Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Compounds - Riyadh!!

Compounds - Riyadh!!

Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

shah1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compounds - Riyadh!!

I have actually called to enquire about every british/american compound in riyadh and every one seems to have such big waiting lists and not wantng to add anymore people on...

is any1 else in the same boat whats the best way to handle this, any suggestions??
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:51 am
jia
Forum Regular

jia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Compounds - Riyadh!!

my husband is leaving in sep and he will be looking for a villa or apartment .we are thinking of looking at something in a mix compound not totally western due to the long waiting list plus we would require a mosque as we are muslims,keeping our fingers corss of finding a decent place in a month, due you have any idea of the rents for furnished or unfurnished villas or apartments.
ru already in riyadh?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jia
my husband is leaving in sep and he will be looking for a villa or apartment .we are thinking of looking at something in a mix compound not totally western due to the long waiting list plus we would require a mosque as we are muslims,keeping our fingers corss of finding a decent place in a month, due you have any idea of the rents for furnished or unfurnished villas or apartments.
ru already in riyadh?
To answer both of you, there is a huge shortage of accomodation in compounds. Your best bet is to get a furnished apartment initially and search from there. Most compounds will shrug you off but it helps to make an appointment to see the compound manager and arrange for a visit to see the facilities and then confirm your interest and application.
Rentals are escalating-you are looking at anything between SAR100k-SAR280k for a 3 bed depending on the compounds. Smaller (about 20 villas) compounds are cheaper but might lack services such as bus transport(you'll need a driver then or wifey has to catch a taxi).
I suggest your husband first get the guide book Riyadh Today(try Jarir bookstore-his company might have a copy too and most compounds carries it)-it has a comprehensive list of compounds and contact numbers.
Good luck

Ps-Shia-the book also list where u can go for Arabic lessons-my wife was looking at it-I'll revert once she has details.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:02 am
jia
Forum Regular

jia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much rdan0209, i think you are right we should first rent a furnished apartment , and then go from there.
My husband would be in riyadh alone for 3 to 4 months and then we will join him so i guess he would have enough time to sort out the accomodation.\
1)how much do u think a one or 2 bed furnished will cost , as he will be alone we can also look at something outside the compoun.
2) Also do they have serviced apartments /hotels there, and how much do u think they are for?
3)we are hoping to send our son to either the american or british school and would need something close to it accomodation wise, if its not in the compound.
4)you mentioned buses, I am not sure how the buses work in saudi? can women go in the buses alone every where also in the taxi or with a driver.i was told that we can only move freely in a compound.so what happens in smallers compounds?can we go to malls in taxi i mean alone without husband.
i hope i am not asking for too much and i really thank you for all ur help.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

1) Depends on the compound-a 2 bed in the compound I am staying is SAR120k p/a
2) About SAR 5500 monthly for a 1 bed furnished that is decent and clean. 3 bed is about SAR7500
3) The schools are generally far out-British school is based at one of the compounds. I stayed in the city while waiting for a compound.
4) Lol-wouldn't send any lady on the bus here! You can get a taxi(called limo's here) pretty much anywhere. Yes, you can go to the malls freely without hubby. In smaller compounds you would have 2 options: a)employ a driver or b) catch a cab.
The larger established compounds provides a daily bus service to schools, malls. They would also have a contracted taxi service (although more expensive but they pick you up in front of your door-other taxis not allowed into the compound).