Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Confused from Cambridge

Confused from Cambridge

Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:31 am
Banned

SimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to all
Default Confused from Cambridge

OK, I've looked thru most of the salary etc. posts, and I'm in Dubai for a 3rd and final interview that takes place tomorrow.

So my question is; on preliminary discussions my potential employers have intimated that they'll match my UK package, does that usually mean as an all in figure or a Basic + Housing etc. figure, in essence will the ₤100k or so they're talking about include or exclude housing, perks etc.?

The organisation is a major banking group here and I'm hoping to manage the team that look after their "platinum" level private clients.

Thanks for any help you can give.

SM
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused from Cambridge

Originally Posted by SimpleMind
OK, I've looked thru most of the salary etc. posts, and I'm in Dubai for a 3rd and final interview that takes place tomorrow.

So my question is; on preliminary discussions my potential employers have intimated that they'll match my UK package, does that usually mean as an all in figure or a Basic + Housing etc. figure, in essence will the ₤100k or so they're talking about include or exclude housing, perks etc.?

The organisation is a major banking group here and I'm hoping to manage the team that look after their "platinum" level private clients.

Thanks for any help you can give.

SM
Different employers take different approaches as to whether they give a high basic + no allowance, or a lower basic + perks. Are they matching your UK salary after tax, or before tax? What are your housing needs? Education needs?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:43 am
Banned

SimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to allSimpleMind is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Different employers take different approaches as to whether they give a high basic + no allowance, or a lower basic + perks. Are they matching your UK salary after tax, or before tax? What are your housing needs? Education needs?
They're suggesting that they'll match my overall package before tax, that's all that's been mentioned thus far. It's just me moving here, so no education needs, maybe some would argue that it's me who needs the education, I don't know. Housing, any penthouse will do!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

They're suggesting that they'll match my overall package before tax, that's all that's been mentioned thus far. It's just me moving here, so no education needs, maybe some would argue that it's me who needs the education, I don't know. Housing, any penthouse will do!
I'd say you'll be fine, then. Unless you've your heart set on buying a helicopter....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:52 am
Banned

I'd say you'll be fine, then. Unless you've your heart set on buying a helicopter....
Well it'll be a better option than the Sheik Zayad Road to Deira every day I guess. Parking might be an issue mind you.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it'll be a better option than the Sheik Zayad Road to Deira every day I guess. Parking might be an issue mind you.
Best of luck with your final interview, and welcome to Dubai! There are some members here in banking who might be able to give you good advice, and loadsa people who'll give advice on anything else. Often unsolicited!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:11 am
Banned

loadsa people who'll give advice on anything else. Often unsolicited!
That sounds worrying
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE....

If you have done a search already then there isn't much advice left to give and you will have found out about the high rents, the fact that you have to pay a year in advance, the traffic situation etc etc.

So, how do you like Dubai so far...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MataHari
Welcome to BE....

If you have done a search already then there isn't much advice left to give and you will have found out about the high rents, the fact that you have to pay a year in advance, the traffic situation etc etc.

So, how do you like Dubai so far...

Well it's certainly a revalation, and to be honest, my second impression - I was here for my second interview a month ago - is that it sure beats working in The Strand.

Time will tell.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it's certainly a revalation, and to be honest, my second impression - I was here for my second interview a month ago - is that it sure beats working in The Strand.

Time will tell.
A lot of my happiest memories are on The Strand... mind you, I never worked there. I was a student!! Is Gordons Wine bar still open??
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:26 am
Banned

A lot of my happiest memories are on The Strand... mind you, I never worked there. I was a student!! Is Gordons Wine bar still open??

On the walk down to the embankment?

Yep, still there, and just opposite my place too. Many a quiet night spent there.

http://www.gordonswinebar.com/
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the walk down to the embankment?

Yep, still there, and just opposite my place too. Many a quiet night spent there.

http://www.gordonswinebar.com/
Thanks for the link! Great to see that Simon Gordon still runs it - he was always mincing about & moaning about shutting it down, & that was in the early 90's... I'll have to pay a visit there this summer...

That's made my day, cheers!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:32 am
Banned

Thanks for the link! Great to see that Simon Gordon still runs it - he was always mincing about & moaning about shutting it down, & that was in the early 90's... I'll have to pay a visit there this summer...

That's made my day, cheers!
Camp as Christmas mate, and great fun, so much better atmosphere and better priced than many other poncey bars around there.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Camp as Christmas mate, and great fun, so much better atmosphere and better priced than many other poncey bars around there.
i know the one - the bar, not the man - once got chucked out

Was handy for a final drink before running across H'ford Bridge to catch the last train back to 'leafy' Surrey!

that and the Tatty moored the other side of Embankment.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
that and the Tatty moored the other side of Embankment.
eeuuwww...the Tatty is grim...!!!

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.