British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Compound Options in Riyadh and Prices! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/compound-options-riyadh-prices-871902/)

Tahir84 Feb 5th 2016 7:52 am

Compound Options in Riyadh and Prices!

hi all, I am putting together a salary figure which has to include accommodation and travel as the employer is not interested in dealing with these and is happy to pay a salary inclusive of the above. Can you experienced folks please suggest how and what to look for in the compounds. Maybe mention a few... where and how can I research on these. I have seen advice on forums (here) that its best to visit few before making a decision but if I was able to do that, it would be later on in the recruitment process. Hope it is making sensing! I am after a 2 bedroom flat/apartment which i think would be ample for my partner and an infant. what sort of prices are going currently?Also how much does is cost for a hire/lease car for a decent sized family car please?thanks

nottmbantam Feb 6th 2016 8:44 am

Re: Compound Options in Riyadh and Prices!

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 11858510)
hi all, I am putting together a salary figure which has to include accommodation and travel as the employer is not interested in dealing with these and is happy to pay a salary inclusive of the above. Can you experienced folks please suggest how and what to look for in the compounds. Maybe mention a few... where and how can I research on these. I have seen advice on forums (here) that its best to visit few before making a decision but if I was able to do that, it would be later on in the recruitment process. Hope it is making sensing! I am after a 2 bedroom flat/apartment which i think would be ample for my partner and an infant. what sort of prices are going currently?Also how much does is cost for a hire/lease car for a decent sized family car please?thanks

Compound Prices really does depend on standard / popularity of compound.

The newest one to open is California compound. I've not visited there, so cannot comment, but it is all apartment based. it is located very close to Exit 8 of the main ring road, so it's a good spot for the City and to get to and from the airport. I would imagine a good sized apartment would be in teh region of 175k to 200k SR a year.

In the same vicinity, there are a couple of older compounds.

FAL compound is popular with the Arabs, esp the Lebanese and it fairly cheap, as it's an older one. Just behind California is Cordoba, big accommodation units, but not cheap. Used to be IRO of 300k for a villa, apartments around 150k.

Next for to Cordoba and California is Arizona - perhaps the hardest one to get onto, as it's relatively small and quite exclusive, but tends to full of complete and utter cocks. Mainly Americans. Apartments are small and two beds were around 225k.

Al Bustan is still also relatively new, located in the district not far from Kingdom Hospital. An apartment there is I think IRO 200K pa. It is also not far from Kingdom compound, and the last time I check, Kingdom prices were around 200k for a two bed town house - but totally full and nothing available. The compound houses the fairly new American School.

Another new one is Al Nakheel compound, not far from California. Not sure on prices but again would expect an apartment to be around 200k a year.

Seder Village is the one I'm on - perhaps one of the cheapest in Riyadh, and it is probably one of the oldest. Houses are pretty flimsy, paper thin walls. A three bed bungalow is 145k a year, with a huge back garden. We've lived on there for over two years now and it IS without doubt , the best compound I've lived . Very social, very nice people, good basic facilities, good mix of nationalities and not too far from everything else. Two bed villas could be had for probably around 120k.

There is also Al Hamra - its a sister compound to Cordoba, and houses a lot of the teachers at the British School, as the school is one the same site. Two bed apartments start at 205k. Big compound, good standard.

Granada Compound. Not too far from the British School and Granada Mall. two bed apartment for 150k. Looked a bit empty last time I went.

Eid Compound. Used to be good, but now emptying at an alarming rate. Three bed villa for 250k. Next to Granada Compound, also good for British School.

Najd Compound. Next to Eid, close to Granada. Don't know much about it, but heard a few people who liked living there.

Ishbillia Compound. Not far from Seder, on King Abdullah Road. No idea on prices for this place. Seems to be gaining popularity.

So in summary:

Close to Exit 8 Region.
California - all apartments. Near to Exit 8
FAL Compound - opposite California. Lebanese central.
Cordoba Compound - behind California. Posh Lebanese.
Arizona - next to California and Cordoba. Full American wankers. Has a 9 hole golf course and wild deer.
Al Nakheel - around the corner from FAL/Arizona/ California / Cordoba. Still new

Kingdom Hospital Area
Al Bustan - A bit way out of town, just of Thummamah Road.American School
Kingdom Compound - Next to Kingdom Hospital.

British School / Granada Mall Region
Al Hamra - Near to Exit 8, same site as British School
Eid Compound. Reputation seems to be going downhill.
Granada Compound. 2 bed apartment for 150k, but I didn't like it when i visited, looked empty and a bit soulless.
Najd Compound - Don't know much, heard some good things.

King Abdullah Road Area
Seder Village. Budget Compound. Good social scene.
Ishbillia Compound. Heard lots of people are moving there.

Most compounds expect rent paid up in advance for the year ahead. Some include electricity / water - some charge you separately. You might be able to negotiate two x 6 monthly leases.

Most will have the basic set of facilities e.g shop / mini market; restaurant; swimming pool; gym; hairdressers; tailors and ubiquitous and detestable bowling alley.

As for cars, depends on what you want really - a decent sized family saloon eg Toyota Camry or SUV? Or something smaller? You can rent a Hyundai Accent for around 2k a month. How much do you want to pay?

Good Luck.

nottmbantam Feb 7th 2016 6:00 am

Forgot to mention Ranco Compound. Located off the Khurais Road, mix of property types and age of property, some old, some new. A few work colleagues live there, 2 bed apartment is 150k pa.

nonthaburi Feb 7th 2016 1:20 pm

Najd is very nice, and in its favour it has the nicest bar restaurant I've been to in Riyadh. They have live bands every so often too.

Granada village has filled up now. The pool has got a wave machine which is good for kids.

PPM50 Feb 7th 2016 6:07 pm

Job Offer in Riyadh - California Compound

Hi can any one help / advise. I have been offered an IT Job in Riyadh with a one bed apartment in the California compound. Does anyone have experience of the compound and any advice for moving to Riyadh. I am trying to way up the pros and cons of giving up my Job in the UK for this opportunity.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Tahir84 Feb 8th 2016 7:45 am

nottmbantam, many thanks for detailed description of compounds in Riyadh. This really is very useful. From what I can see is that for a half decent accommodation (2 bed apartment/villa) I am looking at on average between 150 - 200K a year. So will ask for 200K accommodation allowance and see where I get.
For cars, I am not sure what would be a good car to keep. Confused whether to go for an SUV or an executive saloon. Are German motors worth buying over in Saudi, are they as reliable and what about depreciation values etc. Is leasing better or buying a descent 2nd hand one?

nottmbantam Feb 8th 2016 12:01 pm

Most companies in Saudi will offer a housing allowance equivalent to 25% of basic / three monthly basic salaries. Some companies will just simply provide the accommodation and tell you where you will be living. As you're arranging for an allowance, you should be looking at the 25% / 3 monthly basic salaries as a guideline.

If you manage to get 150K, then would suggest somewhere like Ranco. If you want a villa for that money, then it's Seder. If you get more than that, then maybe look at Al Bustan or Al Nakheel.

In terms of cars, I've always bought used. Haven't looked at leasing. Most major dealers will always have offers on , especially during Ramadan and give you the option of finance.

There are a few web sites you can look at to give you an idea for buying used. Try to buy from a Western expat about to leave the country - those cars seem generally far better looked after.

German cars are available, though not around in large numbers. The market is dominated by Far East ( Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan etc ) or American. There are a few Mercs, BMW's and now more VW's available, they do depreciate quite quickly, but overall I find that used cars here generally tend to be more expensive than used cars in the UK for example.

As you know, the cost of petrol is stupidly cheap even after the 'massive' hike, so you might be tempted by a V8 that you wouldn't normally drive in the UK. I had a 7.4litre V8 Suburban - loved driving around in that.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't invest in an executive saloon, considering the completely insane driving standards. An SUV might give you an added sense of protection / elevation. Loads to choose from. High end is Lexus or Toyota Land Cruiser/ Nissan Patrol. You can also get a brand new Mitsubishi Pajero, top spec, zero miles for 108k SR. Loads of GMC and Chevy American tat available.

nottmbantam Feb 8th 2016 12:02 pm

PPM50 - replied to your question on the other thread.

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 12th 2016 4:04 pm

I like Sedar village....got a heap of friends living their, and they have some of the best events ...went to and awesome halloween ball there a year or 2 ago.
Another new compound is Al Reem..I was there as it had just opened so it was full and didn't have much buzz about it, but it has good facilities and probably has space still

71beltra Feb 15th 2016 7:41 am

Do you know Palms Estate Compound in Riyadh?

Hello everybody
I'm Italian but I find this forum really interesting and full of useful information.
Im moving soon to Riyadh, and i would like to get some info about Palms Estate Compound where I'll live.
Thank you in advance!
Stefano

Jonida Feb 22nd 2016 6:39 am

Hello guys
Im posted in a diplomatic mission in Riyadh but being a female it will be easer to live in the diplomatic compound, so can any one tell me how to be in touch with some "renting houses agencies there- to negotiate on line for finding and renting an appartment

I would appreciate some help and suggestions,
Jonida

nottmbantam Feb 23rd 2016 12:41 pm

My view, FWIW, is that get to Riyadh first, and rent a short term serviced apartment / hotel accommodation.

Once here, look around at the Diplomatic Quarter accommodation, as you will see for yourself the actual accommodation, location, etc and will be able to negotiate in person.

Tandy Feb 24th 2016 11:31 am

Hi, moving to Riyadh shortly and company is going to provide me with accommodation initially in either Al Reem or La Palma compound, any thoughts on these?

nottmbantam Feb 25th 2016 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tandy (Post 11877818)
Hi, moving to Riyadh shortly and company is going to provide me with accommodation initially in either Al Reem or La Palma compound, any thoughts on these?

Don't know La Palma - any idea where it is?

Al Reem is relatively new - opened within the last two years or so. It's on Thummammah Road, last time I drove past, it was kind of sitting there on its own, not much immediately nearby. Handy for the airport, and not too far from the big BAE Compound at Salwa, and not a million miles away from the Exit 8 area ( Cordoba, Arizona, Fal, California compounds)

Not actually been onto the compound itself, so can't comment on quality / standard. Where will you be working?

Tandy Feb 25th 2016 10:07 am

La Palma is just off the King Fahd Road in north Riyadh and close to Jzala Compound 3 and Al Yamamah University. From google map, it looks like it is well handy for the airport.

I will be commuting and working in the Al Kharj area so I am guessing it will be about 1.5hours commute each way.... Looks like I will need to be pushing for accommodation down south of Riyadh....