British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   construction zone... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/construction-zone-550752/)

the big nowhere Jul 23rd 2008 1:52 pm

construction zone...

now decision time is closing in...dubai,vancouver,sydney....wife is keen on dubai,what worries me is the non stop construction.....is it 'buzzing' in your ears all day ? is there a pollution issue with the traffic both construction and domestic ? are there any residential area's that are construction free ?

cheers.

Madam Medusa Jul 23rd 2008 1:54 pm

Re: construction zone...

there is loads of construction, and no area, as far as i'm aware, is construction free...it doesn't bother me, but then to be fair, i haven't got construction going on directly next to me...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2008 2:20 pm

the Lakes is pretty quiet as is the Ranches, parts of the Springs and Meadows are being affected by the new road being built but it isn't construction noise, just new road laying. Al Barsha is pretty noisy :(

Spugsy Jul 24th 2008 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6601900)
now decision time is closing in...dubai,vancouver,sydney....wife is keen on dubai,what worries me is the non stop construction.....is it 'buzzing' in your ears all day ? is there a pollution issue with the traffic both construction and domestic ? are there any residential area's that are construction free ?

cheers.

nah its fine mate, a bit of dust and sand but nowt bad really.

where you from then? We're planning Sydney I reckon in 3 years, love it there.

the big nowhere Jul 24th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6605828)
nah its fine mate, a bit of dust and sand but nowt bad really.

where you from then? We're planning Sydney I reckon in 3 years, love it there.

...we are english but have lived canada,nz and aussie.......sydney is beautiful..but very busy......

niddy Jul 24th 2008 4:08 pm

All things being equal, I'd do Vancouver especially if you like diversity and experiencing the outdoors.

MacScot Jul 24th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6601900)

cheers.

What about Melbin ?

Spent 23 years in Melbourne...much nicer, greener and friendlier than busy Sydney (visiting Sydneysiders often say so !!). Like Vancouver, Melbourne has been voted twice as the world's most livable city. :)