Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Completing N138 to pay National Insurance whilst overseas - which class?

Completing N138 to pay National Insurance whilst overseas - which class?

Old Apr 2nd 2016, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completing N138 to pay National Insurance whilst overseas - which class?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, but that could change at any time between you leaving the UK and reaching retirement age. You should keep up with any news and developments, and potentially be prepared to pay for additional years right up to the moment you retire. Also make sure the DWP has your current address so they can contact you.
Thanks. Much as I thought.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completing N138 to pay National Insurance whilst overseas - which class?

I asked about any shortfall to HMRC regarding NIC and got a statement through back in January. They gave me a table of what I would need to back pay for the last 6 years (upwards of 4,000 GBP - assume these are Class 3). It only mentioned potential eligibility for paying class 2 on the reverse of one of the pages.

Incase anyone here is interested the deadline to pay for the 2010-2011 tax year without any penalty is 5th April 2019,and a final time limit of 5th April 2023.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I asked about any shortfall to HMRC regarding NIC and got a statement through back in January. They gave me a table of what I would need to back pay for the last 6 years (upwards of 4,000 GBP - assume these are Class 3). ....
Yup, Class 3 is about £715/yr
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can recommence at any time, and have the opportunity to pay six years in arrears, but you are not obligated to do so. If you are eligible for Class 2 contributions you would be recommended to pay the arrears because they are a bargain, around £143/yr. From 2018 Class 2 is no longer going to be an option for expats, and Class 3 contributions (which everyone is assuming will be the alternative), run £730/yr, so grabas many "Class 2 years" as you can!

You have apply for and request Class 2 contributions, but if you were employed before and after you emigrated you should be approved easily.
Thanks PULASKI, much appreciated
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Under current rules you can restart paying at any time but this is optional. No obligation to make any back payments.

I'd suggest you obtain a forecast (google BR19) and find out how many years you have in the system so far to see where you stand.
Muchas Gracias MEOW
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

sharmac is an unknown quantity at this point

i moved to the us in 2006 - and paid voluntary class3 for the 10 years i was there - but i now realize that i was probably eligible for class 2 - is there anything i can do?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharmac
I moved to the US in 2006 - and paid voluntary Class 3 for the 10 years I was there - but I now realize that I was probably eligible for Class 2 - is there anything I can do?
Contact the DWP and ask them. I wouldn't be too optimistic though.