Reload this Page >

Compounds in Riyadh

Compounds in Riyadh

Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

British Expat 555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compounds in Riyadh

Hi there !

I am currently working in the city and I am due to move to Riyadh imminently with my wife and our 14 months old baby. I have been going through the thankless task of trying to find suitable compound accommodation in Riyadh and so far it seems like it is mission impossible. I have contacted Al Hamra, Kingdom City, Arizona, Arabian Homes, Yamamah, Cordoba and Eid) - all fully booked with, apparently, waiting lists of 1 to 2 years !! My employer just set up an office in Riyadh so it does not yet have the contacts to get me in suitable compound accommodation straight away or even secure accommodation for the foreseeable future.

Am I missing something? Any tips, help would be gratefully received !!

Many thanks !
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compounds in Riyadh

Originally Posted by British Expat 555
Hi there !

I am currently working in the city and I am due to move to Riyadh imminently with my wife and our 14 months old baby. I have been going through the thankless task of trying to find suitable compound accommodation in Riyadh and so far it seems like it is mission impossible. I have contacted Al Hamra, Kingdom City, Arizona, Arabian Homes, Yamamah, Cordoba and Eid) - all fully booked with, apparently, waiting lists of 1 to 2 years !! My employer just set up an office in Riyadh so it does not yet have the contacts to get me in suitable compound accommodation straight away or even secure accommodation for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks !
Firstly - welcome to The Bored.

Secondly - this really won't do............. the golden rule here is that men who are about to start work out here and need information about anything get their wives to post the message on their behalf - don't let it happen again!!!!!!!!!

More seriously - it is difficult but you MUST put the ball back in your company's court. Under NO circumstances should you even set one foot in Riyadh without an assurance about somewhere to live. When I first came here (1992) you could just stay in a hotel for a few days while looking around then move in as soon as you found somewhere you liked.

No more - this place is packed.

Others will have suggestions/replies but they won't be very different from mine.

Sorry not to be more encouraging.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, have to concur with the the old boy Dean. You must make sure your company sorts out the accommodation for you. It is well known that the compounds in Riyadh are very full with waiting lists, leaving you to sort it out as newcomer will be a total nightmare.

Make sure they have something for you and family BEFORE coming out. Good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there !

Many thanks !

Man , it is really shameful how the companies are messing around with newbies over there......

Hiya Dean...how's things in the Magic Kingdom?
Am still stuck in Qatar, seems we are staying for some time to come, had an offer we could not refuse....Btw, heard Panchita's in KC is open again....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Man , it is really shameful how the companies are messing around with newbies over there......

Hiya Dean...how's things in the Magic Kingdom?
Am still stuck in Qatar, seems we are staying for some time to come, had an offer we could not refuse....Btw, heard Panchita's in KC is open again....
Panchita's? Good news travels fast..............

Sending you a PM............
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

British Expat 555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Firstly - welcome to The Bored.

Secondly - this really won't do............. the golden rule here is that men who are about to start work out here and need information about anything get their wives to post the message on their behalf - don't let it happen again!!!!!!!!!

More seriously - it is difficult but you MUST put the ball back in your company's court. Under NO circumstances should you even set one foot in Riyadh without an assurance about somewhere to live. When I first came here (1992) you could just stay in a hotel for a few days while looking around then move in as soon as you found somewhere you liked.

No more - this place is packed.

Others will have suggestions/replies but they won't be very different from mine.

Sorry not to be more encouraging.
Dean & all -

Thanks for the replies.

I am just trying to widen the net of compounds whilst obviously minimising the impact on the quality of the accommodation & facilities. One of the most important aspects is the nursery/pre-school for the little one. Would you suggest any other compounds apart of the ones mentioned in my earlier message (Arizona, Al Hamra, Kingdom City, Arabian Homes, Yamamah 3, Eid, Cordoba)? Do you guys have any feedback on Fal ? Again - many thanks ! This is proving a lot more cumbersome than anticipated...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Dean & all -

Thanks for the replies.

I am just trying to widen the net of compounds whilst obviously minimising the impact on the quality of the accommodation & facilities. One of the most important aspects is the nursery/pre-school for the little one. Would you suggest any other compounds apart of the ones mentioned in my earlier message (Arizona, Al Hamra, Kingdom City, Arabian Homes, Yamamah 3, Eid, Cordoba)? Do you guys have any feedback on Fal ? Again - many thanks ! This is proving a lot more cumbersome than anticipated...
does sound like a nightmare, wish you the best of luck. Sounds like you are going to need it!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think things are as bad as they sound - I know people who've just moved onto Kingdom Compound, only been in KSA a month- and it's not a company villa - so somehow they have jumped the queue . . . Also know another family who've just bagged a villa on Hamra and they've not been here long - again not a company villa. So probably worth calling the compounds and talking to the manager - be nice and see what happens.

A lot of companies seem to washing thier hands on getting accommodation, but as everyone says you should push them to sort you out. It's so much easier to be on a compound if you have a family - altho not impossible to be off compound.

Compounds with nurseries are Hamra (fab nursery, lovely administrator ), Arizona, Eid, Fal, Cordoba (I think), and of course the British School is next door to Hamra if that's where you would move your child onto.

Good luck
N
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:54 pm
RPC
Just Joined

RPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you got sorted out with a compound.

My son (4 next June) and I will join my husband in Riyadh a few months. We are supposed to be moving to the new phase of Al Yamamah compound off Junction 15. Anyone out there already living there or know of someone who could provide me with some info on the compound - facilities, playground, school buses, playschool (you know all the usual Mummy needs to know info). Left Riyadh 7 years ago, so looking forward to seeing all the changes. Used to live on Najd compound.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Al yamama has a pre-school/nursery, I have a friend who works there - will ask her for more info.

N
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:53 am
RPC
Just Joined

I'd really appreciate that. All advance info is of great assistance. Went out to Riyadh in 1997 as single female now back as the married mammy so it's a whole different focus this time.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nic1
Al yamama has a pre-school/nursery, I have a friend who works there - will ask her for more info.

N

how much is the 2 bedroom apt or small villa in Yamama?

any body have idea?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:21 pm
RPC
Just Joined

Well Al Yamama is a no goer. Apparently govt has moved in and taken over Phase 3 so we're back to square one ourselves looking for somewhere to live..... Anyone hear of a 2 bed going??
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

lambs_tail is an unknown quantity at this point

RPC, try Arabian Homes compound. I have heard that people are starting to leave Riyadh because they are losing their jobs.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:10 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lambs_tail
RPC, try Arabian Homes compound. I have heard that people are starting to leave Riyadh because they are losing their jobs.
hey lambs_tail, what job losses have you heard about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.