Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Construction Opportunities

Construction Opportunities

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction Opportunities

Abu Dhabi is not immune either - portions of the major projects have been sold off and are therefore being funded by external, non-Abu Dhabi money. If nobody wants to buy the resulting units (and they're not buying right now) then the whole house of cards collapses, just as it is in Dubai.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:58 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

I am hearing that there is a hold on a things housing in Dubai but the commercial market is still going and I was talking to Commercial Director of one of the big companies who are working on some police projects who was telling me he as just negotiated the next 2 phases of the project and will take them through to 2013, the 1st phase not finishing until Jun 2010.

so there seems to be some work there and lots of people who do not work in the industry and some who do and don't really know, like to make comment mostly wrong but sometimes correct, you need to extract what you need and use what you want.

At the level you are looking at going in at in at i.e CM or SCM you must know people who are working over there, so ask them their opinion also!

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Abu Dhabi is not immune either - portions of the major projects have been sold off and are therefore being funded by external, non-Abu Dhabi money. If nobody wants to buy the resulting units (and they're not buying right now) then the whole house of cards collapses, just as it is in Dubai.

I tend to disagree, the end user market in Abu Dhabi is simply to strong..Those units will fly as soon as they are built.

And what parts have been sold off and to whom?..Just curious as the Al-Nahyans are seldom inviting others to play on their ground.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:30 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrypic

The nice days of salary, tax free plus accomadation, schooling, car, living allowance have gone - too much competition from further east.

Marc
thats a bit of a general statement surely.

I know literally dozens upon dozens of construction guys on the full *featherbed packages*

They are getting less and less common though i agree, because of competition. Lets be honest, you dont really have to be that sharp to work as a site construction manager...

I mean, they let Ozzies do it FFS and they in general are mega dense.

Its like the oil industry in the North of Scotland- flunk at school=get a job offshore as a roustabout.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:47 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
I tend to disagree, the end user market in Abu Dhabi is simply to strong..Those units will fly as soon as they are built.

And what parts have been sold off and to whom?..Just curious as the Al-Nahyans are seldom inviting others to play on their ground.

Second that.Ronnie B care to namedrop?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eva
The only thing I heard of is that a Kuwaity company called Mayadeen is involved in the Aurora project on Al Reem...But it´s hardly a major project, 1.5bn Dirhams or so.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Richard_T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theduke
I am hearing that there is a hold on a things housing in Dubai but the commercial market is still going and I was talking to Commercial Director of one of the big companies who are working on some police projects who was telling me he as just negotiated the next 2 phases of the project and will take them through to 2013, the 1st phase not finishing until Jun 2010.

so there seems to be some work there and lots of people who do not work in the industry and some who do and don't really know, like to make comment mostly wrong but sometimes correct, you need to extract what you need and use what you want.

At the level you are looking at going in at in at i.e CM or SCM you must know people who are working over there, so ask them their opinion also!

Good luck whatever you decide.

I am clean out of contacts in the UAE. I have a couple of contacts in Qatar but they are working for a PQS [and all seems to be well there.....as an aside]. Unfortunately I have had to go it alone, finding out as much as I can for myself, and I am doing o.k. the problem is you can find out too much can't you!

I am due a call from my friendly recruiter in the next day or so, so we'll see what 'gems' he comes up with.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:12 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
thats a bit of a general statement surely.

I know literally dozens upon dozens of construction guys on the full *featherbed packages*

They are getting less and less common though i agree, because of competition. Lets be honest, you dont really have to be that sharp to work as a site construction manager...

I mean, they let Ozzies do it FFS and they in general are mega dense.

Its like the oil industry in the North of Scotland- flunk at school=get a job offshore as a roustabout.
I am going to accept the fact that this was not a sideways swipe at good ole TGFKASE!! As it happens, I never worked North Sea, and certainly not as a roustie. Straight to service companies where you get a nice unit to sit in and watch movies all day!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:18 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Defo not a swipe at you mate, I'm a service hand also, and still work for a service company.

Having worked the north sea, I've met some real boneheads.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Defo not a swipe at you mate, I'm a service hand also, and still work for a service company.

Having worked the north sea, I've met some real boneheads.
Every time Im home, some aging OIM's I know keep asking me what it would take to join them and fill the gap.. It would appear that North Sea is currently suffering from a major skills shortage and you either have 20-something boneheads who do their 2 weeks to save up enough money to get blasted on their fortnight off, or you've got the 50-somethings who missed the boat when everyone else raised 2 fingers and f;cked off to warmer climes....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:27 am
banned

Correct. My mate is an OIM offshore in oz

His first OIM job in the north sea he was 33yo.

He has a marine background, not a drilling or platform...

That would never have happened years ago.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Al Raha Beach. Aldar sold of off some of the sub-projects and the developers are now looking at pulling out rather than risk this market. There is currently a recruitment freeze at Laing O'Rourke which for a project of that size is amazing....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Correct. My mate is an OIM offshore in oz

His first OIM job in the north sea he was 33yo.

He has a marine background, not a drilling or platform...

That would never have happened years ago.
Just as I was leaving Saudi, Aramco were hiring Egyptian mud engineers with less than 5 years exp as Co men!!! Had to laugh when one of them tried to tell me he could DD the well better than I.. I just handed him the surveys and told him to crack on... Walked back to the unit and ignored the calls from the rig floor.... Finally came barging into the unit where I left him in no doubt as to what input I required from him and that, if I needed him, Id call him......
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:43 am
banned

Sounds familiar...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Al Raha Beach. Aldar sold of off some of the sub-projects and the developers are now looking at pulling out rather than risk this market. There is currently a recruitment freeze at Laing O'Rourke which for a project of that size is amazing....
Isn't that the job for which no signed contract exists? The fact that LoR are not recruiting may have more to do with the fact that they will no longer be getting the work rather than the work will no longer be done.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.