UAE licence, if there is too much time in between they won't accept it - go to your local optician for this)
Driving licence application form in Arabic (typed or handwritten - you get this done there)

According to Dubai Red Tape, you do not need to get your licence translated into Arabic because you are from the UK.

Procedure
Collect the driving licence application form from any police station
Have the form typed in Arabic at the typing office
Submit all the documents at the control counter
The officer will process the paperwork
Take the documents to the cashier and pay the required fee
Women can go to the Ladies Section to submit the documents and the receipt
Wait for your name to be called for your photograph to be taken
Your licence will be ready in 5-10 minutes

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Aug 13th 2009 at 3:11 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
NOC is required.
Not completely true, when I did it in Dubai (although it is a Dutch license I don't see the difference, as the main language is Dutch and English is only readable in the fine print), I did not need a translation (when you check the RTA/Police/Government/whatever website it says that the translation is only for certain nationalities, I'm quite certain that Brits aren't mentioned). I did not have to fill in the form in Arabic nor did I have a translation made of the English version.

Follow the steps on this website and you'll have no problems. One note, in November last year it was 110 Dhs and because I was the first one in at 7.30, nobody had any change. I was out in 10 minutes.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, sorry, I wasn't paying attention and saw just now that you where asking about abedabs. Nevermind.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

In Dubai a hand written form in english is accepted.
But not sure about elsewhere.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i got my licence over 10 years ago, but just recently had to redo it so if it hasnt changed (which i doubt) in ad if your licence is in english then there is no need to translate. go to the driving licence building part of muroor traffic dept. first of all you go to the desk, as a lady you go to the right and jump the q get a number then you have to have an eye test (20dhs) then when finished go back to desk, get another number, then wait to do your documents, you will need a noc, they do have a proforma behind the desk (but they will not volunteer this) which is in arabic (as to be in arabic) and you just fill in the missing bits, your spouse (if you are a housewife) needs to sign it etc. give over your documents, then you need to go back to next door to the eye room, they will call your name, then they will take your piccie and then wait and they will give you your new driving licence. a woman will maybe take 1 hour (if a little busy) but a man much longer although its so much easier and quicker than when i had to do it first time round, they required you to give blood which wasnt in the same building and it took 2 days for the whole procedure etc.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

This seems fairly comprehensive

http://www.expatforum.com/blog/dubai...-in-dubai.html
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got the missus' licence done and it was very easy.
Sure someone on here will tell I did it wrong BUT she now has a licence for 10 years.
I got it translated for 60AED from one of the many places on Hamdam Street.
She then took it to the Police and they asked a couple of questions, had a look at her passport (with visa page etc) and then sent her to another room where they took her picture and then 15mins later gave her her new UAE licence.
Give us a shout if your struggling and the missus will help you out.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:13 am
Just Joined

romano-dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, very useful info, what passport does your missus hold?
i got british license but my passport is not, and i called to enquire if i can just convert it, they said not, i have to take classes and tests
that really s--ks, i mean how does passport affect driving skills of license holder
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by romano-dubai
Hi, very useful info, what passport does your missus hold?
i got british license but my passport is not, and i called to enquire if i can just convert it, they said not, i have to take classes and tests
that really s--ks, i mean how does passport affect driving skills of license holder
Judging from what you see on the roads here, I'd say quite a lot...

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.