Reload this Page >

Considering a move to the Middle East

Considering a move to the Middle East

Old Aug 17th 2019, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Paperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a move to the Middle East

Good afternoon,

My wife and I are considering a move to the middle east.

We are in our 50s, have no children, and spent more than 6 years living in Japan during the 90s, so we have some idea of expat living.

I have a background in education, having taught for more than 20 years. First in Japan as a language instructor (as many have). I then taught in Australian High Schools before returning to teach in the UK. I hold a Bachelor of Arts (English Lit), a Bachelor of Education, a postgrad certificate in vocational counselling, and I am currently completing a Masters in Digital Communication and Education. Priot to teaching I managed a small store for a couple of years, worked as a software developer for three years (back in the 80s - I couldn't write databases now), and was employed in a civil service role. I have spent the past year working in Higher Education in a non-teaching role.

I am looking for an education/training role, but not in the classroom. I've looked at the regular employment agencies, and the teaching salaries don't seem particularly high. Also, I'm not too interested in teaching as such.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas of where I could continue my search, or any other advice regarding employment with my skills?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

HeyJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering a move to the Middle East

Considering your situation, my recommendation is Qatar. Try with Qatar Foundation or other similar governmental institutions. I believe QP pays their own teachers. Might be similar in Ras Laffan Industrial City. The Uni might be a good idea also.
Not much help, but I'm from a different trade :-)
Old Sep 9th 2019, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a move to the Middle East

I would have recommended that you look for training program analyst positions with Saudi Aramco on their website. They're pretty rare, but they should at least have one to advertise as I left a few months ago.

However, your age is against you particularly for that role and in the Gulf in general as mandatory retirement age is techincally 60. I wouldn't recommend any other education role in Saudi except direct hire Aramco and they are pretty strict about that 60 cutoff date.

Personally, I'd recommend you head back to Japan. Prices and salaries have pretty much been frozen since the 90s so you can have a pretty good lifestyle still. If you still speak Japanese (and you should have done after 6 years there) then you might be able to pick up a managment position at an eikaiwa which will keep you out of the classroom enough.