British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Compounds for Western Families in Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/compounds-western-families-riyadh-859435/)

Swansea Jun 3rd 2015 11:49 am

Compounds for Western Families in Riyadh

Hi Seniors - I am in the process of making my move to Riyadh and wanted to know if any one could recommend compounds for western families.

Also some indication of the rental cost.

I am being offered 115K SAR per year towards housing, I am trying to negotiate but do not know if I would be able to negotiate any higher.

Looking for advise.

FriendlyExpat Jun 4th 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Compounds for Western Families in Riyadh

115k isn't enough. You might get an apartment/bungalow in something like sedar village or fal compound (both low-ish end compounds, but a good social life) for 140-150k. For a decent compound you're looking at around 200k+ for a 2 bed flat and 275k+ for a house. I would try to negotiate higher.

NB Lots of people insist on the employer providing a compound house rather than having to find it yourself.

Good compounds off the top of my head:

Al Nakhla - has just come on line but tiny houses, crammed in as close together as possible and crazily expensive prices being quoted (160k for tiny 1 bed flat, 220k for tiny 2-bed flat, 325k for 2 bed tiny house, 375k for 3 bed tiny house, 575k for executive villa). On the upside the compounds has excellent and huge central facilities. They're open to 20%+ reductions if you bargain (I suspect they're struggling to get residents due to the homes being too small and waaaay overpriced). Direct access to a huge supermarket (Danube).

Al Bustan - another new compound, nice quality, huge, 1,000+ homes, bit too much concrete, really excellent facilities (best in Riyadh). expensive I think (slightly less than Al Nakhla)

Arizona - old and terribly maintained, bit shabby, poor social life and difficult management, but nice homes, golf course and looks spacious and is the greenest compound in riyadh. not overcrowded and very quiet. 220k for 2 bed flat, 275k for 3 bed villa, 300k for 3 bed villa close to golf course. very few activities for residents so wife/kids might get bored.

California - brand new apartments-only compound owned by arizona, not sure about pricing or facilities. should be cheaper than arizona but over crowded; much newer and presumably better maintained.

Kingdom - excellent compound, difficult to get into, houses have their own private gardens. best social life of any compound in riyadh (they do a famous coffee morning). lots of activities for residents. Expensive but less so than the other top compounds. Very highly rated (possibly overall best in Riyadh).

Najd Compound - 300k ish, nice but dull. no resident activities.

Cordoba - supposed to be very nice but never been. Expensive (at a guess, 250k+ for a villa)

Al Hamra - very good large compound, excellent social life and activities and facilities, well maintained. Was attacked in 2003 (if that bothers you). Also expensive (again at a guess, 250k+ for a villa).

Yo Mama Compound. 300k ish, pleasant but dull. very large homes.

MORE AFFORDABLE COMPOUNDS

Fal Compound - one of the most affordable compounds, supposed to be OK, but it will be a notch down from the top compounds I suspect. Never been. Not sure of exact prices but probably around 130k.

Seder Village - excellent social life, lots of resident activities. houses are small bungalows and it has pretty good facilities. 140k gets you a 3 bed bungalow I think. long way outside riyadh and slightly dodgy neighbourhood.

flares Jun 6th 2015 8:11 am

Also depends on where you'll be working and where the kids go to school. Arabian Homes good.

Swansea Jun 6th 2015 1:54 pm

We are looking for British school.

Do you happen to know what the rent at Arabian Homes? Is it near to British school?

scot47 Jun 6th 2015 5:42 pm

Frankly, if your employer cannot be bothered to sort this out for you, you might have a difficult time in Riyadh.

nonthaburi Jun 7th 2015 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Swansea (Post 11667732)
We are looking for British school.

Do you happen to know what the rent at Arabian Homes? Is it near to British school?

Al Hamra is best for the British School, although Najd, Eid Villas, Granada Village, Nakheel Village are all close by.

Disagree about what someone said about Najd having no activities, they have a very good pub/bar/restaurant there. What more do you need!

sameeRK77 Jun 18th 2015 8:58 am

Al Hamra has been the "brand" of the compound market in Riyadh though things have changed now from locality to quality.

Swansea Jun 19th 2015 9:47 pm

Does any one know about Yamama Compiund??

Kill Switch Jun 28th 2015 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Swansea (Post 11679880)

Hello
I lived in Al Yamama compound until feb this year if this is the one you are referring to
New Page 2

located between exit 15 and 16
let me know what you interested in

Kill Switch Jun 28th 2015 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Swansea (Post 11679880)

I lived in Al Yamama ( between exit 15 and 16 ) if that's the one you interested in

Swansea Jun 28th 2015 11:21 am

Any thoughts on facilities, cost and mix of people mate pls.

Kill Switch Jun 28th 2015 12:40 pm

We were very happy there at Al Yamama 2. Al Yamama 1 is locals only and Al Yamama 3 is reserved for housing the National Guard medical staff.

The facilities are ok, they are somewhat older and include:
squash court, indoor basketball, sauna, gym, pool(billiards) room, outdoor swimming pool Olympic size, (building a new one), mini astro football(soccer) field, 3 kids play areas, 1 indoor kids' area.
Houses are spacious, the 3 bed villas are mostly free standing with some very nice garden space (upward of 330 sq/m).
2 bed villas are joined(share a wall) but still not feeling cramped(220-+ sq/m), with own personal space outside (most of them)
Biggest draw is that they are all single story! From what I recall, cost ranges from SR 200 000 for 2 bed flat to SR 360 000 for 3 bed villas (approximately; there is still the usual negotiating that goes around this).

Unfortunately, when the American school moved to the north almost all of the families moved out (including us).
An American-based training group has taken almost all of the villas now. While most of the people were really nice and friendly, very few brought their families with.
We still have friends who live there and they are happy (they don't have kids). They have mentioned it's a lot quieter now without the families and wives at home.

When we were there it was very dominated by western families. I believe the American group has taken over most of the villas now.

The staff are generally very friendly and helpful, but there is not much in terms of arranged activities other than twice daily bus trips to the malls etc. They are open to assist in arranging any trips or activities provided that there is enough interest in the event.

What else are you keen to know?

tomstoj Jun 28th 2015 12:56 pm

The other option is to live in luxury apartment. More buildings like that are being built nowadays and the prices are around 80-130K / year. The only problem with that type of housing is they don't provide the amount of activities as compounds so you can expect nice gym, pool, courtyard and that's it. But it's some alternative if company doesn't want to pay you more than 110 K.
Of course it all depends what you expect and whether you come with family or single. For single you can find something below 110K on the compound no doubt. It will be studio but it's absolutely doable.
In the apartment building I'm speaking 110K for a big 200 square meters apartment.

Adelso Oct 10th 2015 2:53 am

Hi Folks, I am joining the group since I am moving to Riyadh in Jan 2016. The company I will work for is offering me as part of the package a 2 or 3 bed villa in Arabian Homes. I am wondering how is life in Arabian Homes, is there someone living there at the moment? What about family life? Activities? Facilities and services?

I am moving with my wife and son of just 3 months of life, I am quite afraid for her cuz she is very active here in Caracas, Any suggestions?

Cheers, and thanks a lot!