Consequences...

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:15 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences...

Originally Posted by mission
Mate its a frigging dawg eat dawg world out there, i aint going to loose any sleep if i can do a runner - hell you'd be a complete douche bag to hand over your savings to pay off a debt, when there's the possibility of going back to your home country without having any repercussions. Hence my thread on this matter.
Why dont you sell your car to pay off the loan? You may then have a balance to pay of some/all of your credit card.

I thought the idea behind having money, is to pay off any 'dues' you owe. Calling them 'savings' and 'a debt' clouds the issue. Surely its more a case of 'income' and 'outgoings'.

The analogy of taking goods from a store without paying because the security isnt working and you 'can do it' is a good one. It's theft all the same. You have taken something of value (money or goods) without paying the seller, and without the owner/sellers permission. Because you can get away with it, doesnt make it right.

Too many people are using the (bad) laws in UAE on debt and bankruptcy as an excuse to run with the money whilst leaving the debt behind.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you already know what you would do, why start the thread?
because if you read my post, i am trying to figure out IF there any consequences.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:18 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

because if you read my post, i am trying to figure out IF there any consequences.
i.e. you want to know if you can get away with it (taking the money and running).
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Why dont you sell your car to pay off the loan? You may then have a balance to pay of some/all of your credit card.

I thought the idea behind having money, is to pay off any 'dues' you owe. Calling them 'savings' and 'a debt' clouds the issue. Surely its more a case of 'income' and 'outgoings'.

The analogy of taking goods from a store without paying because the security isnt working and you 'can do it' is a good one. It's theft all the same. You have taken something of value (money or goods) without paying the seller, and without the owner/sellers permission. Because you can get away with it, doesnt make it right.

Too many people are using the (bad) laws in UAE on debt and bankruptcy as an excuse to run with the money whilst leaving the debt behind.
Selling the car isnt really an option, since we all know second hand cars have virtually little to zero resale value over here.

Ok i agree with your analogy about it being 'theft', although in essence it isnt theft as per se, i didnt go out and rob the bank, the bank gave me a car loan and gave me the credit cards. I didn't 'stea' it from them.

My point is that i have heard that the banks arent interested in any repayment plan and want the debt paid out right - this is why i am asking what i'm asking......if it was common knowledge that one could walk into their bank, say they have lost their job and are willing to work out some repayment plan, then i wouldnt even have posted this thread up.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

i.e. you want to know if you can get away with it (taking the money and running).
exactly. Although from what i've heard, it is possible, but i'm trying to ascertain if there are any repercussions back in your home country and from what i know, there aren't since the banks over here arent linked to the banks over there. But all this is heresay and hence the reason for my post.

Last edited by mission; Jan 3rd 2010 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

And the douche bag has apparently had savings in the bank (which earn next to nothing) while paying upwards of 20-30% annual interest on credit cards.

Whatever she gains from this exercise she has already lost through stupidity over time anyway...and no doubt will do the same again in the next country.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

exactly.
well here's hoping you don't get away with what you think you will...this attitude to running off and leaving debt makes me sick...no sodding morals, at all...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jeeper
And the douche bag has apparently had savings in the bank (which earn next to nothing) while paying upwards of 20-30% annual interest on credit cards.

Whatever she gains from this exercise she has already lost through stupidity over time anyway...and no doubt will do the same again in the next country.
hahaha you joker, i see i hit a raw nerve
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that i have heard that the banks arent interested in any repayment plan and want the debt paid out right - this is why i am asking what i'm asking......if it was common knowledge that one could walk into their bank, say they have lost their job and are willing to work out some repayment plan, then i wouldnt even have posted this thread up.
There have been many unfortunate people who have been unlucky enough to have found themselves in that position (but without ability to repay debt).
Due to the antiquated laws of this country....I fully agree with their decision to do a runner. However, many people, including many who have posted on here, have asked what would happen if they did a runner and tried to repay debt from UK (or wherever) rather than go to jail here.
Respect to them.

But to come on here and ask if you can take money and get away with it is an insult to yourself, an insult to those who currently sit in jail, an insult to those who made tough decisions to abandon their life and friends here to bail to avoid jail etc etc. the list is long of people who have made tough decisions in the past year.

Your 'decision' just ******s me right offf frankly.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 3rd 2010 at 3:34 pm. Reason: Sound Korean.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:28 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Selling the car isnt really an option, since we all know second hand cars have virtually little to zero resale value over here.

Ok i agree with your analogy about it being 'theft', although in essence it isnt theft as per se, i didnt go out and rob the bank, the bank gave me a car loan and gave me the credit cards. I didn't 'stea' it from them.

It depends what the car is. There aren't many cars in Dubai which would sell for next to nothing or zero, look on SZ Road. Even if it doesnt meet the balance of the loan (which I doubt), it is still an option to go part way to redeeming the debt on the car.

Theft is taking something which doesnt belong to you, or is due to someone else. You dont have to go into a bank and steal money to be a theif.

I understand when people (stupidly, to be honest) have gotten into excessive debt, e.g. Chris Fisher and run away with nothing in their pocket (Although Fisher nicely 'pocketed' a house in Cyprus bought with his UAE cash). What I dont understand is when someone runs away with a nice sum whilst leaving a large loan debt or credit card debt behind.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
well here's hoping you don't get away with what you think you will...this attitude to running off and leaving debt makes me sick...no sodding morals, at all...
screw morals, its all about earning the bucks and taking what you can

you white folks crack me up....seating there making judgements calls lol, typical white brits.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

hahaha you joker, i see i hit a raw nerve
No raw nerves here....if you've read any of my posts you'll know I've had no debt here, no property exposure, no car loan.
I've worked, saved, sometimes gone without....and this year I reap some of the rewards.....You.....what will yo do....run off with a few thousand dirhams and a cloud over your head......yeah....raw nerves....i'm hurting.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

There have been many unfortunate people who have been unlucky enough to have found themselves in that position (but without ability to repay debt).
Due to the antiquated laws of this country....I fully agree with their decision to do a runner. However, many people, including many who have posted on here, have asked what would happen if they did a runner and tried to repay debt from UK (or wherever) rather than go to jail here.
Respect to them.

But to come on here and ask if you can take money and get away with it is an insult to yourself, an insult to those who currently sit in jail, an insult to those who made tough decision to abandon their life and friends here to bail to avoid jail etc etc. the list is long of people who have made tough decision in the past year.

Your 'decision' just ******s me right offf frankly.
oh please save me the drama speech.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

screw morals, its all about earning the bucks and taking what you can

you white folks crack me up....seating there making judgements calls lol, typical white brits.
i feel sorry for you...and you will get what you deserve...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

No raw nerves here....if you've read any of my posts you'll know I've had no debt here, no property exposure, no car loan.
I've worked, saved, sometimes gone without....and this year I reap some of the rewards.....You.....what will yo do....run off with a few thousand dirhams and a cloud over your head......yeah....raw nerves....i'm hurting.
carry on making assumptions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.