British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Construction materials in Bahrain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/construction-materials-bahrain-645055/)

markjmcsorley Dec 16th 2009 12:43 pm

Construction materials in Bahrain

Hi,
I am currently working in Belfast and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I am starting a construction project in Bahrain early 2010, and need to sources prices of constuction materials like timber/block and concrete ect. I was wondering if anybody that is currently working in construction over there could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time

Mark

co durham boy Dec 17th 2009 3:14 am

Re: Construction materials in Bahrain

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley (Post 8177138)
Hi,
I am currently working in Belfast and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I am starting a construction project in Bahrain early 2010, and need to sources prices of constuction materials like timber/block and concrete ect. I was wondering if anybody that is currently working in construction over there could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time

Mark

wait until you get there,find your feet and get your procurement guy to get you a list of suppliers and their prices.
theres a million different firms with a million different prices for a million different nationalities.
market price for all of the above has dropped a lot especially in dubai can't comment on bahrain but it will not be too far away.

Sandboy Dec 17th 2009 5:37 pm

might be a bit different in Bahrain with KSA restricting cement etc

who you working for Co Durham Boy, you might owe me money :frown:

Eva Dec 17th 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley (Post 8177138)
Hi,

Thanks for your time

Mark

When did you sign contract? Audit trail and make sure company is paying especially if you sub con before you lay out for materials.
Don't rely on Contract Law or Labour Law.The comments of Sandboy and Co Dur boy are more real than comedy.
Tread carefully.

co durham boy Dec 18th 2009 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8180795)
might be a bit different in Bahrain with KSA restricting cement etc

who you working for Co Durham Boy, you might owe me money :frown:

you probably owe us money, as well as the R.T.A. , D.C.A , DP WORLD and a host of other mickey mouse operators.
im working for a concrete company thats part of a major contracting group , pretty grim at the moment.
you can tender and win work but theres a massive possibility that you will just not get paid as you are well aware of mate.:thumbdown:

Sandboy Dec 18th 2009 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 8181958)
you probably owe us money, as well as the R.T.A. , D.C.A , DP WORLD and a host of other mickey mouse operators.
im working for a concrete company thats part of a major contracting group , pretty grim at the moment.
you can tender and win work but theres a massive possibility that you will just not get paid as you are well aware of mate.:thumbdown:

I work for a concrete company anarl :blink:

co durham boy Dec 19th 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8182967)
I work for a concrete company anarl :blink:

ha ha , so your in the same sinking boat as me then, up shit creek without a paddle, i've got more plant stood up than a pikey's scrapyard !!

Sandboy Dec 19th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 8184768)
ha ha , so your in the same sinking boat as me then, up shit creek without a paddle, i've got more plant stood up than a pikey's scrapyard !!

not as bad as it could be tbh, got shot to Saudi and Oman.

Got any plants spare ?

co durham boy Dec 19th 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8184852)
not as bad as it could be tbh, got shot to Saudi and Oman.

Got any plants spare ?

iv got 2 ELBA'S stood up at the moment, a 180m3 per hour and a 130m3 per hour.
looking for a small ice plant/chiller for a 60m3 plant,been quoted silly prices from K.T.I and SNOWKEY,would rather try and source a decent used one but the ones iv looked at have been wrecked as per usual.

markjmcsorley Jan 8th 2010 10:39 am

Heading over there on Monday for a few days, can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to transport/accomidation- is it a safe place?