Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Compunds in Riyadh best for young families

Compunds in Riyadh best for young families

Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

nikedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compunds in Riyadh best for young families

We're in the final processes of interview and have been reading threads on this forum for a while. I understand that spaces in compounds in Riyadh are like Rocking Horse poo, so though I'd be really brave and post a question asking which compound you would recommend for a family of 4 (daughters aged 3 & 4). We're a social family Husband (31) is a rugby and fitness fan and I'm a stay at home mum (almost 30) who loves her horses (although doubt I'll get much riding done in Riyadh!) and generally an active life, eating out etc etc. Feels like I'm writing a ad for 'the personals'!
If you could be so kind to recommend a couple of compounds for me to google (would like to bring dog too if possible)
Thank you
Nikki
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice
Default Re: Compunds in Riyadh best for young families

In reality most of the upmarket compounds are family orientated - if you love your horses - Arizona Compound is for you.

Other than that - you'll want to look at and contact ASAP:
Al Hamra (British School),
Eid,
Cordoba,
Kingdom,
Seder Village, etc
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Danajj
In reality most of the upmarket compounds are family orientated - if you love your horses - Arizona Compound is for you.

Other than that - you'll want to look at and contact ASAP:
Al Hamra (British School),
Eid,
Cordoba,
Kingdom,
Seder Village, etc
Thank you very much - I'll get on to it!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

This will help also

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/COMPOUNDS_IN_RIYADH

I'd really advise getting your employer to sort this out for you - the waiting lists are a joke.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was there (three months ago) they didn't actually have horses on Arizona - but you can ride I think at Dhirab Golf course.

N
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can ride horses at the Gold club and many other things to do as well not just the ahhh swish fukc it game.
http://www.dirabgolf.com/contact.aspx
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed you want to bring the dog too - a lot of the compounds have communal gardens or no gardens at all really. Kingdom Compound 3bed+ villas have private walled gardens which are great for dogs. Arizona has deer and stuff wandering around - not so great if you have dogs like mine who would eat them - and communcal gardens. Some of the villas in Al Hamra have fenced off gardens, but the majority don't and the size of the garden varies from villa to villa. Don't think any of the villas on Cordoba have gardens. Sedar Villas have gardens, some larger than others. ALso has a vet onsite which is always useful.

Guess it depends on how big your dog is and how used to being able to run around outside it is.

N
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

This Arizona Place seems amazing Horses and now Deer! Mini schnauzer is very used to horses, deer, wild boar- it's all here in the Forest of Dean! I've tried Goolging these compound names and not coming up with much do the compounds have websites? as employers are asking for compound names and it's so hard going blind- will have to just go to one near the British School I think.
Thank you for your help
N x
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Have found the Arizona Golf course which I guess is attached to the compound. Not sure what the housing allowance is yet and guess this place will be too dear but out of interest how far is it to drive from British/International School to Arizona?

As the garden situations vary so much looks like we'll be leaving the pooch behind which should broaden our options a bit.
N x
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

From Arizona to British School is about 10 minutes. Al Hamra is connected to BISR so you can walk through the back entrance. People do have dogs on Arizona - they are better trained than mine tho and don't rush out the door every time it opens!

Most of the compounds have websites, but don't post prices.

N
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:29 am
Just Joined

squshman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've spent (in a few separate stints) quite a bit of time in Saudi (13 years!)and I have to say that the compound I'm living on now is one of the most active. Most of my previous compounds were like ghost towns at times! Kingdom City here in Riyadh is great. Plenty of child friendly activity areas and a great communal pool area which is really well used.

I've been 'back' for a around 2 weeks now and I'm planning on taking some pics later today to send to my daughters back in UK. PM me and I'll send you some if you like.

The info I've received on a couple of the other 'premium' compounds:

1. Arizona - Quiet, but as previous posters have stated - it has a golf course and deer running around etc. Mainly full of older senior Exec types who like their P&Q!

2. Al Hamra - This was the compound attacked by AQ a few years ago. Good security now (as with all Riyadh expat compounds) and well family orientated.

I really don't think you'd go wrong with Kingdom - my neighbours have a dog and a young family also. They love it.

The waiting list is another story!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

I lived on Kingdom - thought it was like a bad 3* holiday camp - but tbh I hate compound living. It is marginally better now they have upgraded the restaurant / coffee shop tho.

If I had to go back I would opt for Al Hamra.

N
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:15 am
Just Joined

squshman is an unknown quantity at this point

3* holiday camp! Like that! Perhaps I could initiatiate a dress code change to have the compound workers start to wear red coats?

4pm at the pool. Aqua Aerobics.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

You'll be wanting karaoke next . . .

N