Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Construction Opportunities

Construction Opportunities

Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Richard_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction Opportunities

I have been tracking the construction markets over the past few months, looking at the potential of seeking employment in the UAE at some point. Obviously with things haven taken a bit of a downturn the opportunities in Dubai atleast have fallen away. I would probably have been looking at a post as a Commercial or Senior Commercial Manager, more than likely on the Contracting side, and probably in Abu Dhabi, but I am wary of what might be to follow there over the next few months. I am lucky, in that I have a relatively secure post here in the UK and I wouldnt want to give that up and move if there was a degree of uncertainty attached to it.

Another question is that of supply and demand, what is / will happen to salaries & packages as the number of applicants increases?

I have been discussing things with a couple of recruiters [one in the UAE and one in the UK] but is there any advice from someone there already?

A leap of faith, or sit tight?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction Opportunities

What did the recruitment agencies tell you ?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

They have said that Dubai was really a no go at the moment but things were still happening in Abu Dhabi. I am mindful of how quickly things in Dubai have taken a tumble, and whether Abu Dhabi will be the same.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

harrypic is an unknown quantity at this point

All the big Dubai construction projects like waterfront, new tallest, world, universe etc etc are all committed to going ahead - but your other point is very valid, there will be more applicants as construction opportunities dry up elsewhere and more people look to here to pay their mortgages - so the result will be dont expect old style expat packages, they dont exist any more - you'll probably get what your paid in uk, but tax free, but that tax saving will be taken up in accomadation and living costs.

The nice days of salary, tax free plus accomadation, schooling, car, living allowance have gone - too much competition from further east.

Marc
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Richard_T
They have said that Dubai was really a no go at the moment but things were still happening in Abu Dhabi. I am mindful of how quickly things in Dubai have taken a tumble, and whether Abu Dhabi will be the same.
They are correct, Dubai is being hit but Abu Dhabi are still steaming ahead, the fact that Abu Dhabi is very Oil rich with huge wealth funds is of course a factor.
Abu Dhabi might in some cases see a modest slow down but as all the major developers are controled by the ruling family who can dip into enormous cash reserves if needed I expect things to be "business as usual" for the coming five years at least.
Abu Dhabi have based their budget around a $38 Oil price and unless it dips below that for several years there is no recession around the corner, this will of course benefit the other emirates..most notably Dubai we can presume.

Being rather out of fashion in todays world Abu Dhabi lacks huge government debts, or even small ones really meaning that they got a lot of freedom to act as they choose..
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrypic
All the big Dubai construction projects like waterfront, new tallest, world, universe etc etc are all committed to going ahead -
They may be "committed to going ahead" but the reality is they're not going ahead....
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your assistance all, I will continue to have my tentative discussions with the recruiters and see where we go with it.

Has anybody got any experience of reputable employers in Abu Dhabi, I know most of the major UK players [e.g. Laing O Rourke] are established there but my knowledge of UAE companies is limited, and therefore I am unsure of which would be my best option in terms of conditions & benefits.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
They may be "committed to going ahead" but the reality is they're not going ahead....

yes exactly, i was going to make the same point, a certain big developer in dubai have just suspended one of the largest developments in dubai, so even if they have started on these developments, they may not get finished. abu dhabi is not in the same boat, but of course most consultants/contractors will have projects both in abu dhabi and dubai, so the people that no longer have work in dubai will now all move down to abu dhabi work etc, so the prospects for any newbies may not be that good, a lot of the big companies also have got rid of a lot of people and its the rules "last in first out" so i wouldnt want to be giving up a secure job in the uk, to come to a very insecure construction market here at the moment.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard that lor have problems and some of the newbies are now looking for jobs elsewhere.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

LOR are one of the companies that 'appear' to be advertising, which is not a surprise if people are leaving.

Not overly positive then by all accounts, maybe I had better sit tight for a bit. Shame really I quite fancied a stint, timing is obviously not my strong point.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richard_T
LOR are one of the companies that 'appear' to be advertising, which is not a surprise if people are leaving.

Not overly positive then by all accounts, maybe I had better sit tight for a bit. Shame really I quite fancied a stint, timing is obviously not my strong point.
I finish with a UK contractor here in Dubai at the end of this month, moving into the oil sector. There is plenty of work out there, LOR in particular are recruiting for Saudi, plus a mate works for a contractor recruiting heavily for Libya. Personal recomendation though, would be not to venture into Dubai until the dust settles. Loads of speculation at the moment in terms of developments on hold, some of which I know are correct. PM if you want further details for Libya and Saudi
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
i have heard that lor have problems and some of the newbies are now looking for jobs elsewhere.
That might be because they failed their 3 month probation period.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soukie
That might be because they failed their 3 month probation period.

No. LoR appear to be in difficulties in both Dubai (no money so no work) and AD (pi55ed a few people off). Word is that jobs will be lost with the newbies first in line. Some long term staff in Dubai have been told they can move to AD so will be taking jobs of those with less standing in AD. Hence newbies are frantically looking elsewhere (preferrably for a company that pays in Dhs).
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no lor nothing to do with probation, heard the same about 'problems' here in ad. they brought people over urgently, and now there is no job for them to do etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:31 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
no lor nothing to do with probation, heard the same about 'problems' here in ad. they brought people over urgently, and now there is no job for them to do etc.
and LOR are not the only contractor in the same position!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.