Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Construction Jobs in Dubai

Construction Jobs in Dubai

Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:54 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction Jobs in Dubai

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I resent that comment!
I know.

The truth hurts!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:42 pm
W10

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I think Dubai is expensive by Middle East standards, but we find it far cheaper than London.
Dubai is the 25th most expensive city in the world, next year it will be much higher up in the list. This is mostly due to property costs and hidden taxes.

Is it the 25th most desirable place to live in? That's another argument.

Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:10 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

From our experience Dubai is cheaper than London, and a far better place to live.

As for next year, it's anyone's guess.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:08 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
From our experience Dubai is cheaper than London, and a far better place to live.

As for next year, it's anyone's guess.
Yeah. Landan's full of fackin foreigners, innit?

Hang on...
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:22 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Yeah. Landan's full of fackin foreigners, innit?

Hang on...
OOiiii Chav, you takin tha faahhkin pisss Aaht of laahdanas???

Chaaaaant!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future

I'm back. Not the QS, but the wife.

Is the traffic really that bad in Dubai? Is SZR really a death drap as people describe it? I am used to London traffic - but can it be worse than London?! I would be ferrying the 2 kids back and forth everywhere so I don't want to be chased and mowed down by every 4x4 on the road.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:38 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is worse than London.

You get used to the driving quickly. When you first move it will seem crazy on SZR. When someone flashes and behaves like a complete nutter I tend to move over .. just not worth the aggro. I had a recent experience of some nutter tail-gating me on SZR and I could not move over. He undercut me and then decided to brake sharply (my punishment for not moving!) once he got in front of me. Luckily for him I did not bang in to him. He had a tiny little car and I was in a 4x4 so he would have come off a lot worse but did not seem to care.

I find all the other other roads fine apart from people that don't bother to look at junctions and some nutters that reverse around roundabouts cos they missed their exit!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:47 am
W10

Originally Posted by mollymalone
I'm back. Not the QS, but the wife.

Is the traffic really that bad in Dubai? Is SZR really a death drap as people describe it? I am used to London traffic - but can it be worse than London?! I would be ferrying the 2 kids back and forth everywhere so I don't want to be chased and mowed down by every 4x4 on the road.
The UAE has the third highest death rate on the roads in the world. I think Saudi and Oman are one and two.

Dubai traffic is far worse than in London in every single way imaginable.

Worse traffic jams, worse driving, more accidents, more people dying, more people seriously injured, very little enforcing of rules...

I decided to go and watch one of the football games the other night...it took me 1 hour 30 minutes to get over the creek from trade centre...around 5km. My friends who live in that direction tell me that is normal.

Last edited by W10; Jan 12th 2007 at 9:49 am.

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

james@energi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mollymalone
I have been researching on-and-off for the last year about a move to Dubai. Is it getting that difficult for us to get a good salary package nowadays? I have heard different takes on it, saying that companies are no longer offering great packages..... but on the other hand have read some people are earning a good salary still in Dubai. I also read that some companies are moving to a 5 day working week with 2 full day weekends of Sat/Sun. This comment was made by someone working in the construction industry.

Is it going to be VERY difficult to get a good salary + accommodation + car + flights + health AND do a 5 day week in Dubai?? Am I asking for TOO much nowadays?

FYI --- I'm a Senior Quantity Surveyor with 8+ years experience. Degree qualified.

I would like to hear some views on this from people who work out there in the construction industry, or know of people. Any help and advice appreciated!

Hi Molly Malone,

I work for a company based in the UK called Energi Recruitment.

Your salary will purely be dependent on your experience, qualifications etc.

Alot of companies in Dubai tend to pay an "all in" package nowadays instead of the traditional expat packages thta used to exist.

In answer to your question, some of the Contractors I deal with are moving or have already moved to a 5 day working week.

I deal with all of the large M&E Contractors and QS Consultants in the Middle East, if you are interested, please forward me a copy of your CV and we can have a chat - <<snip -pm instead>>

Thanks

James

Last edited by Bob; Jan 23rd 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james@energi
Hi Molly Malone,

I work for a company based in the UK called Energi Recruitment.

Your salary will purely be dependent on your experience, qualifications etc.

Alot of companies in Dubai tend to pay an "all in" package nowadays instead of the traditional expat packages thta used to exist.

In answer to your question, some of the Contractors I deal with are moving or have already moved to a 5 day working week.

I deal with all of the large M&E Contractors and QS Consultants in the Middle East, if you are interested, please forward me a copy of your CV and we can have a chat...

I'll be generous and not ban you for spamming, but this isn't a forum for you to tout your business, you could ask to be a sponsor or pay for banner advertising.

Offering to help people out is certainly one thing, but don't be blantant and spam like you have been.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

DavieQuinn is an unknown quantity at this point

The packages aren't as good as they used to be about 5 or 10 years ago, but I think you can still make better money than if you were taxed in the UK!!
You should try a company called Dods Caplan in London. All they do is place construction peeps into the Middle East. Their website doesn't really list jobs, but you should contact them. Their web address is www.dods-caplan.com
Good luck!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavieQuinn
The packages aren't as good as they used to be about 5 or 10 years ago, but I think you can still make better money than if you were taxed in the UK!!
You should try a company called Dods Caplan in London. All they do is place construction peeps into the Middle East. Their website doesn't really list jobs, but you should contact them. Their web address is www.dods-caplan.com
Good luck!
Not related to the company are you by any chance?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not related to the company are you by any chance?
oh you old skeptic you, Bob...!!

MM, xx
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:56 pm
Banned

Sheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to allSheikh Zayed Road is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Yes, it is worse than London.

You get used to the driving quickly. When you first move it will seem crazy on SZR. When someone flashes and behaves like a complete nutter I tend to move over .. just not worth the aggro. I had a recent experience of some nutter tail-gating me on SZR and I could not move over. He undercut me and then decided to brake sharply (my punishment for not moving!) once he got in front of me. Luckily for him I did not bang in to him. He had a tiny little car and I was in a 4x4 so he would have come off a lot worse but did not seem to care.

I find all the other other roads fine apart from people that don't bother to look at junctions and some nutters that reverse around roundabouts cos they missed their exit!!

Young lady-Would you possibly be interested in joining the Sheikh Zayed Road Safety Committee?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheikh Zayed Road
Young lady-Would you possibly be interested in joining the Sheikh Zayed Road Safety Committee?
Mr Road,

Even when you are being nice you sound patronising...........

I imagine joining your committee would be Miss Eck's second preference.

Her first preference would be to be struck by lightning while holding a metal object and standing in a puddle ..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.