Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Construction in Bahrain

Construction in Bahrain

Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Everdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction in Bahrain

My girlfriend is hoping to move to Bahrain to work as a teacher. She has asked me to go with her - I currently work as a technical manager for one of the UK's largest housing developers. The market in the UK has been hit quite hard by the financial downturn and I'm wondering a)are there jobs in a comparative sector in Bahrain and b)how is Bahrain being affected by the current financial situation?
I'm obviously worried about giving up a good job here and not being able to get one there. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction in Bahrain

Originally Posted by Everdon
My girlfriend is hoping to move to Bahrain to work as a teacher. She has asked me to go with her - I currently work as a technical manager for one of the UK's largest housing developers. The market in the UK has been hit quite hard by the financial downturn and I'm wondering a)are there jobs in a comparative sector in Bahrain and b)how is Bahrain being affected by the current financial situation?
I'm obviously worried about giving up a good job here and not being able to get one there. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi Everdon,

Most of the region has managed to escape the ravages of the slowdown, Dubai being the main exception. For example, the banks haven't lost much on the mortgage meltdowns, mainly because (internationally speaking) they are not as active in that field as some of the international banks in other financial centres.

Not sure about vacancies in your particular line of work, but your girlfriend should have no trouble in finding something. Point to note - officially in most GCC countries unmarried couples are not allowed to live together, but many do, and landlords who want your money don't usually bother about it.

And I'm assuming it would not be too difficult to hang on to your present job until you know for sure if you can get something here?

Do it - Bahrain is a delightful island. It's small enough to be intimate but it's never claustrophobic, and if you want a social life with other expats you'll find it easily enough, but nobody seems to tread on anyone's toes.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:12 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Construction in Bahrain

check the expat women.com website Bahrain. Someone looking for expat in construction line.