Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Saudi Arabia, Jeddah

Considering move to Saudi Arabia, Jeddah

Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

kat1829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering move to Saudi Arabia, Jeddah

Hi - after some advice please. i am looking for jobs in Saudi Arabia but after some advice on whether this is a good move or not. I would be coming on my own (30 year old girl) - is this a good idea or would it not work unless you know somebody?
How easy is it to meet other English people?

I am really looking for a change away from UK for a couple of years and here really appeals to me.

Any other advice you can give such as Cost of living etc that would be great?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:32 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Considering move to Saudi Arabia, Jeddah

Originally Posted by kat1829
Hi - after some advice please. i am looking for jobs in Saudi Arabia but after some advice on whether this is a good move or not. I would be coming on my own (30 year old girl) - is this a good idea or would it not work unless you know somebody?
How easy is it to meet other English people?

I am really looking for a change away from UK for a couple of years and here really appeals to me.

Any other advice you can give such as Cost of living etc that would be great?
Welcome to the bored.

Why Saudi?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly appeals to you about KSA?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Honest answer is I really don't know. I have looked at some job sites and there seems to be more positions available there or Dubai and i think I prefer somewhere with a bit more history/ culture than Dubai.

Open to recommendations of other locations?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai, Dubai, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Sharjah, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait. ****, even Iraq. Unless you're on a compound with other westerners (presumably they exist in Jeddah), or you're seriously weird.

What do you do?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Honest answer is I really don't know. I have looked at some job sites and there seems to be more positions available there or Dubai and i think I prefer somewhere with a bit more history/ culture than Dubai.

Try Turkey instead.
And PLEASE, do yourself a BIG favour, research Saudi.
If you are after local culture and all that, Saudi is NOT the place for you.
Unless you are after local expat culture....
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Really so you wouldn't recommend Saudi then?

I work in Human Resources/ Recruitment. Want to stay in this role just after a change of location that will be a real challenge.

I think when looked at Jeddah they do have compounds - think one is called Arabian homes.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though at 30, you're not a girl.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

I will check out some of these other places. Glad i joined this as I am really only just starting to look seriously so its good to get some advice before I make any rash decisions.
Thanks guys
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Really so you wouldn't recommend Saudi then?

I work in Human Resources/ Recruitment. Want to stay in this role just after a change of location that will be a real challenge.

I think when looked at Jeddah they do have compounds - think one is called Arabian homes.
It all depends on what you are looking for /expecting.
If it is culture and history, then no, I would not recommend Saudi.
If you go for the money, and will be paid VERY well, given housing by the company on a Western compound, then yes.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kat1829

You are really brave! I am about to head off to Riyadh for a contract role.

Would not recommend Saudi Arabia for a woman on her own. Especially for someone brought up in the West. Jeddah is a lot more liberal than Riyadh. However:

You will still have to wear the abaya (black cloak) outside the compound.
No cinema, bars or decent bookshops.
You cannot easily meet anyone of the opposite sex outside the compound.
You cannot drive.
If you have a coffee on your own - as a solitary western woman - you will attract a crowd of young guys out to show off.

Life inside a western compound is fine - you can live as you choose and do/wear what you want. It is really vital you get into a compound.
Figure rent of SAR 80,000 per year mimimum for a one bed.

I have lived in Riyadh in an apartment outside a compound because of no available places. It is seriously boring.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

bananantoast is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest a compromise if you are seeking Middle East culture and looking for a decent package (salary, housing allowance, annual flight home, private medical etc) which you possibly wouldn't find in Turkey. Saudi is tough on women unless you find a great compound of expats but there's no guarantee that you will. Would suggest you look at UAE as you have the choice of working in Dubai on a good package but also the culture in Sharjah/Ab Dhabi who have large Brit expat communities also. Friends and family will not be permitted to visit you in Saudi and there are also the many restrictions listed above.
I've declined to go and live in Saudi with hubby as I much prefer the way of life and freedom (to some extent) in Sharjah. However, we're all different and only you can make the final decision. Good Luck whatever you decide :-)
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:03 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I will check out some of these other places. Glad i joined this as I am really only just starting to look seriously so its good to get some advice before I make any rash decisions.
Thanks guys
I would rather live in an Igloo, alone wearing only a frilly pair of french Knickers and a smile than live in 1476. A truly hideous place made tolerable only by the pay cheque and your neighbours on a compound.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:37 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Human Resources/ Recruitment and some other positions are exclusively for Saudis only.
Women can work in schools or medical, and from recently - in lingerie or perfume shops and as cashiers. Unless you are very qualified and well paid doctor you will not be able to afford living in Arabian Homes. As a teacher you may be provided with an apartment or some shared accommodation in compound or outside.

Yes, you must wear abaya, not use alcohol and don't drive. And that's it, and only in public.
As for westerners there are no any problems for mixed gatherings in the city, or overland or sea diving trips.
(I'm talking about Jeddah, in Riyadh may be a bit different)

IMHO Saudi has very rich cultural and natural variety, just because it is huge country, not the "one fishermen's village" like the other Gulf countries.

Don't listen to advises of those who "never would go to Saudi".
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=northbadawi;10347974

Don't listen to advises of those who "never would go to Saudi".[/QUOTE]

DO listen to those who have been there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.